How far ahead are you on the wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis-
Thanks for the advice. I've growed corn a lot of years.
We do have a plant operating in the next town over and corn is a plenty.
I think even at $3/bu. it would be a good deal.

Cluttermagnet said:
Spikem said:
I *do* have a question for the proletariat:

For the red oak I have in the 7x16 area, it's fairly well packed in. By the time I'll be burning it, it will be 2012/2013. Would there be *any* worry of it not being dry by then? I have it up on pallets with pallets horizontally braced on the ends to keep it stacked. No racking worries as I have very solid diagonal bracing for the pallets. But all the wood is in tight rows.
No pictures, and you don't mention whether it is split. If it's rounds, probably not. If it's splits, almost certainly.

Yes, it's all split. The rounds were no longer than 18" in length. The splits tended to be prism shaped, about 4" on each side.

Spikem said:
Cluttermagnet said:
Spikem said:
I *do* have a question for the proletariat:

For the red oak I have in the 7x16 area, it's fairly well packed in. By the time I'll be burning it, it will be 2012/2013. Would there be *any* worry of it not being dry by then? I have it up on pallets with pallets horizontally braced on the ends to keep it stacked. No racking worries as I have very solid diagonal bracing for the pallets. But all the wood is in tight rows.
No pictures, and you don't mention whether it is split. If it's rounds, probably not. If it's splits, almost certainly.

Yes, it's all split. The rounds were no longer than 18" in length. The splits tended to be prism shaped, about 4" on each side.
Two years old now? And you'll burn it in two years? I think you're 'golden'.

Status
Not open for further replies.