How Can I Tell If My Drolet Legend III Is Cracked?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So does SBI's customer service. That's why I am here.
Disagree.
It sounds like you may have too big of a stove and trying to run it too cold to maintain a proper fire (the Legend is almost 3X the size of the VZ Defender) its gonna be the same with any tube stove...you may want to look at cat stoves...

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to talk to them in a similar way you have responded here would you
Not initially. But when all the stuff they suggest, I need to spend more money, do this, try that, and nothing works, well try this. I get fed up up with people that call themselves professionals and look like More Ons.

Disagree.
It sounds like you may have too big of a stove and trying to run it too cold to maintain a proper fire (the Legend is almost 3X the size of the VZ Defender) its gonna be the same with any tube stove...you may want to look at cat stoves...
Know where I can find an even up trade for a wolfgan?

I'm coming to that concusion myself..
People say "you can make a small fire in a big stove, but you can't make a big fire in a small stove"...while true, the big stove still doesn't burn that well with a small fire in it, unless maybe its just a small load of wood, and then its left to burn wide open...and a larger load of wood wants to be burnt hot in a tube stove, that's just how they work.
My FIL is an old school wood burner...they had me put an Englander NC30 (same size as your Legend) stove in their new house...WAY too big, and so he just runs small loads at a low rate in it...always a creosote mess...I've mentioned proper techniques many times, but he is an old dog, and that's a new trick...so he runs it like his old stoves...a stick or two at a time, and either wide open, or way too low/smoldering. I've given up and just clean the chimney for them...and he cleans the door glass...often!

You wouldn't happen to talk to them in a similar way you have responded here would you
Here are some of the responses I got from them;

You need to shorten your stove pipe from the top of the stove to where it exist the wall

(lifted stove, cut stove pipe)

You need to remove the damper.

( removed damper)

You need to install a damper.

(re insatalled a damper)

Your fire wood may be too dry.

( took hose to fire wood (no I didn't))

Last edited:
Know where I can find an even up trade for a wolfgan?
I'd trade ya if I still had it...heck, I'd trade ya for my lil 1400i insert stove, but the Legend won't fit in my FP, not even close!

An Escape 1200 stove would be about the size of your old Defender...just slightly larger.
Also the Spark II...

Here are some of the responses I got from them;

You need to shorten your stove pipe from the top of the stove to where it exist the wall

(lifted stove, cut stove pipe)

You need to remove the damper.

( moved damper)

You need to install a damper.

(re insatalled a damper)

Your fire wood may be too dry.

( took hose to fire wood (no I didn't))
You would have gotten the same replies from just about any company IMO...pretty typical stuff.

Maybe consider a Woodstock Fireview cat stove?