How many cords of firewood needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Felling trees, moving (atv), cutting, splitting stacking, all by myself. I dont think i have ever worked this hard (physically) in my entire life.
I am a firewood n00b and software engineer by profession and not used to this kind of physical work ;em
but it is satisfying.

I have covered the firewood in two different styles. i am planning on covering up with tarp later.
Backside firewood is covered 2/3 and front side is just the top.

which one is the right way? or do i need to cover them fully to protect from rain?

View attachment 296247
The left side, with the shorter covers, stands a better chance for quicker summer drying. Wind blowing through the stacks is quite effective at accelerating drying. It helps to orient the stacks so that the prevailing winds can blow thru them.

The left side, with the shorter covers, stands a better chance for quicker summer drying. Wind blowing through the stacks is quite effective at accelerating drying. It helps to orient the stacks so that the prevailing winds can blow thru them.

i should mention that, the rear side ones [ with longer cover ], i usually leave them uncovered if it is not raining. Cover has easy access zippers. [posted in previous pictures]

Reactions: RomanW
Im a little late to this thread, summer means less time on Hearth.com. I live in SE PA, couple hours away. I have 3 years under my belt with my insert. I have burned 2.5 cords each of the last 3 years with very little supplement from my heat pump, and none from the 2nd stage propane back up. I currently have 9 cords stacked and split so I try to stay 3 years ahead.

My guess is 3 cords is a good estimate, I start burning middle of Nov and finish in mid Apr. Absolutely get a moisture meter with your mixed stacks. If you can get 5 or 6 cords set up this year you can slow down in my opinion. Then next year add another 5 or 6 cords and you would be 3 years ahead.

Reactions: boomfire
Im a little late to this thread, summer means less time on Hearth.com. I live in SE PA, couple hours away. I have 3 years under my belt with my insert. I have burned 2.5 cords each of the last 3 years with very little supplement from my heat pump, and none from the 2nd stage propane back up. I currently have 9 cords stacked and split so I try to stay 3 years ahead.

My guess is 3 cords is a good estimate, I start burning middle of Nov and finish in mid Apr. Absolutely get a moisture meter with your mixed stacks. If you can get 5 or 6 cords set up this year you can slow down in my opinion. Then next year add another 5 or 6 cords and you would be 3 years ahead.

Thanks, that confirms what others mentioned about 3-4 cords being sufficient.

I am shooting for 3 to 4 cords this year. 5 might be tough.
I scored 1 cord of cut/split and seasoned firewood today for free. Someone bought a home near by as a summer vacation home and didn't need the firewood that came with the house, they wanted it off their property. That will reduce my work a little bit.

I am shooting for 3 to 4 cords this year. 5 might be tough.
Average users here in the lower 48 come in at roughly 4 cords per year. With oil and propane prices being what they are, more is better. Free is AWESOME. The first two years are the hardest. You are in the small group at the head of the class who are going to great going into September 2024. Cancel your gym membership, via con Dios.

Reactions: boomfire and Ashful
Average users here in the lower 48 come in at roughly 4 cords per year. With oil and propane prices being what they are, more is better. Free is AWESOME. The first two years are the hardest. You are in the small group at the head of the class who are going to great going into September 2024. Cancel your gym membership, via con Dios.

No kidding about propane. I paid close to 500 per month this last Feb/March for propane. Who knows what the price will be this coming winter.

Who knows what the price will be this coming winter.
Fuel costs will come down. Perhaps not in time for the beginning of our next heating system, but more than likely before it's over.

There is only so long Russia's own oligarchs will allow the present situation to continue, before Putin has a bad trip and fall. World markets will take some time to re-normalize, and present embargoes will take some political pressure to cancel, but it will happen. Profit always beats principles and loyalty, in geopolitical matters.

Fuel costs will come down. Perhaps not in time for the beginning of our next heating system, but more than likely before it's over.

There is only so long Russia's own oligarchs will allow the present situation to continue, before Putin has a bad trip and fall. World markets will take some time to re-normalize, and present embargoes will take some political pressure to cancel, but it will happen. Profit always beats principles and loyalty, in geopolitical matters.

I hope the costs come down, but something feels different this time. I finally took leap of faith and bought an EV [Ioniq 5 AWD] and also have another gas vehicle as a backup. Either way, personally its a win win for me, from vehicles and woodinsert perspective. By my calculations the woodinsert will pay for itself in under 2.5 years for me.

I hope the costs come down, but something feels different this time. I finally took leap of faith and bought an EV [Ioniq 5 AWD] and also have another gas vehicle as a backup. Either way, personally its a win win for me, from vehicles and woodinsert perspective. By my calculations the woodinsert will pay for itself in under 2.5 years for me.
Yes, in the right circumstance wood heat can save a lot, especially if the wood is free.
Way to go on the Ioniq5. They are hard to find and dealers want a 20% premium above list price locally.

3 cords of firewood finally ready.
2 cords i have cut and split, 1 ready to be split, and 1 was free.
All the firewood came from dead standing or fallen trees.
Took me little over 2 months overall, to install a new fireplace, cut and split firewood. [n00b to self sufficient]
I can finally take a quick break and enjoy the summer.

Looking around the forum gave me a ton of ideas for next year collection which i might be starting during winter [lot easier to work than this scorching 80 degree heat].

I bought quiet a bit of equipment, they are expensive, but will last a long time. Best thing i bought was a timberjack tool. I was destroying or dulling the chainsaw chains (accidentally) quiet a bit before that. Since i bought the tool, it has been smooth sailing. Live and learn i guess.

wood.jpg

3 cords of firewood finally ready.
2 cords i have cut and split, 1 ready to be split, and 1 was free.
All the firewood came from dead standing or fallen trees.
Took me little over 2 months overall, to install a new fireplace, cut and split firewood. [n00b to self sufficient]
I can finally take a quick break and enjoy the summer.

Looking around the forum gave me a ton of ideas for next year collection which i might be starting during winter [lot easier to work than this scorching 80 degree heat].

I bought quiet a bit of equipment, they are expensive, but will last a long time. Best thing i bought was a timberjack tool. I was destroying or dulling the chainsaw chains (accidentally) quiet a bit before that. Since i bought the tool, it has been smooth sailing. Live and learn i guess.

View attachment 296896
Not sure where you are in PA, but here in the 'burbs north of Philly, I've continuously had as much or more than I can process. Word got out at work, and among my neighbors, that I'm a firewood whore. Now, everytime someone has blow-down or a dead tree, they offer it to me. Some even deliver, although I prefer to go fetch my own, to keep it in log form for easier handling.

NEPA here. I never get years ahead on wood, so the wood I’m burning the same year is cross stacked on pallets. By making square stacks with lots of air space between all logs, much more air moves through. I have enough land to cut only standing dead and storm damage, plus neighbors give me plenty. Live trees are treated differently, and not burned for 2 to 3 years depending on species.

You will be able to tell the different woods with practice. Oak is darker inside, much heavier since it holds much more moisture. Dead ash from the Ash Borer turns bark white on the outside, and under bark is what looks like worm marks. The wood itself is very white. Ash has the least amount of moisture alive or dead. They are almost ready when cut fresh. This year I am experimenting with very few top covers. I have a shelter that holds 1 1/2 cords under roof. If I ever clean out a carport with unused stuff under it, I’m planning on using that for my wood shelter and park the splitter under it instead of tarps.

B24A257C-5FCD-45F5-BD65-8E840E8FC9C7.jpeg Rounds on ground to be split are next winter. No other heat source here. Wood or coal only. Last year we ran a coal stove to catch up on wood. This year will be wood only. We fire the stove when the back bedroom hits 64f. It is a cookstove as well, so firing it to cook morning, noon and night is usually enough. Colder nights we load to burn all night. Have to be careful to not overheat 2000 sf with a stove capable of heating up to 3000. Summer clothes are not put away for the winter here.

Welcome to the forums!!

I'd bite the bullet, and buy some semi seasoned cords (full cords), get it top covered, and let it finish seasoning. AND keep doing what you are doing. Get a head, it's the only way.

Here, on Long Island, I use 2-4 cords, depends on the winter, I figure for 4, and am always 2 years ahead, at least.

I second the pine, it's saved my butt more than once. It just needs to be seasoned.
I'm on LI, too. You burn 2-4 full cords or face cords per winter? If full cords then I am in trouble. I have a home construction project that keeps getting delayed. Part of that project is having a lopi evergreen installed. I've never had a stove or fireplace, so I have no idea how much wood I will burn each winter. I'd like to burn 24/7 during winter once I get the hang of it.

I have 2.5 - 3 cords of wood stacked/drying and I thought I was in pretty good shape. I thought this would definitely last more than 1 winter. I have my wood stacked in a single row along my fence with enough room for another cord. I don't think I have enough room to stack 8 cords. That's a lot of wood!!

I burn about 2.5-3 cords per winter. And that is not burning when it's above 40 F for 24 hrs or more (then I use my mini split).

Get at least 6 cords stacked, so it can season for at least two years. I have three years stacked (and covered!) In my shed.

If full cords then I am in trouble... That's a lot of wood!!
Welcome aboard! I'm south of you and putting 7 full cords thru one stove, with another 3 through another. Most here seem to run 3 - 4 cords per year, keeping a stove going November thru March. These are full cords, "face cords" are for part-timers who buy their wood in bundles at the grocery store.

The good news is that, what seems daunting now, will become "no big deal" soon enough. You'll develop a system and pattern that works for you, we've all done it.

If it helps, consider buying a few cords already split, to get started. It's not the cheapest way to get the job done, but it can get you off to a good start, if you're presently under the gun. Just don't expect it to be dry for this winter, unless you get set up real quick with a redneck solar kiln (i.e. clear plastic sheeting in the sun).

Reactions: ClintonH and DonTee
quick with a redneck solar kiln (i.e. clear plastic sheeting in the sun).
I resemble that remark. Internet searching on the term "passive solar firewood kiln" will bring the searcher to this website. While aesthetics are debatable, on the one hand form follows function and on the other they look a lot better than an old rusty car up on blocks.

This is a 10x4 setup. Took me about 8 hours total from felling the dead trees, cut them, transport, Pile all the logs. Once i think i have enough. I move to splitting. I split a few and start stacking, rinse and repeat until i fill the 10x4.

I am not sure how to make it quicker.
I have an electric log splitter, that is not fast enough, but overall works great.

Ideally it would be great if I can cut, split and stack a cord in 2 days (16 hours).
Trying to figure out how to do this better.

ash2.jpg

Last edited:
This is a 10x4 setup. Took me about 8 hours total from felling the dead trees, cut them, transport, Pile all the logs. Once i think i have enough. I move to splitting. I split a few and start stacking, rinse and repeat until i fill the 10x4.

I am not sure how to make it quicker.
I have an electric log splitter, that is not fast enough, but overall works great.

Ideally it would be great if I can cut, split and stack a cord in 2 days (16 hours).
Trying to figure out how to do this better.

View attachment 297025
i cut some then split it right there. Then cut some more and split again right there, Then hopefully my vehicle is right there to load in the split pieces. Do that till vehicle is full. Then drive right to stack and stack pieces either directly onto stack, or into wheelbarrow then roll that right next to stack and stack up directly. I'm trying to reduce picking up off the ground, and also load stack from off the ground (wheelbarrow or vehicle).

i cut some then split it right there. Then cut some more and split again right there, Then hopefully my vehicle is right there to load in the split pieces. Do that till vehicle is full. Then drive right to stack and stack pieces either directly onto stack, or into wheelbarrow then roll that right next to stack and stack up directly. I'm trying to reduce picking up off the ground, and also load stack from off the ground (wheelbarrow or vehicle).

In hindsight, may be i should have bought a gas splitter instead of electric.
I can haul it with ATV into woods since i made a decent trail around the property. May be next year.

:(

In hindsight, may be i should have bought a gas splitter instead of electric.
I can haul it with ATV into woods since i made a decent trail around the property. May be next year.

:(
Get a fiskars maul if you are able to lift an 8 pound head. It 1/4s big rounds fast. No need to haul a big splitter. I use it 50-70% of the time.

+1 to the Fiskars. I use mine for everything I can split by hand. The rest gets run through the hyd splitter.
I split around 75% of my wood by hand. It helps having a bunch of straight trees cut from the woods though. If you were splitting yard trees it might be tougher.

I'm splitting everything by hand, so no hauling a splitter.

Sorry, really bad right shoulder. can't do :(
If you have a portable generator with enough power, you could use that with the electric splitter? Rather than buy another splitter. The generator is useful elsewhere too...

Sorry, really bad right shoulder. can't do :(
If your shoulder gets better at some point, get a light maul. That's all i use, and it's a big difference on your shoulder. 8 lbs is way to heavy (even without an injury) in my opinion for what i split. Mostly oak, locust, cherry, maple, pine. Some people do prefer the heavy mauls but if the lighter one works for a person then that's the one to go with.