hophornbeam (eastern hornbeam) moisture level?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
anyone know the above (eastern hornbeam- the one with the shaggy bark)? I have access to a fair amount of it, but am curious about its moisture level and time to season. Despite finding all sorts of data on other woods after extensive Googling, I cannot find moisture %s for this wood. I seem to have pretty good luck even with standing dead stuff cut late last summer, but am curious if I'd get even more of its legendary heat if I am able to let it season longer in future years.

Thanks

Eastern Hop Hornbeam (Copper leaf) shares almost idendical Btu's and weight with Hickory.
Hickory has a very slight upper edge in Recoverable Heat Value per million BTU'S of dry cord wood.
Hornbeam 19.11
Hickory 19.39

My guess is the moisture content can't be much different.

WB

Thanks- I agree that it even looks, inside the logs, a lot like hickory- I'll just be intrigued to get the moisture % data if anyone can point me to it

I believe that hornbeam has a sinewy bark, that is smooth but looks like there is muscles underneath. My hickory looks like oak, or it is shagbark. I do know that hornbeam is very hard wood

CTburns said:
I believe that hornbeam has a sinewy bark, that is smooth but looks like there is muscles underneath. My hickory looks like oak, or it is shagbark. I do know that hornbeam is very hard wood

Are you referring to Hophornbeam?

CTburns said:
CTburns said:

Are you referring to Hophornbeam?

yes- the hornbeam with the shaggy bark. hard as heck

Green moisture content is going to vary depending on where it's growing and soil type. Ideally if you were to cut it or any wood for that matter off the stump in the late fall the wood should be at the lowest green moisture content of any given time during the year.

Blah Ho Vick said:
Green moisture content is going to vary depending on where it's growing and soil type. Ideally if you were to cut it or any wood for that matter off the stump in the late fall the wood should be at the lowest green moisture content of any given time during the year.

Interesting, Lee- what's the reason that late fall is the lowest MC? I'd never heard that before, but I'd be interested in knowing the rationale. Someone else was trying to claim that right about now, while the trees are dormant for winter, and before sap starts to flow again, is lowest M/C. While I am at it, do you think there's any truth to that claim that when felling trees during the season that they are leaved out, if you wait until the leaves all wilt before limbing them and bucking them, the leaves will take a substantial amount of moisture up and out? Thanks

This describes it better than I ever could.

http://www.earthworksboston.org/articles/OCdormancy.htm

Basically photosynthesis stops and the tree slows the pumping of water to a minimum.

Leaf wilt theory. IMO I believe this theory takes minimal moisture out of a tree and what moisture it does remove is only in the branches 2-3" in diameter.

Thanks Lee- that harmonizes what you said about fall with what others have said about cutting before trees break dormancy in spring.

By the way, with Git'Mo anticipated to be closing, where are you gonna go next :) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.