How do I remove a BIS Traditional Zero Clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ben311

Oct 3, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I am demoing to remove some rotted framing around and below my zero clearance fp. (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/iding-type-of-fireplace-and-potential-insulation-issues.182769/).

I need some help determining how to detach the unit so I can pull it out, as allowing me access to replace the rotting plywood and framing below. I can't for the life of me figure out how to detach it. The manual (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0oMYq0WcFpdLnGWcfqtugs) states that there are four mailing flanges to secure it to the floor. I don't see any. I can remove the heat ducts with a counterclockwise turn, but not the chimney pipe itself. Any ideas? Thanks!

20201022_151817.jpg20201022_151836.jpg

Is unit replacement your intent? Or repair/reinstall? It seems it is a rather old unit. Might be the time to investigate option's? Tough season for diving into this project! God speed:cool:

Is unit replacement your intent? Or repair/reinstall? It seems it is a rather old unit. Might be the time to investigate option's? Tough season for diving into this project! God speed:cool:

My intention was to just reinstall this unit, so I would like to remove it an keep it intact. Thanks

Start by downloading the manual. That will show the order of installation that needs to be reversed.

Reactions: jmb6420
Start by downloading the manual. That will show the order of installation that needs to be reversed.
Thanks. I did, but it doesn't detail how the chimney connects to the unit (and hence how to disconnect). I am probably overthinking it, and just need to be a bit more forceful with turning the pipe. I suppose it isn't attached to the framing/flooring any other way.

Typically the unit is screwed to the framing studs. The pipe is attached to an anchor plate that’s brand specific. Often times the pipe is screwed to the anchor plate to prevent it from turning as the rest of the pipe is installed.