how far into your pile are you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I burned quite a bit less of my splits. I had quite a few uglies etc though (and a minisplit). Maybe 1/4 face cord of splits.
I am a bit hesitant given the predictions that the second half of the winter could be colder than normal (La Nina etc) in view of my limited supply.

We have not had the furnace on yet. We have hydronic heat... a big old heated slab. I have not been keeping track of wood consumption, but it seems high considering the relatively mild temperatures. That is because we have the slab sucking up heat, I guess.

We will be out of town this weekend, so we will have to turn on the floor heat. Once the slab is warmed up, our wood consumption will drop significantly.

Reactions: stoveliker
You probably live close to me and I'm guessing I've burned 1/8th of a cord. Have yet to turn the heat on either. I haven't had to keep it going 24/7 yet but I get some coals I can re light on. Wife and I are out of the house for work so I fire it back up around 4-5 most days. Load before bed then load before I leave for work so my house isn't in the 50s when I get home.

1/3 cord burned this year, more than expected for being so early in the season. 1/4 tank of oil too

Reactions: GadDummit
I'm only 1/3 of a RICK, so 1/9 of a cord. But it's only been cold 2 days this year and we were itching for that smoky feel to start the winter. Today is 73 degrees, tomorrow 75, then a real bad cold front comes through on Saturday that'll knock us down to 59. Anything below 60 degrees and, just like molasses, I get hard and freeze up.
Then again, when it's 110 outside I'm going strong and making hay.

Tomorrow is December 1st and I've already burned a little over 1/4 cord. 1600 sf home with a <2 sf fire box stove, heating 100% with wood so far.

The weather for the foreseeable future is looking to be mostly in the mid/low 30's

Hows everyone else faring?

About the same. Went to full time burning on Nov. 19th.

1/6 of a cord so far.

it's been weird weather- it was colder than usual and rained a lot in October, now in November it's warmer than usual and sunny. Too warm to run the stove. The fire season ending rain was welcome but we need more since it was so dry last year.

Reactions: GadDummit
I've burned about 1/2 a cord so far in Central MA. I heat my 1700 sq ft with 100% wood in a 1.85 cu ft Osburn 1600 insert.

I could have used less wood but we've been enjoying it warm inside and I'm well ahead on wood so why not!

Tomorrow is December 1st and I've already burned a little over 1/4 cord. 1600 sf home with a <2 sf fire box stove, heating 100% with wood so far.

The weather for the foreseeable future is looking to be mostly in the mid/low 30's

Hows everyone else faring?
Sounds about right - I'm a little more than that, but I started with tulip - warmed me up 3 times: once splitting it, once "constantly" bringing wheelbarrow loads into the garage, and once when I burned it 🤣

2/3 of a cord so far, would have been more but we spent the coldest week away while our newborn was in the NICU.

Maybe a 1/4 of a cord if not a little less for probably 80% of our heating needs. If the heat pump kicks on when it's over 45 and I'm out of the house then so be it. It has been pretty warm here this fall and the 7 day forecast is calling for more warm weather. Sure hope this weather pattern changes soon.

I've burned about 1/2 a cord so far in Central MA. I heat my 1700 sq ft with 100% wood in a 1.85 cu ft Osburn 1600 insert.

I could have used less wood but we've been enjoying it warm inside and I'm well ahead on wood so why not!
Part of what I like about wood heat is being able to have a surplus and having more heat than we need without worry.

2/3 of a cord so far, would have been more but we spent the coldest week away while our newborn was in the NICU.

Amazing work they do in the NICU. My sister had a daughter that was around 4 months premature. The diapers they used for her were smaller than a flip phone. She was on oxygen because her lungs weren't developed. She is a healthy 4 year old firecracker now. Just amazing what they can do. Hope all is well.

Sitting at 1/3 cord at the moment. I’m usually around 1/3 per month give or take.

I never really bother worrying about how much wood I use or have since I have several years worth of ready to burn wood every single year . . . but I would guess I have burned around a cord of wood this year -- mostly punks, chunks, uglies and pine.

Reactions: Gearhead660
2 cords ish once I burn the stuff I brought in today. 2/3 of that is what I classify as “softwood” IE pine, boxelder, aspen, pin cherry. The other third is black cherry or better.

Five face cord of pine (started burning in Sept.) once the s/s wood was done we moved on to hardwood, when we're finished with the last of the rack we're burning from that will make one face cord of hardwood.

Last year we burned 50 bags of pellets, hopefully we're around that same number this year but if we go over that's fine, we started with 150 bags in stock at a local dealer so we're set for three years or a little less on the pellets.

Reactions: Gearhead660