How Does a Newbie Find Firewood on Long Island, NY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ha! I can't tell you the amount of "heat" I have been getting from every single post I make regarding wasting $ because I use a fireplace. I just bought the house in August! Give me a chance!!!!

Well, the fireplace is downstairs. We spend only a couple days a week down there. I just don't know if I should put an insert in that or install a wood burning stove upstairs where we spend most of our time. It depends on $. I thought getting a stove would be much more expensive than in insert. But I am learning that its not. I don't know that much about either.

If the insert is a quarter of the $ of a stove then I would rather do that. Even though we don't spend much time down there, at least I will be doing something productive with the wood.

Put your stove or insert where you want to use the heat. It's hard to move a lot of heat from one floor to the next, and if "downstairs" is a basement (finished or not), you'll be losing a lot of heat into the earth. If your primary need for heat is upstairs, then put the stove or insert upstairs. I see nothing wrong with keeping a fireplace for ambiance fires in an occasional room, and in fact still have one of my three fireplaces left open.

Bumping my original post from 4 years ago, because I STILL am having a difficult time finding a decent firewood dealer on Long Island (that will deliver to Nassau County). Everyone swears their wood is seasoned when it is certainly not. Others bring over garbage softwood and claim it's hardwood. Very difficult time finding a scrupulous dealer.

Does anyone have someone they can recommend? Please help, I'm desperate!

Bumping my original post from 4 years ago, because I STILL am having a difficult time finding a decent firewood dealer on Long Island (that will deliver to Nassau County). Everyone swears their wood is seasoned when it is certainly not. Others bring over garbage softwood and claim it's hardwood. Very difficult time finding a scrupulous dealer.

Its tough. The only place i know thats really seasoned is that place in riverhead only because they kiln dry it. But that doesnt help u and i think they r very expensive. My research has led me to believe there is no such thing as buying seasoned firewood. They dont want to sit on it for that long before they sell it. The best thing is to buy this so called seasoned firewood and let it sit for a year while you finish the seasoning yourself. Again i know this doesnt help.

Btw a guy down the street from me chopped down some trees and has the logs in sections just sitting on his lawn. Some of the pieces are a little big. But he wants someone to get it off his lawn. They have been sitting for a couple months. Pm me if interested. Suffolk county. Port jeff station

Wood dealer's idea of "seasoned" and our idea of dry wood is never going to change or be the same. They can't afford to keep it around two or three years before they sell it. Ya gotta buy a couple of years ahead, top cover and let it get dry.

Reactions: Ashful

Does anyone have someone they can recommend? Please help, I'm desperate![/quote

Way back in this thread a couple of people mentioned Jim in Huntington Station. I bought two pallets from him last season and was very happy. Really nice older guy who operates out of his house. He must sell close to 100 cords per season. He advertises on craigslist all the time. Last year the going rate was $70 for a pallet (about 1/3 cord). He will deliver, but I don't think he wants to, so be prepared to pay a premium if you go that route.

Can you pick it up?? And come out to Ridge with said means to pick it up?

Other wise, buy wayyyy ahead, and replenish as needed, is my thought.

Way back in this thread a couple of people mentioned Jim in Huntington Station. I bought two pallets from him last season and was very happy. Really nice older guy who operates out of his house. He must sell close to 100 cords per season. He advertises on craigslist all the time. Last year the going rate was $70 for a pallet (about 1/3 cord). He will deliver, but I don't think he wants to, so be prepared to pay a premium if you go that route.

Thanks Craig! I just checked Craigslist and couldn't find him. Don't suppose you have his phone number, do you? Otherwise, I guess I can keep checking Craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.