How Many Cords On Your Property?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Headed out to split for the first time this year, it’s been too warm and wet since New Years to use any equipment in my wood processing area. Will have to get a count on what’s there, but I expect I’m down to about 12 cords CSS’d and another 6-8 cords as logs. Also have another 10+ cords of logs off site, that I just haven’t gotten to move, yet.

This is the lowest I’ve been on wood in several years, the last two years of weather here have made it nearly impossible to split and stack fresh wood.

edit: Just counted. 15 quarts cut and stacked.

Last edited:
Roughly 10 cord css. Working on getting a couple years ahead. Every weekend i add half a cord.

I have about an acre of land and about 10 cord stacked and 2-3 cord I need to split. I have about another 6-8 cord I need to buck/split and move to my property that friends & neighbors are holding for me.

Just curious how many of you can really build up a good supply. It's good to be several years ahead, and it has taken me several years to get there. I have 1.25 acres, and I currently have approximately 16 cords neatly stacked and covered, 4 of which are marked for this coming year, 4 for the year after that, and so on. The 4 for this coming winter are 2 years old. My stacks serve two purposes, seasoning as well as privacy fences as they are all 5 feet high (approximately).
At least 15 cords stacked under cover and ready,another 12 on ground in logs that needs cutting,ten acres who knows,and at least 30 cords of oak at another location that needs splitting at some point.

Every weekend i add half a cord.
That's the way to do it. I wish I could, access to my wood splitting and stacking area has become very weather-dependent, in the last few years.

I did put up a fresh 2 cords this weekend, 60% mixed red and white oak, 30% ash, 10% walnut... but that's the first wood I've split since Jan.1.

That's the way to do it. I wish I could, access to my wood splitting and stacking area has become very weather-dependent, in the last few years.

I did put up a fresh 2 cords this weekend, 60% mixed red and white oak, 30% ash, 10% walnut... but that's the first wood I've split since Jan.1.
Just got some new cuttin' grounds this winter. Not far from my place. Has trails so its easy to drive in, cut, load, and take home to split and stack.

I have a little over a hundred acres. Probably about 80 of it is timber. I have around 13 cord css.....I normally burn around 3 cord a year....right at two so far this year though.... so 4 years worth. I have two big red oaks from straight line winds i limbed early fall that i need to buck up. I been busy building fence all winter but i will get to those shortly. They should make around 3 cord themselves at least. I never cut live trees.

I have some where between 10-15 cords split and stacked with about that same amount in log form ready to be cut and split. I burn 4-6 cords a year to my best guess so I try and a stay two to three years ahead. Never enough in my opinion, and always looking to get more.

With the mild winter we've had there's been lots of opportunities to get out in the woods. I've got a good start on this years wood supply. Five cords for me and the rest to sell. Primarily a mix of Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir with occasional White Oak. In this climate if it is stacked in single rows to dry by Memorial Day it's ready to burn by October.

IMG_1773.JPG

Without doing the math again I would say that I have about 10 cord left on the property right now, thats down from 18 at the start of the heating season. I've supplied wood for 2 of my neighbors who are both part time burners. About 5 went up my chimney and the other 3 went to the neighbors.

WOW, some of you guys stock up tons of wood. I burn mostly oak, walnut, some ash. and I only keep that winters worth on hand. (no more than 4 cords) I girdle the trees I want in the fall, cut/stack them in the late spring, and burn them that winter. I usually go through 3-3.5 cords a year, and use wood as the sole heat for out 2500sqft ranch. I find that anything older than 1.5yr burns to fast for me.

Just started my piles a few months ago, started out as just limb clean up. I am now up to 2.5-3 cords my goal is a half cord per weekend for the next few weeks while we are maintaining distances...

Reactions: Gearhead660
I wonder if that has to do with a Cat vs Non Cat stove. I am burning 5 year old wood and it burns 12+ hours between reloads.
Not sure, my stove is non-cat. at the coldest time of the year, I do a full load at 8pm, a half load @ 5:30 am (there is still a real big coal bed), and the wife will throw a log or two on around 2 or 3 pm. it keeps the main living area around 72-75 and the bedrooms around 70 deg. all day all night.

I have racks for roughly 16cords, currently about 4-5 cords are empty from this past winter. I've been picking away at my backlog of rounds by hand for exercise, so far have refilled a cord and a half this way.