How Can I Tell If My Drolet Legend III Is Cracked?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I only ask about the moisture content because the dirty glass not being able to shut the stove all the way followed by it taking off sounds like possible symptoms of wood that's to wet. Once the moisture is driven off the stove takes off on you.

I can tell you that absolutely nothing you are saying makes me think the stove is cracked

Like I said, three times now, I can controll the stove. I requires constant supervision though. If there is not a crack/air leak that opens up under temperature, I may have bought too much stove.
What do you mean by it needs constant supervision?

VZ Defender?
SBI makes 10X the stove that VZ does
Absolutely correct. And the air intake at the top of the stove can leak CO when the fire dies down. I have had 2 separate customers with that issue

Goes from 400 F to less thatn 200 F (158 F) at stove pipe exit temp . Can't keep it at a sweet spot. I would like to see 220 F (+/- 100F) exit temp. as kind of a constant.

Goes from 400 F to less thatn 200 F (158 F) at stove pipe exit temp . Can't keep it at a sweet spot. I would like to see 220 F (+/- 100F) exit temp. as kind of a constant.
So it will randomly drop from 400 to 200 with no input from you?

Nah, I sent that thing packing...bought a nice Drolet 1400i stove...still an easy breather, but much more controllable in stock form.
I have scrapped atleast 4 of them. Maybe more

No. I run it up up to 300 stove pipe exit temp when stoked and then try to find the "sweet spot" to keep a roling flame. Right now I'm sitting in front of it (and adjusting air, damper and blower/fan three times) it's working fine. If I go way the fire will die or take off.

No. I run it up up to 300 stove pipe exit temp when stoked and then try to find the "sweet spot" to keep a roling flame. Right now I'm sitting in front of it (and adjusting air, damper and blower/fan three times) it's working fine. If I go way the fire will die or take off.
It honestly sounds like you may have closed down the secondary air port to far at this point