How long would this take you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Worked on this stack yesterday. It was in log form, on the ground (about a 22" diameter tree). I bucked, split and stacked it. Trailered it in 3 small loads from a neighbors yard about 300 yards.
The stack is approx 4' high, 8' long, 18" lengths.
Did not have to clean up the branch debris.

Attachments

• black walnut.jpg
    black walnut.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 864
15 minutes, but that would be stopping for a lemonade :lol:

It takes me way longer than 15 minutes to produce a face cord of wood! But I don't have a 22 ton splitter. I have two 8 lb mauls one powered by a 160# splitter the other powered by a 200+# splitter.

On the other hand, I much prefer swinging an 8lb maul in the back yard over lifting weights in a gym.

It took me about 4 hours of work, splitting with a maul and fiskars. Thats a lot of work for a little wood.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
It takes me way longer than 15 minutes to produce a face cord of wood! But I don't have a 22 ton splitter. I have two 8 lb mauls one powered by a 160# splitter the other powered by a 200+# splitter.

On the other hand, I much prefer swinging an 8lb maul in the back yard over lifting weights in a gym.

Yep, I thought the same thing doing 6 cords a year by hand until I got the splitter. There is still plenty of activity left with the lifting and stacking. In all reality I was teasing, it takes longer then 15 minutes. Any way you cut it, its usable btu's ;-)

gzecc said:
It took me about 4 hours of work, splitting with a maul and fiskars. Thats a lot of work for a little wood.

But you enjoyed it didn't you? Maybe it's a lot of exercise, time well-spent, fun... for a little wood.
Scrounging wood for heat makes sense if you can't afford to pay for heat or you like the process IMO.

Believe it or not, I've heated through winters using just hand saws.

I got the chainsaw hoping that the faster work would give me a jump on cutting a year or two ahead. It's still plenty of work with a chainsaw, but I've noticed that the chainsaw wears on my back more. Using the bow saw and two-man saw only get's me winded - no leftover pain.

If I can get a year or two ahead, I would put away all the power tools. Unfortunately I also like to take time to fish and hunt.

Oh, and it'd prob take me an hour or so more, 'cause I'd have to borrow a truck first.

If I could get my wife and kid off the property for awhile I'd say I could go from downed log to stacked firewood in an afternoon, split by hand.

Cut and split where the log dropped, toss it in the Wheelbarrow (aka pickup truck) and drive it to the stacking site. Go back and rake the area clean and crack open a cold one.

Since I can't get my wife and kid off the property for any meaningful length of time, I'd say that same operation would take me a week.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Believe it or not, I've heated through winters using just hand saws.

I got the chainsaw hoping that the faster work would give me a jump on cutting a year or two ahead. It's still plenty of work with a chainsaw, but I've noticed that the chainsaw wears on my back more. Using the bow saw and two-man saw only get's me winded - no leftover pain.

If I can get a year or two ahead, I would put away all the power tools. Unfortunately I also like to take time to fish and hunt.

All I can say is wow. Up to what size wood would you cut with a bow saw?
I remember back about 15 years ago at our county fair they had an open 2-man saw contest. My grandfather (late 60's) and another ole'timer whopped all the strappin' young guys 'cause they knew how to run the saw nice & smooth.

Black Jack, You would use a bow saw on a 22" trunk? How long would that one cut take? You think it's easier than using a chain saw for the same?

I don't think he meant he'd use a bow saw on that particular tree, but I wanna hear more bowsaw stories too.

Half an hour to split a face cord. I bring it home a cord at a time and it usually takes a couple hours to pick it up. I'll spend 4 hours of my time and $15 out of pocket to get out of paying for a cord of wood any day.

I think it takes me about 2 hours to split a full cord so a face cord should take me about 40 minutes. Stacking however, takes me forever cuz I'm too anal about it.

It would take me a relatively long time. Wait until you're nearly 62, then perform the task again, and ask the same question. I don't worry so much about how long things take me anymore...they take as long as they take. So long as I get them done without keeling over, I've succeeded. %-P Rick

mayhem said:
If I could get my wife and kid off the property for awhile I'd say I could go from downed log to stacked firewood in an afternoon, split by hand.

Cut and split where the log dropped, toss it in the Wheelbarrow (aka pickup truck) and drive it to the stacking site. Go back and rake the area clean and crack open a cold one.

Since I can't get my wife and kid off the property for any meaningful length of time, I'd say that same operation would take me a week.

Ditto.

If it was laying on the ground in my yard, I think I'd get it done in under three hours. Moving the wood from the neighbor's yard would take longer, since I currently don't have a decent wood hauler. Probably I could do it in under two hours if I hustled and didn't hit the usual snags like running out of gas, need to sharpen a chain, phone calls, little league practice, nightfall... I am just guessing about the two hours, since I have never managed to find that much time without interruption. Also, i try not to hurry with the chainsaw, since that seems more dangerous than taking my time.

Is that black walnut? If so, it'd take me about two hours to cut and split it by hand, then two days to sort through it all to pull out the best bowl turning blanks. There would end up being no stacking done, but tons of end sealing to avoid cracking.

Batten, Do you have any examples of the bowls you've made. I do have some other blanks that I may be able to use.

It seems like it takes longer than it should but before you know it you have a lot of wood on hand and you forget about how long it took.

I dont even start the saws up for less than a cord so a face cord without brush and everything in full swing 40 min.

It takes a long time. I see why some dealers try to under deliver and never have seasoned wood. Seasoning would add 20% more labor. Most people don't even appreciate it!

gzecc said:
It takes a long time. I see why some dealers try to under deliver and never have seasoned wood. Seasoning would add 20% more labor. Most people don't even appreciate it!

lol that really somes it up! Most on here will swear if there doing the work its 5 cords and if there buying a cord its way short and ready to fight.....There is a lot of work involed no question there but a cords a cord either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.