How I make hot water in winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
walter do have any idea what the water temps are going in and coming out of your unit?

frank
No idea....but if I run the stove hard for heat it will make the T and P do its job :) I have emptied my share of five gallon buckets this winter!

Are they just soldered copper fittings inside the fire box?

This looks really interesting. If you are finding your T&P valve going a lot, you might want to think about piping in a large radiator with a thermostatic valve on it as a 'heat dump' to release the heat once the water tank gets up to temp. Or maybe another T&P valve? You don't want to be in a bind if your only one fails.

Reactions: Walter2
Or I could just add a variable speed pump and move the water faster so it doesn't get the chance to over heat.
The TandP is is working under heat not pressure as the water gets hotter in summer with solar than winter with the stove.

This looks really interesting. If you are finding your T&P valve going a lot, you might want to think about piping in a large radiator with a thermostatic valve on it as a 'heat dump' to release the heat once the water tank gets up to temp. Or maybe another T&P valve? You don't want to be in a bind if your only one fails.
Extra T and P is a good idea and will happen this weekend.

No solder in fire box. The coil is manufactured by hillcoil in New York here is the site. http://www.hilkoil.com/

Thanks Walter. I thought that was what you had mentioned, but the photo looked very similar to just some copper piping put together in there. Figured I would ask instead of wonder. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.