How do I get rid of this branch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
HI guys,

I have an interesting question for you professional treeservice guys (and all us amateurs too).

I have a branch (about 6 inch diameter, at least 30 ft long) that broke of a black cherry. It hit the top of a maple about 20 ft away and now it is stuck up there about 15 ft up). It is still attached to the black cherry. However, it crosses my path to the woods and my 3 small boys (5 and under) walk there a lot. I don't want it to fall while they walk there, so I want to remove it. Here is a little picture.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b kids m

B - black cherry, m - maple, and kids below.

There are a few options:
- Calling a pro. pros: it will be done without any accidents. Cons: too expensive, equipment might damage my laws, not fun for me.
- Rope climbing and cutting: Pros: lots of fun. Cons: need to buy climbing gear, a saw, no experience.
- Spur climbing and cutting: Pros: even more fun than a rope,. Identical cons.
- Use an extendable curved saw: Pros: few equipment to buy. Cons: hard to work over your head, danger of falling branch, cannot reach the branch. Takes a long time (hinge is still attached well.
- Use a chainsaw on a rope: Pros: fun, some equipment to buy. Cons: branch will still fall

So it looks to me that last option is what I should go with. What is your opinion.

Thanks

Carpniels

Get a long chain with a clevis or bull ring on one end.
Tie ring or clevis to a rope and use rope to get chain up over branch.
Run chain through ring and pull tight .
Hook chain to your truck or tractor and start pulling.

If you dont have any experience climbing and cutting,DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLIMB! TOO much can happen with no where to run but down. Check you tube for tree cutting mishaps you'll see what I mean.

Block and tackle wood work too. Might be able to rent one .

ROME, NY. I just bought a ton of saw chain from a company there. Can't remember the name but it was a screamin deal!

Hi Lees,

Thanks for the tip. I forgot about that one. How do I get the branch to come loose from the trunk though? It is still partly attached. That I why I liked the rope chain saw. PS. I only have a Geo Prizm. No truck or tractor. Plus that much strong chain might cost quite a bit.

The company was George Kahler. www.gksales.net/. They are a BIG logging supplier here. I bought my Husky 346xp from them.

Thanks

Carpniels

I think once the branches hit the ground the base will rip loose from the trunk. If not just keep pulling.

Check the yellow pages for a rental store in your area. I wood think they wood rent chains or block and tackle.

Here is a little picture.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b m
b kids m

B - black cherry, m - maple, and kids below.

I think we'll need to see a better picture. The Geo can do it though. .... as long as it's your wife's Geo. :)

If I was doing it, I would use a rope saw... but that's only because my wife doesn't own a Geo.

PS. Put the kids in the house. I'm tired of hearing about squashed kids. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.