How many cords of firewood needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Felling trees, moving (atv), cutting, splitting stacking, all by myself. I dont think i have ever worked this hard (physically) in my entire life.
I am a firewood n00b and software engineer by profession and not used to this kind of physical work ;em
but it is satisfying.

I have covered the firewood in two different styles. i am planning on covering up with tarp later.
Backside firewood is covered 2/3 and front side is just the top.

which one is the right way? or do i need to cover them fully to protect from rain?

View attachment 296247
The left side, with the shorter covers, stands a better chance for quicker summer drying. Wind blowing through the stacks is quite effective at accelerating drying. It helps to orient the stacks so that the prevailing winds can blow thru them.

boomfire

Jun 9, 2022
PA
The left side, with the shorter covers, stands a better chance for quicker summer drying. Wind blowing through the stacks is quite effective at accelerating drying. It helps to orient the stacks so that the prevailing winds can blow thru them.

i should mention that, the rear side ones [ with longer cover ], i usually leave them uncovered if it is not raining. Cover has easy access zippers. [posted in previous pictures]

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
Im a little late to this thread, summer means less time on Hearth.com. I live in SE PA, couple hours away. I have 3 years under my belt with my insert. I have burned 2.5 cords each of the last 3 years with very little supplement from my heat pump, and none from the 2nd stage propane back up. I currently have 9 cords stacked and split so I try to stay 3 years ahead.

My guess is 3 cords is a good estimate, I start burning middle of Nov and finish in mid Apr. Absolutely get a moisture meter with your mixed stacks. If you can get 5 or 6 cords set up this year you can slow down in my opinion. Then next year add another 5 or 6 cords and you would be 3 years ahead.

Reactions: boomfire

boomfire

Jun 9, 2022
PA
Im a little late to this thread, summer means less time on Hearth.com. I live in SE PA, couple hours away. I have 3 years under my belt with my insert. I have burned 2.5 cords each of the last 3 years with very little supplement from my heat pump, and none from the 2nd stage propane back up. I currently have 9 cords stacked and split so I try to stay 3 years ahead.

My guess is 3 cords is a good estimate, I start burning middle of Nov and finish in mid Apr. Absolutely get a moisture meter with your mixed stacks. If you can get 5 or 6 cords set up this year you can slow down in my opinion. Then next year add another 5 or 6 cords and you would be 3 years ahead.

Thanks, that confirms what others mentioned about 3-4 cords being sufficient.

I am shooting for 3 to 4 cords this year. 5 might be tough.
I scored 1 cord of cut/split and seasoned firewood today for free. Someone bought a home near by as a summer vacation home and didn't need the firewood that came with the house, they wanted it off their property. That will reduce my work a little bit.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I am shooting for 3 to 4 cords this year. 5 might be tough.
Average users here in the lower 48 come in at roughly 4 cords per year. With oil and propane prices being what they are, more is better. Free is AWESOME. The first two years are the hardest. You are in the small group at the head of the class who are going to great going into September 2024. Cancel your gym membership, via con Dios.

Reactions: boomfire and Ashful

boomfire

Jun 9, 2022
PA
Average users here in the lower 48 come in at roughly 4 cords per year. With oil and propane prices being what they are, more is better. Free is AWESOME. The first two years are the hardest. You are in the small group at the head of the class who are going to great going into September 2024. Cancel your gym membership, via con Dios.

No kidding about propane. I paid close to 500 per month this last Feb/March for propane. Who knows what the price will be this coming winter.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Who knows what the price will be this coming winter.
Fuel costs will come down. Perhaps not in time for the beginning of our next heating system, but more than likely before it's over.

There is only so long Russia's own oligarchs will allow the present situation to continue, before Putin has a bad trip and fall. World markets will take some time to re-normalize, and present embargoes will take some political pressure to cancel, but it will happen. Profit always beats principles and loyalty, in geopolitical matters.

boomfire

Jun 9, 2022
PA
Fuel costs will come down. Perhaps not in time for the beginning of our next heating system, but more than likely before it's over.

There is only so long Russia's own oligarchs will allow the present situation to continue, before Putin has a bad trip and fall. World markets will take some time to re-normalize, and present embargoes will take some political pressure to cancel, but it will happen. Profit always beats principles and loyalty, in geopolitical matters.

I hope the costs come down, but something feels different this time. I finally took leap of faith and bought an EV [Ioniq 5 AWD] and also have another gas vehicle as a backup. Either way, personally its a win win for me, from vehicles and woodinsert perspective. By my calculations the woodinsert will pay for itself in under 2.5 years for me.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I hope the costs come down, but something feels different this time. I finally took leap of faith and bought an EV [Ioniq 5 AWD] and also have another gas vehicle as a backup. Either way, personally its a win win for me, from vehicles and woodinsert perspective. By my calculations the woodinsert will pay for itself in under 2.5 years for me.
Yes, in the right circumstance wood heat can save a lot, especially if the wood is free.
Way to go on the Ioniq5. They are hard to find and dealers want a 20% premium above list price locally.