Hot Blast 1300 MORE PICS ADDED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided just to run it with an open filter box and not hook up the cold air return for now. I know it is less efficient running it this way and relying on the convection cycle, but it has worked so far and I haven't had any trouble getting my house up to 76 degrees even when it was below zero outside.

okay so i decided that if i ran my supply into the trink lines instead of the plenum just like in ikessky's install pics then i could add the backdraft dampers in the trunk line instead of the plenum too since the a coil is in the way in the plenum. My next question is if i put a backdraft damper in the trunk line do i still need to put the backdraft dampers in the two 8" lines coming off the wood furnace if i hook the return airs together.

Also, i just looked inside my plenum and on the inside of the plenum and about the first two feet down the trunk line there is an insulation on the inside of the ductwork. I would have to remove this to put the wood furnace on too, right?

Thank u everyone for your help so far!

here is a picture i drew that should work right?
Picture.jpg

Run a manual damper in the heat trunk and you will be fine. Just remember to lower your thermostat on the central furnace, or turn it off. Otherwise, open that damper so You get flow if the furnace needs to run. I'm not too fond of tying into the main return on a parallel install. If the central furnace would run, it will overpower the woodfurnaces blower, and draw heat into the return of the central furnace, onto the coil. But if you keep the dampers in the 2 8" lines, you will not backfeed when the wood furace isn't running. Once again, just keep the central heat off, or turned down. If you leave the house and are not burning wood, then those 2 8" dampers help keep the return from pulling air back through the woodfurnace. If youre running ac and you feed cold air through that woodfurnace, you will eat it from the inside out from condensation. I'm not sure about your insulation question, but those dampers are important.

i am just trying to figure out how to install it paralel without pushing the air through the furnace, I think that the Hot Blast should keep my house warm with the gas furnace being shutoff full time. Also, i need to share the supply lines and I don'[t know if i can run the wood furnace without a return air duct

All in All i will have it set up so that the gas furnace never runs when the wood furnace has wood in it.

Can u buy a damper for a 8x12 trunk line

Yeah, do a search online for ductwork. There is a company that sells all those things, and they are reasonable. Your supply is only 8x12? With a small house like that, if you basement isn't that bad, I would take off an inch or 2 on the basement door, or leave it open and not worry about tying into the return air. That way you just have a few dampers and thats it! Just put in your 2 8" dampers, when you burn wood, open them. Same with the 8x12 damper. When you burn wood, close it until you are ready to use your wood furnace. I'm trying to think of all possible scenerios. What would be nice is a damper in the 8x12 thats spring loaded. When the woodfurnace is running its putting pressure on it and its closed. When the central furnace would kick in, it would open from the air flow, and close when the blower shuts off. That would be ideal, also the same with the 2 8" lines from the woodfurnace. I'm sure they are out there, or build them yourself. I didn't see the gas water heater. I wouldn't run the furnace without a duct either in the return, or one up on the first floor. That way your aren't pulling any sort of gasses from the appliance. There isn't a way you could run a single small trunk for a return on the floor up above? If it was me, I would do that instead.

yeah, i was think about just not trying the RA together, i have about a 1" gap on the bottom of my basement door so it should have enough air flow for a 500cfm fan, right. Also, i know where i can just cut some ra opening through the floor to the basement for it to get air

My plenum splits off into one 8x10 trunk and one 8x 12 trunk so i would put a damper in each on those so that the air couldn't go back to the gas furnace and run an 8 inch pipe off of the wood furnace to each each one. Then put the 8 inch spring loaded dampers in the ducts off the wood furnace too.

this sounds good doesn't it

thanks alot laynes69 u are a huge help!

Also, what about what i said about the insulation on the inside of the plenum and first 2 feet of trunk line

Build a sheetmetal box around the blower assembly on the woodfurnace, or order one from usstove. You can then place that around your blower and run a return up above upstairs. That would be ample for a small home. The insulation, I don't know why its inside.

some plenums u could buy with the insultaion attached to the sides on the inside of the plenum, i am guessing that i would need to remove this for fire protection

Fuel said:
some plenums u could buy with the insultaion attached to the sides on the inside of the plenum, i am guessing that i would need to remove this for fire protection
that sounds more like duct board not metal duct

Status
Not open for further replies.