Holy crap! It actually looks like a truck!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
WOLF+™ TRUCK
Starting MSRP US$40,000 to US$48,000*
250 - 275+MI Range | Dual Motor 4WD, Single Motor RWD | 5.9S 0-60 MPH Acceleration | 3050kg (6724lbs) Towing Capacity**

provided it could be recharged without issue by my techs living in apartments.
That's the challenge though isn't it - getting charging in scenarios like that.

Wow, that really ticks all of my boxes for a future daily driver. I love the flat floor and front trunk.

Looks relativelyaffordable and practical, but I'm not holding my breath...

I wonder if small companies like this are hoping to be bought out by a bigger company and/or are a result of so much venture capital money searching for a place to be invested.

I'd sign my name up on their wait list if I weren't so cynical tonight. I do, though, wish them success , as I like their designs.

Reactions: bholler
Researching this truck company, I found relatively little news about it, which makes me think it's very small. That reminded me of a very recent statement from Warren Buffett where he was defending his company's relatively lack luster performance recently. Please excuse the slight tangent... Here is an extract from the Wall Street Jrnl of his comment:

Despite being critical of day traders, he did give some advice to those who have traded stocks for the first time in the past year. He said that a hundred years ago, it was clear that cars would be the future. Since then, there have been more than 2,000 companies in the car-making business that have gone under.

“There is a lot more to picking stocks than figuring out what is going to be a wonderful industry in the future,” Mr. Buffett said.

Reactions: sloeffle
That's the challenge though isn't it - getting charging in scenarios like that.

That's the only challenge. As a (small-7 vehicle but growing) fleet manager, I could dig getting rid of oil changes, brake jobs, etc. I just need my people to be able to refuel their vehicles conveniently, wherever they are. I dont care what the range is (within reason) if they can recharge quickly at any gas station. I was talking to a Tesla driver I caught charging. He said he could put on 100 miles in 15 minutes. I can work with that. My techs take pee breaks between stops anyway. But the chargers need to be as common as gas pumps. I can't have one of them blow a day of production because they forgot to charge their truck then had a rural route and ran out of battery.

The marketing/design on this truck is different. They don't advertise a 3 second 0-60. Its still a respectable 6 seconds though. I think they're after a different market.

That's the only challenge. As a (small-7 vehicle but growing) fleet manager, I could dig getting rid of oil changes, brake jobs, etc. I just need my people to be able to refuel their vehicles conveniently, wherever they are. I dont care what the range is (within reason) if they can recharge quickly at any gas station. I was talking to a Tesla driver I caught charging. He said he could put on 100 miles in 15 minutes. I can work with that. My techs take pee breaks between stops anyway. But the chargers need to be as common as gas pumps. I can't have one of them blow a day of production because they forgot to charge their truck then had a rural route and ran out of battery.

The marketing/design on this truck is different. They don't advertise a 3 second 0-60. Its still a respectable 6 seconds though. I think they're after a different market.
I could honestly do without the crazy power and acceleration. Anything under 8-ish seconds is fast enough for me to keep up with modern traffic. I like the practicality, but a version with less power, but keeping the AWD/4x4 would be cool.

Reactions: bholler
Nice looking truck but for now staying with what I had . Recently traded my old Ram for this 2021 Built To Serve Special Edition with Hemi and Off Road Package. 1930A506-30DE-40EF-A0AB-E704ACA4104D.jpegF5D84BFB-1FD9-450A-916D-6869A682C721.jpeg

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Reminds me of the the pre T-100 Toyotas. Toyota is still selling the designed in 1970s LJ70 variants in other parts of the world and there are reportedly electric versions being built. (they can not be sold in the US as they would have no hope of meeting NHTSA requirements) Practically I generally wonder why some entity would just buy in production body panels and then modify a chassis to fit under it? Several large firms are offering front and rear axles with an integrated motors in them. They fit where the regular axles sit and use the same suspension components as fossil powered trucks, its then its matter of packaging the batteries. and support systems. As for speed and acceleration, with electric motors, torque is available its just a matter of programming to make it spin its tires or get longer range.

The problem is that the current investment model is SPACS and all sorts of concepts without a real company or business plan are popping up to get a hold of SPAC money. With SPACS the firms selling them make their money and walk away long before the new company actually has to make a profit. Look Nicola on how to do it wrong, the initial firm who set up the SPAC cashed out long ago and the investors holding the stock are just holding paper in hopes that they eventually make product.

IMHO I think an independent company is going to be hard pressed to build and support a standalone vehicle. If they do the big boys will just move in. Tesla is special case as a lot of their initial vehicles could be subsidized by selling environmental attributes to smaller volume car companies that wanted to sell cars in CA.

Public charging is going to be problem. Fast chargers need a lot of watts and those watts need to come from somewhere. Level 2 chargers max out at 40 AMPS (@240 volts) with most in the 16 to 30 AMP range and they take several hours to do full charge. Even if there is plug for every parking space most buildings switchgear and electrical distribution systems cannot handle that sort of load. Level 3 chargers are not standardized yet but they usually require 480volt. Unless a business has a fixed route with long stops I dont see it being practical, then again there are "taxi" fleets in the west coast that run EVs as their total cost of running is cheaper than fossil vehicles. They can charge the cars at night and do not have to recharge on the road, the driver just heads back to the lot and picks up another. Regular consumers do not get billed for peak power demands but any business owner knows that if they pull too much power for one hour that can set a peak and the peak charges that hang around on the bill for the next year can sometimes exceed their usage.

Reactions: sloeffle
Hard to say with just a computer model and no production date. I suspect that if it does finally make it into production that the price for being equipped as described will go up substantially. With a $40k price it is not going to have much battery capacity and maybe not AWD.

Reactions: woodey
I suspect buying an electric vehicle now would be similar to buying a computer. Battery technology is moving at such a rapid pace that a 2 year old electric vehicle will be old tech. Not to say I’m not on board but I would look at the horizon to see if waiting might be a good investment

Reactions: SpaceBus
Businesses wouldn't be worried about the technology getting stale. They'd probably cycle them every 3 years or so due to leasing.

I dont see Tesla supporting long term parts inventory like Mercedes and Toyota that both have the reputation of long term support. I think Tesla had dumped any support on their original cars. That said there are a couple of fleets of taxi/courier services that have good background that Tesla's are the least cost to operate. and require fewer long term repairs. IMHO the biggest issue is that the companies are now restricting access to service information so independent shops and owners dont have ready access to it. Factory service manuals used to be available replaced by service CDs but in many cases now there is no choice but a subscription. In order to access the service info for my new Toyota its around $400 a year to get access or $40 for 2 week access.

No Haynes or Chilton's?

I recently tossed my old books into the recycle bin. I probably won't need info on an 82 Pontiac anymore.

I dont see Tesla supporting long term parts inventory like Mercedes and Toyota that both have the reputation of long term support. I think Tesla had dumped any support on their original cars. That said there are a couple of fleets of taxi/courier services that have good background that Tesla's are the least cost to operate. and require fewer long term repairs. IMHO the biggest issue is that the companies are now restricting access to service information so independent shops and owners dont have ready access to it. Factory service manuals used to be available replaced by service CDs but in many cases now there is no choice but a subscription. In order to access the service info for my new Toyota its around $400 a year to get access or $40 for 2 week access.
$40 for two weeks is pretty good. $400/year is cheap if you own a Toyota and plan to do your own maintenance.

No Haynes or Chilton's?

I recently tossed my old books into the recycle bin. I probably won't need info on an 82 Pontiac anymore.

Pro mechanics love/hate people that use those manuals. On the one hand, those books bring in a lot of business, on the other hand it makes their life harder trying to fix something done poorly.

I dont use my factory manuals that often so I would much rather have a one and done approach to buying a manual than a subscription.

I dont use my factory manuals that often so I would much rather have a one and done approach to buying a manual than a subscription.
While I would have agreed with you prior to using the digitized manuals, the subscriptions are much better. You can get much more information much faster using the digitized manuals. While this current system is helping Toyota, and others, to make more money, it also makes servicing the vehicles easier. The mechanic I take my truck to would never go back.

$40 for two weeks is pretty good. $400/year is cheap if you own a Toyota and plan to do your own maintenance.

Pro mechanics love/hate people that use those manuals. On the one hand, those books bring in a lot of business, on the other hand it makes their life harder trying to fix something done poorly.

It's the same with housing fixes. I try not to fault somebody for trying to fix it themself though. Fixing a hack job can make the fix look rough though.

It's the same with housing fixes. I try not to fault somebody for trying to fix it themself though. Fixing a hack job can make the fix look rough though.
I had a Haynes manual for my 87' Ram with 318 back in highschool. The manual ended up having the wrong firing order printed and I could not figure it out. $50 later and another dude with a Chilton manual got it running

I had a distributor installed 180° off once. A friend father finally asked me what I did right before it ran rough.

"I replaced the cap and rotor."

"Oh, do this..."

First car memoroes... lol