How do your store your 'chunk' wood (and share pics if you have them)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! Another idea I had similar to my pallet box was to use a pallet base (one with very small gaps between the boards) and make wall from hardware cloth or stucco wire(beefy chickenwire). I have a feeling the pallet bin will be more robust in the long run.

myzamboni said:
Over the summer I have accumulated a pile of 'chunk' wood. These are the 3-6 inch length cut-offs from bucking and other odd bits. It cannot be stacked(at least not in a timely fashion) and I was looking to see what y'all use for storage. I was thinkg of making a 'box' using pallets for a base and walls, but I know someone on here has a beter solution.

Thanks! in advance for your ideas and pics.

I just stack my cookies on a pallet(s). It's not much to look at but I burn them in the fall so they are the first to go thus not around long. I think if I needed something "ok" to look at with little investment take some of that galvi fencing from TSC and make a pallet box out of a pallet. Or, cheaper yet, make a pallet box out of chicken wire and a pallet. I think you can get that stuff by the foot. It's not free but won't require a mortgage. Now that I think of it...snow fencing could be used to make a pallet box as well. If you can't buy any, just do a 3am drive by and snare it from some roadside ;-P

Jags said:
...The trick is getting it folded properly...

Oh, my god, does that bring back some memories I haven't revisited for a looooong time. Like, why it only ever takes me 5 minutes or less to eat any meal I sit down to. :cheese: Rick

woodconvert said:
myzamboni said:
Over the summer I have accumulated a pile of 'chunk' wood. These are the 3-6 inch length cut-offs from bucking and other odd bits. It cannot be stacked(at least not in a timely fashion) and I was looking to see what y'all use for storage. I was thinkg of making a 'box' using pallets for a base and walls, but I know someone on here has a beter solution.

I just stack my cookies on a pallet(s). It's not much to look at but I burn them in the fall so they are the first to go thus not around long. I think if I needed something "ok" to look at with little investment take some of that galvi fencing from TSC and make a pallet box out of a pallet. Or, cheaper yet, make a pallet box out of chicken wire and a pallet. I think you can get that stuff by the foot. It's not free but won't require a mortgage. Now that I think of it...snow fencing could be used to make a pallet box as well. If you can't buy any, just do a 3am drive by and snare it from some roadside ;-P

No snow fencing here, but maybe deer fencing might work. We've had snow that didn't immediately melt once in the last 33 years. It was ~1/2 inch and the whole valley shut down. They even sent the kids home from school! Ridiculous.

Chunks get stacked into the middle of the woodstack row. All the nice perfect looking wood is crisscrossed at the row ends to hold up the pile. Rounds, oddballs, chunks and everthing else gets stacked between the row ends.
I stack like a crooked firewood dealer....I use two or three short chunks end to end to make up the place of one normal log length. When the pile is done, it looks just like a normal log when viewed from the end.

No snow fencing here, but maybe deer fencing might work. We've had snow that didn't immediately melt once in the last 33 years. It was ~1/2 inch and the whole valley shut down. They even sent the kids home from school! Ridiculous.

I thought you guys had mountains that got snow. Eh, go with the chicken wire...unless you don't have chickens out there

Silicon Valley does sit between mountains that occasionally get snow, but nothing like member nshif gets up in the Sierras. I'm in a town that is at an elevation of 35 ft with a Mediterranean climate. I don't burn 24/7 as it is not needed.

myzamboni said:
Silicon Valley does sit between mountains that occasionally get snow, but nothing like member nshif gets up in the Sierras. I'm in a town that is at an elevation of 35 ft with a Mediterranean climate. I don't burn 24/7 as it is not needed.

Interesting. What is considered a bad winter out there, or, what kind of temps do you get a night during winter??.

Hey, just thinkin' about your chunk wood question...McMaster Carr / Grainger has a ton of wire mesh / cloth / fencing type stuff available in different widths. Snoop through there. I found this 9234T75 McMaster part number for a reasonable price for some three foot galvi chicken wire.

myzamboni said:

My chunks, oddballs, caps, y pieces, twisted splits and returnables gets stashed inbetween. I built this rack in 2002 when I cut to 16" for my Russo stove (3 rows). Now that I cut to 20" for the Oslo, I made good use of the spare space.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 620
woodconvert said:
myzamboni said:

Interesting. What is considered a bad winter out there, or, what kind of temps do you get a night during winter??.

Hey, just thinkin' about your chunk wood question...McMaster Carr / Grainger has a ton of wire mesh / cloth / fencing type stuff available in different widths. Snoop through there. I found this 9234T75 McMaster part number for a reasonable price for some three foot galvi chicken wire.

Our 'winter' nights are in mid-to-upper 30's. A couple times a year we'll dip into the 20s. Bad weather to us is 40 and raining with gusting winds 50-60mph.

Yes, we are spoiled weather wise. 5 months with no rain and won't see any until Oct. I burn evenings and weekends from Nov 1st until early-mid April.

Timely thread as I have a bunch of cookies that create smaller pieces. I just started to make a pile, fitting the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle when I read this info. I have some extra pallets and it seems like such a simple solution. Thanks guys.

This idea I got from my father. It is built so that the top removes by just lifting it off, but the front horizontal slats can also be removed by just sliding them out. I keep it on an old pallet to get it off the ground and use it for chunks, odd splits and other pieces that don't fit well in my stacks. It is about 6' tall and 3' wide and deep. Keeps some light on the wood and still allows for lots of air. The removable slats are great for when you are taking pieces out. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Library - 1970.jpg
    Library - 1970.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 602
My chunks go into the center of the HH in the top 1/3rd portion. The bottom 2/3rds of the center is filled with regular splits in verticle position.

OilNoMore said:
This idea I got from my father. It is built so that the top removes by just lifting it off, but the front horizontal slats can also be removed by just sliding them out. I keep it on an old pallet to get it off the ground and use it for chunks, odd splits and other pieces that don't fit well in my stacks. It is about 6' tall and 3' wide and deep. Keeps some light on the wood and still allows for lots of air. The removable slats are great for when you are taking pieces out. Hope this helps.
Hey, that's pretty slick! Thanks for the idea.

I do it like woodbutcher. Stack the chunks between rows of the normal splits.

the_dude said:
I burn mine in campfires. I put in a nice pit this spring out of field stone I found laying aroung my land, and it gets a fair amount of use.

The pic is before it was complete. I filled in the spaces with pea gravel. It turned out pretty cool.

nice looking pit

Here is how I ended up storing 'chunky' wood, at least for this year. It sits in the middle of a long pallet, with piles of kindling and small splits on the ends holding it in. Two pairs of 2 by 4 uprights hold metal lath on one side, and 1/2in square hardware cloth on the other side. It's simply stapled onto the 2 by 4's. I just cobbled this together from what I had on hand. Seems plenty strong enough, as the pile is only about 3ft high by 5ft long. I'll post a better photo later.

ChunkyWood.jpg

Man, I have got to get a better camera. Anyway, here is a slightly better photo:

ChunkyWood2a.jpg

Some time later this fall, I'll put tarps across just the tops of my woodpiles. That'll have to do until I get my woodshed designed and built.

(bump)

Chunky wood burns as good as most any other straight wood. It just doesn't stack too good. I'm liking this 'big bin' method. It lets the wood get packed together pretty tight, anyway.

Cluttermagnet said:
Here is how I ended up storing 'chunky' wood, at least for this year. It sits in the middle of a long pallet, with piles of kindling and small splits on the ends holding it in. Two pairs of 2 by 4 uprights hold metal lath on one side, and 1/2in square hardware cloth on the other side. It's simply stapled onto the 2 by 4's. I just cobbled this together from what I had on hand. Seems plenty strong enough, as the pile is only about 3ft high by 5ft long. I'll post a better photo later.

ChunkyWood.jpg

Man, I have got to get a better camera. Anyway, here is a slightly better photo:

ChunkyWood2a.jpg

Some time later this fall, I'll put tarps across just the tops of my woodpiles. That'll have to do until I get my woodshed designed and built.

What's the point of using hardware cloth?

I love your set-up, though. My property is entirely on a slope, so no such neat arrangements are possible except in the nearly full shade behind the barn. I've got my odd chunks and weirdo shapes mostly on top of my stacks, and a bunch just laid out on a bed of punky wood on the ground, for lack of anthing better to do with it. I'm hoping to use most of it up in the early part of the heating season.

gyrfalcon said:
I used it simply because I had it. And it was free, to boot. I was just using on-hand stuff. The other side is metal lath left over from a tile project, also free. I try to recycle. Now I'm also recycling trees. Heh! ;-)

Oh BTW I felt like I had to use metal cloth to contain the gnarly pieces, otherwise it would be a smaller pile because they would fall off the edges of the pallet. With the metal in front and back, I can fill it up full and level.

Cluttermagnet said:
gyrfalcon said:
I used it simply because I had it. And it was free, to boot. I was just using on-hand stuff. The other side is metal lath left over from a tile project, also free. I try to recycle. Now I'm also recycling trees. Heh! ;-)

Oh BTW I felt like I had to use metal cloth to contain the gnarly pieces, otherwise it would be a smaller pile because they would fall off the edges of the pallet. With the metal in front and back, I can fill it up full and level.

Gotcha. Great idea.

I put it in the middle of a HH, or throw it in the middle of the stack between boxed ends. When in the middle of a row- I use them as complementary pieces to other weird ones to level rows. never really caused an issue.

Truth be told- I don't end up with THAT many weird ends- partly because I am lucky to have big red oaks at my disposal on-site, and partly because I just plain rock your mom.

I got some amazingly gnarly pieces off of that big old Red Oak I started with. You can actually see lots of serpentine grain in places. I ought to take a couple of photos of this stuff over the winter as I come across it in that pile. I'll post some here. It's downright artistic, what nature did with it. Looks like a curved maze in spots, the grain. Fortunately, most of that tree was pretty straight- grained. And it split pretty good considering the tree was 2 years on the ground when I started splitting. Great stuff, Oak. I have managed to get some of it well seasoned, and am getting good, hot fires with it.

Here's what I made:
I took a pallet and bought 5 1x3s. Cut the 1x3s to 6 feet and screw them into the corners of the pallet. Made angled joints to secure the erected posts in place more securely. Then I built two square openings on either side of the pallet (to let me fetch out the oldest wood first). I also attached the top section together with horizontal pieces of 1x3. Then I took some metal fencing (don't use the welded stuff, it's chitty) and wrapped it around the entire structure, nailing it in place with metal staples. Then I snipped the fencing where necessary and bent the sharp edges back (safety first). I then put more fencing on top (4' fencing used causes overlap on a 6' structure) and bent the loose ends around the bottom fence. Threw some old plywood over the top to make a roof.

What you're left with is a big box of scraps that has a roof, gets plenty of air, sits off the ground and lets you pull from the bottom openings to get at the oldest wood first. If you had to buy everything, it would cost less than $20 to make. Wish I had pictures....

Risser09 said:
What you're left with is a big box of scraps that has a roof, gets plenty of air, sits off the ground and lets you pull from the bottom openings to get at the oldest wood first. If you had to buy everything, it would cost less than $20 to make. Wish I had pictures....
Sounds good. The only thing I can't picture well is those square openings. What size are they? Are they just cut out of the metal fencing?

Status
Not open for further replies.