How Does a Newbie Find Firewood on Long Island, NY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drewsome said:
4cyl2v8 said:
Are you looking for split wood, or do you have the means to buck, transport, and chop logs?

In my experience your not going to come by much seasoned split wood that someone is looking to give away. Some people are willing to let you either clear downed trees, or will advertise on craigslist when they have wood to get rid of. Most of it is more work than its worth, or the wood is rotten/bug infested. You can try following Asplundh trucks or keep an eye out for people doing tree jobs in your area and try tipping the tree company to drop the wood off at your house.

Thanks for the tips, 4cyl2v8! I'm actually in Western Nassau county, close to Queens border. I'm basically a city boy, trying to live a little closer to the land. I don't have the means to do any splitting, nor do I have a pickup for hauling, nor do I have any real property in terms of my own trees. So I was hoping to go the "lazy man's route". I'm more than willing to pay fair market value, so long as I can get decent, seasoned hardwood splits. From what you're saying there isn't much "market" out there, though I can't believe I'm the only person in this predicament. Doesn't this happen to all new wood stove owners?

Kinda stinks to get a brand new stove, and have to stare at it for 12 months while my green wood ages like fine wine (and my wife complains about all the room it's taking up in the backyard!).

Guess I'll keep an eye out for Asplundh trucks, but that seems like a real hit or miss proposition. More than likely, I'll be at work while they're in my neighborhood anyway. Oh well.

Drew,

The start up process is kind of aggrevating, but stick with it. Start gathering the basic processing tools (Fiskars Super Splitting Axe, maul, chainsaw) while looking for wood. This is my first year and I feel behind the power curve, but the hunt for firewood has been fun. I think I am finished gathering for this season, but will continue to look for next seasons wood. Don't forget uhaul if you don't have a truck.

I am bumping this thread because I would like to find a reputable firewood place in Suffolk. I can't seem to find Jim's firewood on craigslist anymore.

I agree. The firewood on LI it terrible. I switched to the envi block. They burn hotter and cleaner. I used them to help burn my semi seasoned firewood that was supposed to be seasoned.

There is a guy (John) on Jericho Turnpike at the nassau/suffolk border. He sells by the row. 16'', 18'', 20'', or 24'' 2' X 4' X 8' for $100- He has seasoned wood. I can't think of the name of the business. Something farms. Maybe Eileen from Ridge will know, he is also a horse guy. I can post the phone # tomorrow if your interested. Ken

Burning 8 years said:
I agree. The firewood on LI it terrible. I switched to the envi block. They burn hotter and cleaner. I used them to help burn my semi seasoned firewood that was supposed to be seasoned.
My stove mentions that I shouldn't burn "unnatural" wood, or even kiln dried wood, so I'm a bit hesitant to use the envi block.

drewsome said:
I�ve been loving all the great information on these posts, and have decided to get a Jotul 550 Rockland insert. It will be installed in about 2 weeks. Everyone talks about how critical it is to have seasoned, dry wood. Some say it should seasoned a full 2 years. But I have no wood at all. So how does a newbie begin? I don�t wait until 2012 to light my first fire!! I live on Long Island�. does anyone know where to BUY dry seasoned wood? What�s a newbie to do??
Apologize if this has already been suggested. Make contact with a fellow heath member and make a benificial swap.
Try posting an ad to cut up downed trees or pick up unwanted firewood for free.
Sometimes people are selling their house or have purchased a house and just want to get rid of it. It happens all the time.

newtothis said:
There is a guy (John) on Jericho Turnpike at the nassau/suffolk border. He sells by the row. 16'', 18'', 20'', or 24'' 2' X 4' X 8' for $100- He has seasoned wood. I can't think of the name of the business. Something farms. Maybe Eileen from Ridge will know, he is also a horse guy. I can post the phone # tomorrow if your interested. Ken
If he delivers out to Port Jefferson, then yes please. Thanks Ken

newtothis said:

I have access to an excellent firewood guy . He lives in Yaphank., and delivers in his F250 built up w/racks on the side, and it's mounded. I was quite happy. I bought 2 cords, and am looking at 3 more. So if you use him, remember I need some, too.

PM me if interested. He has no computer, and works off of his cell phone, which I won't post on the 'net. His card, is sitting on my desk, however. I know he's delivered to Mount Sinai, Calverton & Eastport, amongst others.

Ok fellow long Islanders,

I have found a good source for firewood. I just got 2 cords all hardwood, split and delivered $100/cord. No joke. Here is a thread with pics.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76058/

It worked out pretty well. The wood is not seasoned. Although the guy will tell you it is. And some of the splits were super small like sort of unfit for stacking. But at that price it's a steal. PM me for the info if you're interested.

And just for the record, it's not me or one of my friends or something shadey. I just don't want to post this guy's info on the web without his consent.

Dominick

Brilliant buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could buy hardwood for $100 a cord, I'd probably not even bother cutting my own.

I'd be tempted to buy two or three years supply now to let some season fully if I had the space.......

I certainly wouldn't worry about it being described as seasoned at that price ;-)

Hi drewsome...I would consider burning Bio-Bricks until you get your wood supply situation lined out. I have never used them...but am sure there are some on the list that have...and maybe they will chime in with more info about them. Franklin

Oldmainer's got a good point. However, I've never tried them.

What I've been doing when I have to burn green wood is split it small and I mix construction debris (2X4s, end cuts from trim, hardwood flooring burns super hot, or pallet wood). This does take a considerable amount of time to gather and cut, but it's free. I'm a carpenter so I have access to a lot of this.

It's not optimal, but it beats burning oil.

I’v e used the envi blocks. Love them. I mixed them with the unseasoned firewood I was told was seasoned. They BTU’s they generate are amazing.
The Bio bricks are too small for me and burn faster. They were very dusty. The packs are too large to handle.

Hey guys, figured I'd open this up again. OP, how have you made out with your wood experience? I just bought a house in Pt. Jefferson Station, Long Island, NY. First time fireplace owner. When we moved in (In August '13) we cut down a bunch of trees and I stacked it in the round thinking it would be ready for December 14. I'm told it won't be. It's oak. I am learning a lot though.

So now come spring (in a month) I need to start looking for places to deliver wood to my house. After looking around it seems there is quite a bit of "scamming" when it comes to the word "seasoned". Most people suggest getting the wood delivered in spring the winter before (like I am hoping to do soon) so that even if it is not entirely seasoned, you can stack it and let it sit for a good 8 months before you burn it in winter.

Where to get wood? And how much is a fair price for a cord? Longislandfirewood in Riverhead has the kiln dried stuff but someone here said it was expensive and their website currently says closed starting feb 28 (!?!).

I'm just looking for a fair price on some "almost" seasoned wood. And, how does it come delivered? Do they just leave a pallet in your driveway?

Thanks everyone.

Did a ton of the envi-block mixed with firewood to get me through this season. I did buy a bit from an older local guy in Huntington about 3 months ago and I was very happy ... the wood was well seasoned and ready to burn. Not the cheapest guy around, and he will charge for delivery, but seasoned wood is hard to find around here once it starts to get cold.

Wow, 4 yr old thread.

Reactions: AmarilloSlim
Did a ton of the envi-block mixed with firewood to get me through this season. I did buy a bit from an older local guy in Huntington about 3 months ago and I was very happy ... the wood was well seasoned and ready to burn. Not the cheapest guy around, and he will charge for delivery, but seasoned wood is hard to find around here once it starts to get cold.
How much?

I just bought a 3 pack of the bio bricks from Tractor supply. 3.49 .
They weight around 6.6 lbs each. And claim to be equivalent to 14 lbs of firewood.
I compared the cost and weight to a cord of dried sugar maple.
You will need 267 if you go by the equivalent weight. If you go by actual weight its 467.
Costing either 310.77 or 543.70
A cord of sugar maple weighs 3740 lbs dried.

I’ve been loving all the great information on these posts, and have decided to get a Jotul 550 Rockland insert. It will be installed in about 2 weeks. Everyone talks about how critical it is to have seasoned, dry wood. Some say it should seasoned a full 2 years. But I have no wood at all. So how does a newbie begin? I don’t wait until 2012 to light my first fire!! I live on Long Island…. does anyone know where to BUY dry seasoned wood? What’s a newbie to do??

I know this isn't the question you asked, but make sure your Rockland is installed with plenty of insulation and a blockoff plate. My insert went into a cavernous masonry hole, and I'm convinced my heat is going straight up and out. I'll get it corrected in 2014, but my installer did NOT get me a "sub-zero" kind of installation. It may not be preposterous for me to imagine the same heat with half the wood, or twice the heat with the same wood. Either way, it's a waste of effort and money for the fuel if you can't get the heat into the house.

I read a specific post where the owner of "our" stove described a night and day difference. So, save your back, your time and your cash before you even put the thing in! Keep us posted. :)

it's a waste of effort and money for the fuel if you can't get the heat into the house.
That's where I'm at with the Buck, but the install is good, got a Roxul batt over the stove and it's an interior chimney. My problem is the stove room; Pretty sure there's no insulation in the attic over the "three-season room"....I'll have to cut some roof decking to get in there. And there's glass on three and a half walls of the room, with weak storm windows. I just discovered that there is a small row of windows all the way around above the regular windows, hidden by a short curtain. That's just single-pane. !!! I'll stop ranting now....it's just that your "waste of effort" statement struck a 'chord' with me. Gotta get more heat out of that room for all the work I put in cutting wood.
But yeah 86, I would try to get some from the guy that Craig S. mentioned and stack it in a windy spot where a lot of air can blow through it (not in a solid block.) Sounds like it might be pretty good by next fall. That will give your Oak a chance to dry out for the following year. Are you going to put a stove on that hearth and install a liner, or just let all your heat and money go up the fireplace chimney? ;)
Whats a face cord?
1/3 of a full cord, if it's cut to 16".

Status
Not open for further replies.