how (and how often) should I do chimney inspection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstover

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
south central Washington
We installed a Blaze King Princess stove this fall (loving it!) and the manual says to inspect the chimney twice a month. Really??? In 15 years of operating a non-cat stove, we only had our double-wall stovepipe cleaned once a year at the end of the burning season, and we did not inspect it during the roughly 7 months of daily operation.

I'm not sure what is meant by "inspection" of the chimney. Do we just look for creosote leaks at the seams? Do we have to climb up on the roof (very steep and icy at this time of the year) and remove the cap to look down the pipe? I don't know what is involved and am daunted at the prospect of disassembling anything while it is 15 degrees outside. Not to mention the prospect of letting our primary heat source go cold so we can perform whatever procedures are recommended.

I'm tempted to just blow off the whole thing and wait til spring. But recently our smoke alarm went off and we smelled that odor that you get when your pipe is really hot. We didn't see a glow or any other signs of a chimney fire but we suspect maybe there was some creosote burning somewhere in the pipe. Which of course is nervous-making. That was about a week ago and no problems since.

Is our new Blaze King more susceptible to creosote buildup than our previous non-cat stove? We are certainly getting a lot more mileage out of every cord, and a lot less ash. We run it 24/7, often at low settings because it puts out a lot of heat even on slow burns. We always run it at a high setting for 15 minutes or longer after reloading, which seems to help clear the window and give us a good long burn afterward. Is that helping to burn off creosote, or an accident waiting to happen?

It sounds like you're operating it fine. As for chimney inspection, we check and clean ours twice a year usually, even though it stays pretty clean. Creosote production should be very minimal with your BK if everything is installed correctly and your wood is dry.

Though I should also suggest you peek down your chimney often if this is a new installation until you're used to how the stove runs and how clean it stays.

I would agree with cmonStart.

Until you are used to the stove and how it runs I would also recommend more frequent inspections.

With my stove I can tell by the fire characteristics and the draft sound when it is time for me to remove my pipe and give a good cleaning. Took me a while to tune into these indicators.

Enjoy!

Checking the flue every couple weeks is good advice, particularly with a new stove and when the wood supply is new. After a year or two's experience, you can probably relax that to monthly or perhaps even seasonally. It really depends on the wood and how the stove is run. If you purchase wood there is a higher variable of the wood not being totally seasoned. In this case the best strategy is to buy wood in early spring and stack it to dry then.

Sorry to be such a dummy, but can you be more specific about exactly how I can "check" or "peek down" the chimney? Does this mean I need to climb up on a ladder and remove something from the top and then look down the pipe? I've never done it before because I always had a professional chimney sweep handle it. And I guess I need to purchase a brush to stick down there if I do see some residue?

Does the cap on top of the stovepipe just lift off? And then I need to carry it down the ladder and go back up for a look? And how long do I need to wait for the fire to die down to try this maneuver? Please spell it out for a newbie!

Does anyone know where I might find a video or something to walk me through the procedure? Not feeling very confident about any of this...

The cap may or may not be attached. Look for screws around the base of the cap. Some sweeps silicone it in place in which case you need a knife to break the silicone bead. Bring up a mirror and flashlight to facilitate looking down the flue. A camera might be handy too.

Or pay the sweep to come out and do an inspection. If there's no cleaning needed, it shouldn't cost much. You can learn from watching what is done and found.

I think a good rule of thumb for the first time burner or a burner with a new stove or set up would be to check every two weeks for the first month or so . . . and then if things look good do a monthly check . . . just a quick visual check looking for a build up of creosote. Many vets here then go to a twice a heating season check . . . me, I'm a bit safety conscious and continue to check and sweep monthly . . . mainly because it's a quick and easy chore.

BeGreen said:
The cap may or may not be attached. Look for screws around the base of the cap. Some sweeps silicone it in place in which case you need a knife to break the silicone bead.

Some caps twist-lock into place:

A chimney cap is required where the pipe terminates above the roofline. This DuraTech Chimney Cap is made of stainless steel and designed to twist-lock on to the chimney pipe. Removable screws allow for cleaning of the chimney and the spark arrestor screen.

The installation guide says to be careful removing it for cleaning--grab it as low as possible for twisting, to keep from breaking it.

dstover said:
Sorry to be such a dummy, but can you be more specific about exactly how I can "check" or "peek down" the chimney? Does this mean I need to climb up on a ladder and remove something from the top and then look down the pipe? I've never done it before because I always had a professional chimney sweep handle it. And I guess I need to purchase a brush to stick down there if I do see some residue?

Does the cap on top of the stovepipe just lift off? And then I need to carry it down the ladder and go back up for a look? And how long do I need to wait for the fire to die down to try this maneuver? Please spell it out for a newbie!

Does anyone know where I might find a video or something to walk me through the procedure? Not feeling very confident about any of this...

I remove the pipe and look up with a flashlight and mirror. I also clean from the bottom- used to do it with a brush and rods, now use a sooteater. I have a professional come in once a year to do an inspection to make certain all is ok.
No need to feel intimidated- it is just a visual looksee.

Status
Not open for further replies.