Home Depot Pre-Season special on Freedom Fuel Wood Pellets in Tax Free Salem NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Freedom Fuel - Home Depot in Salem NH
$269 per ton as of 08-07-2010
Summer special quantity buy
2 ton $50 off
3 ton $100 off
4 ton $150 off
5 ton $200 off

I use 3 tons which would be $235.67 per ton but never tried these.

Anyone use them and like them?

Don

Attachments

• WPFreedomFuelHomeDepotScaled.jpg
    WPFreedomFuelHomeDepotScaled.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,258
They burned crappy for me when I tried a few bags....I would stay away unless that was all you could get......and then I would still have to think about it!!!

I burned a couple of bags 2 winters ago in my Astoria. Nothing to write home about. I'd give them about a 4 on a 1--->10 scale.

Attachments

• WPLogik-eScale1.jpg
    WPLogik-eScale1.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,128
I picked up a bag last winter, there made in alabama?, well there a smaller diameter than any other pellet i've seen, appeared to burn ok in my Whit.

Its to bad these get such bad reviews. I can get them from the HD in my area for $215 a ton
after a 10% coupon.

strangemainer said:
Its to bad these get such bad reviews. I can get them from the HD in my area for $215 a ton
after a 10% coupon.

Like most things in life, The good stuff will generally cost's more. One thing you could do is mix them with another good pellet to extend the good stuff. Or possible rethink the stove your using. The Multifuel burners are less pellet picky and will burn these with much less pain to the stove owner. But it would take many a years to recoup the savings. I have seen that better quality fuels may burn less fuel overall during the heating season. It's a tough one to prove with all the variables thrown in. But you could be saving a buck to spend more in the long run.

I do stress the new stove buyers should consider multifuelers. But the present owners should just purchase better quality fuels. Save's a ton of labor on cleaning and stove fussing!

FREEDOM FUEL IS HORRIBLE... I got a ton last winter.. they had no heat and seemed to burn super fast. The pellets were very small in diameter and long caused 5 auger jams...

Don2222 said:
.....Probably worth the extra $15 bucks per ton!.....

When it's really cold out this winter, and your stove is putting out good heat with the better quality pellets, you'll forget about having paid an extra 30 cents a bag. ;-)

They were $199 ton at local HD a few weeks ago. Last time I drove by the were up to $289 with the the whole buy more save more scheme going. What a joke.
$230-240 seems to be going rate for top shelf in my neighborhood right now.

I returned a ton to HD years ago and will never buy again. They are the wrong size diameter. How did they get the pellet institute of America to approve them? I called the manufacturer also and they had no clue as what size their pellets were. They are also used for some type of "green" cat liter. So it appears the cat liter buisiness was failing so they found another way of unloading these pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.