how far into your pile are you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Been burning nothing but uglies. Gone through 3 bins so far, about .5 cord I would guess. Only 1 bin left then into the good splits. Heating a big ol farm house.

Hardly anything has been burned in my stove yet. Just a few fireboxes full. I have not even got to the uglies yet. Most of my uglies are pretty large knotty stuff and it really has not been cold enough for that yet. Supposed to cool down the next few day but warm up again by the end of the week. I'm not sad about my wood saving so far this year.

Checked my oil tank this past weekend . . . I may not know exactly how much wood I have burned, but I can tell you I have only burned 19 gallons of heating oil so far this year.

My season started in May this year with the Garn after a leak repair. I have burned about three full cord of mostly hedge for domestic and heating the house. Haven't turned the floor or the air handler on in the shop yet. Probably going to need some heat in the shop this week.

Tomorrow is December 1st and I've already burned a little over 1/4 cord. 1600 sf home with a <2 sf fire box stove, heating 100% with wood so far.

The weather for the foreseeable future is looking to be mostly in the mid/low 30's

Hows everyone else faring?
Same area of the country and I got through about 1/4 cord into my stack. I have a 2000 sq ft home, but only burn weekends and night time. I use the oil heat during the day.

Was cold today about -7 Fahrenheit, got about 8" - 10" of snow yesterday so I spent a few hours plowing snow. I have my wood separated in the shed so have fall and spring wood and colder season wood piled separately. In total I have probably burned about 2/3s of a cord of wood.

Reactions: ozarkoak
Probably burned 1/2 a cord so far. Used my gas furnace some in early Nov to conserve some wood

I am probably close to 3/4 cord, maybe a little less. I heat from the basement so will naturally burn more often than other during warmer days but I thought I would use less wood with this new EPA stove, however it is the opposite. Not because it is inefficient, but because it is basically running nonstop with a day off here and there. Cold starting the Defiant everyday, and getting it up to temp and then leaving wasn't practical so I often wouldn't bother until I got home. Now I have coals left in the morning and reload. Needless to say I am not saving on wood, but I am ok with that with propane at $3.95/gallon on my last delivery, which should last until next summer at least. I may be short of wood this year but I have already been preparing for the next couple of years with a bigger supply. Live and learn.

Reactions: stoveliker
Not very far at all. it’s 67 outside now. No cold weather in the forecast here.

Not as far as I figured I’d be by this point. Maybe ran 3/4th of a cord through the stove this season. This cyclical weather has really saved me some. Figuring on colder weather starting in January though.

Mostly the shorts and uglies on top of the stacks. Had enough shorts to do a few North South loads in the jotul f400. About 8 Inch long shorts and chunks. They burned great so will be burning NS with shorts in the future rather than chucking them in randomly on established coals.

Reactions: MEngineer24
If I were to guess probably a little more than 1/3 of a cord and 1/4 of a tank of oil. I am out of the house during he day so I'm just burning nights and weekends. It's been a fairly warm winter here so far. High of nearly 60 today.

Very slow start here in western VA. mayyybe 1/3 cord. That's pushing it.

I'm at 1-1/3 cords, the cold weather has really set in now, we are going to be getting close to -40 tonight.
Wow -40! It was +16C in Ottawa today. And look what is going on in the US. Crazy weather times for sure.

Less than 1/4 of a cord for sure, but about 150 gal of propane. Been mostly furnace up until a few weeks ago.

Between 1/2 & 3/4 of a cord. According to the weather forecast here it will start picking up shortly though. We had record high temp here today. Front is going thru right now and the temp has dropped 5 degrees in the last 45 minutes. Was 58 here today and supposed to drop down to 25 later tonight.

1/4 cord max... its been way to warm here lately!

A little under a third of a cord. Been warm enough that even my cold hating wife hasn't asked as often for a fire.

In my wood shed bins, all 8 of them still have some amount of wood in them with 6 still being 100% full (and also full of wood that is not ready yet). Bin #1 and #5 are the two currently being worked on and just recently bin #5 the front stack of wood has been used which is probably about .5 cords. So I would estimate so far 1 full cord of split wood has been burned just using the splits from bin #1 and #5, going 24 hrs a day since Halloween with a few random shut downs due to too warm of outside temps. I couldn't tell you cord wise the amount of shorts, uglies, etc I have but still have a decent pile of them left on my pallets and I try and use them when the least amount of heat would be needed. For the rest of this winter I have nearly 2 cords of hickory that needs to go and after that I have 2 cords worth of ash I can dig into if need be and would be ok to burn. After that it would be oak, elm, and locust all of which I want to burn starting next winter. So basically I need to stock up heavily on ash as soon as bin #1 or #5 is empty. I can move my locust into there and then have 2 10 ft pallets open to new logs, hopefully this will occur by Feb at the latest.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
already burned through it
living in mountains with two woodstoves
one for upper floor one for lower floor
have tons of manzanita and have some oak
collecting since july into a shed and just ran out a few days ago
been collecting again although its now wet wood

Closing in on the 1st of March and I am right around the 3 cord mark for the season thus far. I usually burn 24/7 till the 1st of April before switching over to propane. How is everyone else making out on the consumption so far ?

About 6.5 cords down, another 3.5 to go, before I turn my attention from firewood to mulch and turf.

Reactions: rottiman