How long would this take you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gzecc said:
Batten, Do you have any examples of the bowls you've made. I do have some other blanks that I may be able to use.

OK, it's your thread so I'll grudgingly oblige... :cheese:

Top left is Mountain Mahogany burl (not really a mahogany), top right is goncalo alves. 2nd row left is another goncalo alves bowl, right is cocobolo. Bottom four are all black walnut. The short, squatty one is from a walnut crotch.

Attachments

• Mountain-Mahogany.jpg
    Mountain-Mahogany.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Goncalo-Alves-Flared.jpg
    Goncalo-Alves-Flared.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Goncalo-Alves.jpg
    Goncalo-Alves.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Cocobolo.jpg
    Cocobolo.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Walnut-Crotch.jpg
    Walnut-Crotch.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Walnut-Flared.jpg
    Walnut-Flared.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Walnut-Flat-Bottom.jpg
    Walnut-Flat-Bottom.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Walnut-Round-Bottom.jpg
    Walnut-Round-Bottom.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 218
Beautiful bowls.

Last year I came into a bunch of Ash trees. They were about 60' tall without many branches left. I could get my equipment, hook up the trailer and go over, not far away and drop the tree. I'd cut to length and run through the splitter and throw into the trailer and take home and dump. It'd be around 1/2 a cord or so. It would take me about 3 hours start to finish and that includes clean up and putting away the equipment and running back over to pick up the trailer. It was kind of fun because it was so easy.

Battenkiller said:
gzecc said:
Batten, Do you have any examples of the bowls you've made. I do have some other blanks that I may be able to use.

OK, it's your thread so I'll grudgingly oblige... :cheese:

Top left is Mountain Mahogany burl (not really a mahogany), top right is goncalo alves. 2nd row left is another goncalo alves bowl, right is cocobolo. Bottom four are all black walnut. The short, squatty one is from a walnut crotch.

WOW!!!!!!!!

Those bowls are incredible!

Thanks, guys.

It makes it real hard to burn some stuff when I know I can turn it into something nice. Crotch figure chunks, flamed figure, and burls are a given for salvage, but even a big half-round of ash has its own charms in a salad bowl, plain as it may be to look at all on its own. Truth is, I save more than I ever can turn. I have about 200 turnable blanks on hand, many of them exotic woods. Every year I have a clearing day where I burn all the stuff that got cracked or is less than spectacular. It's usually the driest stuff I ever burn. ;-)

Battenkiller said:
Thanks, guys.

It makes it real hard to burn some stuff when I know I can turn it into something nice. Crotch figure chunks, flamed figure, and burls are a given for salvage, but even a big half-round of ash has its own charms in a salad bowl, plain as it may be to look at all on its own. Truth is, I save more than I ever can turn. I have about 200 turnable blanks on hand, many of them exotic woods. Every year I have a clearing day where I burn all the stuff that got cracked or is less than spectacular. It's usually the driest stuff I ever burn. ;-)

Ash is good because of the difference in staining between early and late wood. Nearly zebra stripe.

Black Jack, You would use a bow saw on a 22” trunk? How long would that one cut take? You think it’s easier than using a chain saw for the same?

No I wouldn't use a bow-saw to cut a 22" log. I specifically typed "hand-saw" because we would use a combination of two-man saw and bow saws.

On the Gear Forum I have a thread called "50-inch saw" or something like that. In it there is a Youtube link to me and my son cutting with the two-man saw.

I've seen two man saw races before and I'm not impressed. They're always sprints. I have yet to see anyone cut all day at the pace those racers go.

If I've got a good sawbuck the two-man saw is actually very pleasant. If you use your legs it's about like going for a jog only without the road shock. You get sweaty and a bit winded but that just makes the cold ones all that much better.

Using the bow saws seem to be all arm work. That can get painful. The bow-saw stroke just isn't long enough to work your legs. However there are some things that the bowsaw is just better suited for.

Actually the thing I appreciate the best about the chainsaw is the ability to work in tight quarters (and the speed). With the two-man saw we have to clear a pretty large work space before cutting. Running the chainsaw vs. a two-man saw is like the difference between standing all day and walking all day. At the end of a day of standing around my body has all kinds of aches and knots. At the end of a day of constant walking, my muscles are tired but I don't have the aches.

gzecc said:
Worked on this stack yesterday. It was in log form, on the ground (about a 22" diameter tree). I bucked, split and stacked it. Trailered it in 3 small loads from a neighbors yard about 300 yards.
The stack is approx 4' high, 8' long, 18" lengths.
Did not have to clean up the branch debris.

It would take me about 1 hour with my Fiskars Super and Pro splitter axes. AS long as the wood is not a problem to split like Elm , Beech or Sycamore . I prefer to split by hand while listening to the radio. Im fairly fit and I`ve learned how to read grain to ease the process but I also know what battles I can not win. Some woods are tough and a splitter is a must. Good job

glenng said:
gzecc said:
Worked on this stack yesterday. It was in log form, on the ground (about a 22" diameter tree). I bucked, split and stacked it. Trailered it in 3 small loads from a neighbors yard about 300 yards.
The stack is approx 4' high, 8' long, 18" lengths.
Did not have to clean up the branch debris.

It would take me about 1 hour with my Fiskars Super and Pro splitter axes. AS long as the wood is not a problem to split like Elm , Beech or Sycamore . I prefer to split by hand while listening to the radio. Im fairly fit and I`ve learned how to read grain to ease the process but I also know what battles I can not win. Some woods are tough and a splitter is a must. Good job
I think he was talking about the whole thing stacking splitting and bucking so an hour would be impressive!

oldspark said:
I think he was talking about the whole thing stacking splitting and bucking so an hour would be impressive!
Might be faster if the tasks were done the other way around. First buck, then split, then stack.

It's like that plunder and pillage stuff... I don't get it. If you plunder first, there's nothing left to pillage.

LLigetfa said:
oldspark said:
Might be faster if the tasks were done the other way around. First buck, then split, then stack.

It's like that plunder and pillage stuff... I don't get it. If you plunder first, there's nothing left to pillage.[/quoteThats what I am doing wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.