how do I measure moisture content?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstover

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
south central Washington
I've seen people commenting on this forum that their wood has a moisture content of X percentage. How do you measure that? Is there a cheap tool for the job? Or you need your own science lab?

You can purchase a moisture meter for not to much $ (probably ~ $30 or less). Check for them on Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Amazon, etc. If you do a search on the site for moisture meters, I'm sure you'll find some posts with links to purchase the meter. Cheers!

They make moisture meters. I bought mine from a woodworker supply company. Grizzly. They normally have 2 pins on them that can penetrate the wood and give you a reading from inside the wood.

I got mine at Harbor Freight for about $14.00.

Thanks for the info! I will buy one soon. What is the ideal moisture content I'm looking for, once I can test for that?

After one year of seasoning you should read anywhere from 15% to 20% moisture. Anything above 20% is too wet IMHO.

Those fancy moisture meters are nice but I've got a cheaper solution.

Some people suggest rubbing liquid dish soap on one end of the log and then trying to blow throw the log from the other end.

If bubbles form then the wood is dry enough.

I'll send you some soap if you need it

pen

I've burned wood for over 50 years and have never had an urge to buy one. Just cut, split and stack your wood and forget it for a couple years and then burn it. No meter required.

Sorry Dennis, your way is too easy and makes too much sense. And here I thought you were in your 40's... ;-)

Well, I'm almost 40.

So that's 50 cord-years of wood heating then, eh? :)

precaud said:
So that's 50 cord-years of wood heating then, eh? :)

Yes, but is that 50 face cords, stove cords, or chords? :lol:

For those of us on tiny suburb lots- they sell them at Lowes for $30. When I retire in a few years and have many acres on which to stack a gajillion years worth of wood , You can have mine , I wont need it then, either. Until then, it takes the mystery and guesswork out of 18-20 month old oak splits. :) P.S.- Dennis - can you sell me a few acres of woodland? I'm partial to N.H. , but I hear your neck of the woods is beautiful ,too! ;-) I cant wait to get off this overcrowded ISLAND!

Pagey said:
Yes, but is that 50 face cords, stove cords, or chords? :lol:
On it's face, that's laughable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.