BIGChrisNH Posted By BIGChrisNH, Jul 8, 2019 at 2:20 PM

1. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Just curious how many of you can really build up a good supply. It's good to be several years ahead, and it has taken me several years to get there. I have 1.25 acres, and I currently have approximately 16 cords neatly stacked and covered, 4 of which are marked for this coming year, 4 for the year after that, and so on. The 4 for this coming winter are 2 years old. My stacks serve two purposes, seasoning as well as privacy fences as they are all 5 feet high (approximately).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Eureka, Slocum and lsucet like this.
  2. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I usually try to keep 30 cords split and stacked, and at least another few (3 - 6 cords) of logs or rounds ready to be split. However, we have had record high rainfall the last two years, making it all but impossible to work on my wood lot without making a serious mess, so I’m down to maybe 16 cords split and stacked right now. Working on building that back up.

I am on a larger (4 acre) lot in a lower-density suburban (>1000 persons/mi2) area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    When I got out of Wood Burning (Went Pellet May 2018) I had 10 cords stacked and ready to go. Have about 1 cord drying from trees that came down in Fall/Winter/Spring. Going to be a groan to make them into little pellets.

4. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    On my mostly treeless suburban lot, I have just more than enough fuel for two years of full time burning. 10-11 cords in a shed. That's about all I want to keep on hand. I am starting to believe that wood can be too dry.

Attached Files:

5. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    i am a .5 acre lot, with roughly 10 cord CSS. I have another couple scattered around that I need to get around to splitting. Hopefully soon! We burn through roughly 3 per year.

6. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    10 cords on a half acre is pretty good!

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Hey Highbeam, do you stack into that shed right off the splitter, or are you stacking in open rows and then moving (again) to the shed after it’s already dry?

8. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Good question. I split and throw into a pile and then load it into the shed. All within a few days so the wood going into the shed is relatively unseasoned.

If I can guess what you're thinking, it's that the wood in the shed won't be able to dry as quickly as if it were spread out in the open one layer thick on asphalt in the sun and wind. I think you're right but I also will leave this wood in the shed for double the normal drying time.

I sure hope it dries enough. I have as much ventilation built into the shed as possible. There are a few inches between rows and of course plenty of ventilation on top with a generous overhang.

Oh and in the photo, the first row is well seasoned wood used to top off the shed. I wanted the greenest wood to be in the back so I had to pull this wood out and start filling with green.

I have a couple of moisture meters to check this winter. It's my second winter working out of a shed. The top covering does not work well enough in my rainy climate.

Lone_Gun and Ashful like this.
  9. kvesi122

kvesi122
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Worcester County Mass
    I have about 12 cords cut and split, 5 of which are stacked in two rows on pallets between trees. Still working in the back of the lot on some trees down on the neighbors lot (with permission). 1.6 acres.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Foothills of The Adirondacks
    We have 142 acres so we have 50 - 52 face cord up but I'm hoping for another 10-12 face cord before the first snow hits.

EAB is in our county so this spring I felled 10 or 11 ash with more coming down this fall.

For our shoulder season wood, we have just under 12 face cord stacked, so we have a total of 62-64 up.

11. coutufr

coutufr
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 16, 2017
    Loc:
    Montréal
    6000 sqf suburban lot and 7 cords stacked and covered

12. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Is that somewhere between a rick and a bush cord?

HisTreeNut, Highbeam and thewoodlands like this.
  13. Molsonc1

Molsonc1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Canada
    I'm on 2 acres and I started building my pile of wood last year. Just over 7 cords right now. I get my Pacific energy fp25 installed in September ::))

BIGChrisNH and thewoodlands like this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Foothills of The Adirondacks
    It's a rick, our splits should be around 16 inches long or just under.

Ashful likes this.
  15. Rob711

Rob711
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    About 8 cords on .5 acre. Probably half cord waiting to split. All oak and maple

16. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    About 4 cord CSS on 1/3 acre. Need more wood.

17. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Wow, that much land is fantastic. You would never see a lot that size up here

18. EODMSgt

EODMSgt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2018
    Loc:
    White Mountain Region, NH
    About 8 cord (so far) on 5 acres. All hardwood. The average used was around 4 cord until last winter when I used close to 8. Hope to have between 12-16 CSS by the time the snow flies.

19. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    That’s a good supply. I love knowing we can burn as much as we want to over the next couple years

20. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Rochester NY
    I have 10 or 11 cords split/stacked on my 3/4 acre suburban lot which is about 3 years worth for us.

21. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    I am an acre cleared... im sitting on 14 cords CSS as well as 4 cord in log lenth ready to be cut up as soon i have a wood shed ready to be filled.. ill be on the hunt for more wood this winter... log lenth

22. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    Right now its a bit overgrown, but we also sort of use it as a fence line
    NeNeXUa6f6uIp-4DWzBbT4oBHHeUw2OoAO-BlZIzn8xDwF_du68UPWbHEBBLljv2_EL-p484xTCKX0n8nfl=w796-h210-no.jpg

23. Bushels20

Bushels20
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Central OH
    We are on a .5 acre wooded lot in the suburbs. 2 years worth c/s/s. 8 cords. 4 cords a year. I make an “L” with it to create an area where I can cut and split and keep it all contained given I am in a neighborhood.

24. BIGChrisNH

BIGChrisNH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2015
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    We all do what we can don’t we? That much on .5 is pretty darn good. Some of my neighbors have walked by and jokingly/not jokingly said “you got enough wood?” My response has been “not yet”.

25. steve62

steve62
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern B.C. Canada
    I have 300 acres, no firewood cut yet. But lots of dead standing pine, easy to cut and split a couple cords a day. I was just reading this thread thinking I better get started lol.