How do you manage overgrowth near wood piles? Tips and tricks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Every summer I buttle grass and shrubs at my wood piles place. How do you, guys, manage this. Do you spray it with some chemicals or else? Just curious about ways to handle it.

A5800472-96D8-46FD-AFF8-2D709B3C9B22.jpeg AF7C073B-06AD-46F0-A60D-F790B42F3F99.jpeg 030F03FA-88F0-4AD5-B8D5-85274DC6C6A8.jpeg

Reactions: patrickk222
I would have processed, stacked, and consolidated all of your little piles into one or two piles so that you could mow around it. Then weed whack what can’t be mowed.

You’ve got a mess there with a jungle growing all around it.

Reactions: Rob_Red and Bad LP
Keep piles condensed and tidy if possible and weed eat every so often. Use a brush axe or weedeater to clean up any encroaching limbs.

Weed eat with a carbide tipped saw blade

Nice neat piles and a heavy duty brush cutter. No herbicide chemicals on site. I would venture to guess restacking and covering would help your seasoning efforts as well

looks like you have a beautiful space by the way.

Reactions: D8Chumley
We cleared out brush and weeds and put down mulch. I will occasionally go around and spray individual weeds with weed killer. We have to keep the area cleaned up to avoid a visit from the "Karen" committee.

Goats...

I mow a few spots. Twice a year. But what works the best is the bark mulch I get from the log mill. It lasts a long time

You might as well wait for a good freeze to kill all those vines and brush. Then you may be able to see what you got.
It looks like you have a lot of scrap pieces lying around. Maybe have a campfire later this fall using all the scraps and cook something on it.
Then while it's cool weather do some stacking and make some lanes for the mover to get through.

Occasionally use a weedbeater . . . but mostly the bits of bark that all off tend to keep the weeds down.

Reactions: fbelec