Hobbies anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2018
ST. Lawrence Valley N.Y.
Slow time of the year so I thought it might be worth seeing what hobbies forum members may have other than collecting wood.

Last edited:
I have been collecting 19th century decorated stoneware for several years and was lucky enough to come across this beauty at a garage sale, Circa 1880-1884.

AC90B3E4-FB55-4D03-B905-C9590D2D4DBD.jpeg

Last edited:
My hobby is collecting Suiseki. Suiseki is a Japanese word for stones that resemble miniature mountains and landscape forms. They are often displayed with bonsai. It is extremely popular in oriental countries. It is a great outdoor pastime, finding great art forms along the bottoms of creeks mostly.

Some of my rocks.

rock 3013.JPG Rock2 d037.JPG 100_0557.JPG 100_0227.JPG 100_0230.JPG

My hobby is collecting Suiseki. Suiseki is a Japanese word for stones that resemble miniature mountains and landscape forms. They are often displayed with bonsai. It is extremely popular in oriental countries. It is a great outdoor pastime, finding great art forms along the bottoms of creeks mostly.

Some of my rocks.

View attachment 297201 View attachment 297202 View attachment 297203 View attachment 297204 View attachment 297205
Nice collection , can pieces like these be found anywhere in the country or limited to specific locations.

Nice collection , can pieces like these be found anywhere in the country or limited to specific locations.
They are usually only found in specific spots. However, those spots can be found anywhere, as most people would pass right by them without giving them any notice. There is an old saying in Suiseki: “ The art of Suiseki is in the mind of the beholder”

A tree fell over in 2018. I decided not to let it rot away so I have been making stuff from it. So chain saw milling had been a hobby for a while. Not sure what to do when it’s gone. There’s more but you get the idea.

F4864532-C24B-4ED1-873B-4D1B45A72849.jpeg 7A062D53-FB1A-453A-B508-49DF3A2DF02E.jpeg 62D161F2-99D0-4DFD-B49E-7AAC3851D575.jpeg BFA144C5-D43A-41DE-9AD0-9E97E3EF565D.jpeg CC71DE5D-AB21-4D02-9F10-CB259C65446A.jpeg 5548019E-4334-4642-9E3D-38A2D81ABA52.jpeg A68BBD82-0AD5-456F-A114-BD5E37BEAEDF.jpeg

Some of my rocks.

View attachment 297201 View attachment 297202 View attachment 297203 View attachment 297204 View attachment 297205
Good idea kids like to take rocks from places we visit.

Reactions: EbS-P
I wonder around the woods looking for edible plants and mushrooms. Woods nettle is my favorite plant these days.

Do you brew your own? That was a hobby of mine several years, but I got sick of washing and capping bottles but the beer was great.
Yes. I have 4 five gallon soda kegs. Makes it a lot less work. Have only brewed 10 gallons in 11 years. But we go through at least 5 gallons of soda water a week. It’s been updated to a prettier and more usable unit with a freezer.

956026C2-8CB4-4E99-995F-1B8F9D5CA8D1.jpeg

Reactions: woodey
Let’s see, there was the hand tool woodworking phase. I’d go out on weekends to estate sales, junk shops, etc and pick up woodworking tools. Almost all of my equipment is older than WWII. I stopped the rust hunting aspect when I realized I was doing projects and no longer saying I wish I had xx tool. I’d already found it.

Recently I went on a road trip with the wife and kid. We camped almost the entire time. They hinted they’d like to try backpacking. I’ve been running around gathering my old pre wife and kid equipment and seeing what still works, what’s still being made 20 years after purchase, what needs repairs, etc. it looks like I need a new fuel bottle for my stove (no idea where that went), knew about a broken tent pole for a tent too small for a family -it’s not a good idea to suggest your wife set up a tent in the rain. IT IS NOT MOTIVATION) and a water filter which I never bought before. Oh, and a backpack. I have no want to use a giant external frame backpack anymore, lol. So, this is a hobby that looks like it’s starting back up.

My children say I have too many hobbies, and they are probably right. The main one right now is this one.
A665AE36-3366-4067-8086-7A9545A2284C.jpeg
Right now working on putting a QA1 coil over suspension on the rear. I will do the front suspension, also. The only problem is, this is an expensive hobby…

My children say I have too many hobbies, and they are probably right. The main one right now is this one.
View attachment 297265
Right now working on putting a QA1 coil over suspension on the rear. I will do the front suspension, also. The only problem is, this is an expensive hobby…
Frame looks solid, what year is the truck.?

Very cool!

Nice! Do you know the approximate age (e.g. from features? - I have zero knowledge about these things, but imagine it could be 500 yes old or thousands of years?)

Spears were used by Missouri Indians up until colonists wiped out their food supply and took their homelands. That would be as recent as 150 yrs. ago.

Reactions: woodey
Sure. But they were also used at the start of the presence of what we now call native American Indians (I think) here.

not important but it's something I would ask myself: when was the last time someone touched this thing....

I really am enjoying reading about all these hobbies. My main hobby is my garden and food forest and fiddling with the fiddle once in a while. But I just wanted to say I am enjoying this thread.

@Grizzerbear. I have a number of Indian arrowheads and civil war bullets from my grandparent's farm in Virginia that I collected about 50-55+ years ago when I was a young boy.

I enjoy arrowhead hunting. I have since I was a boy. I found this saturday while my oldest daughter and i went for a walk up a creek bed. First spear point i have found. It was nearly fully intact.
Nice!! As a kid I was always looking for arrowheads but never found one. I bought a box lot several years ago at an auction and these were in it. I know nothing about them other than the fact that I like them.

7144F461-4F95-48DA-A356-0A011F419242.jpeg

Nice! Do you know the approximate age (e.g. from features? - I have zero knowledge about these things, but imagine it could be 500 yes old or thousands of years?)
Lol....well to the best of my knowledge which is limited.... based off of books like Overstreet identification and referencing off of Missouri State Universities collection I believe that it's a Etley style spearpoint from the late archaic period which was made anywhere from 2500-800 b.c. So many questions come to mind when I find one. It's just always been something I really enjoy doing. Getting to physically touch history and hold it in your hand.