How Many Cords On Your Property?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Question: not a criticism. I just tarped all of my stacks (for the first time) this weekend. I used to leave them uncovered. In total I tarped all 8-9 cords.

I ran my tarps down the edges of the stacks about the same length that you have here. Does that work for you? Doesn’t interfere with the drying/seasoning process?

I know some guys simply top cover with metal. I don’t have any metal laying around however.

Conventional wisdom, passed to me from forum members of old, is to leave uncovered in summer and cover in fall for winter. Not sure it’s been proven scientifically, but there is a lot of years of experience behind it. It’s what I’ve been doing, since joining here.

And yes, rigid covering is best, but if uncovering for summer, you should be fine either way.

Conventional wisdom, passed to me from forum members of old, is to leave uncovered in summer and cover in fall for winter. Not sure it’s been proven scientifically, but there is a lot of years of experience behind it. It’s what I’ve been doing, since joining here.

And yes, rigid covering is best, but if uncovering for summer, you should be fine either way.

Maybe I will rethink the tarps and put them back on right before the weather changes. Thanks.

Reactions: Ashful
Maybe I will rethink the tarps and put them back on right before the weather changes. Thanks.

If you can hold the plastic up off the wood, a’la solar kiln, then there’s no reason to remove it. It’s only an issue if it’s installed in a way that inhibits moisture escape, but that’s often the case.

You may want to check some of the posts on solar kilns, if you’re interested. Members @Poindexter and @Woodsplitter67 have lead a few of these.

Reactions: Bushels20
Last year I started putting my wood into 330 gallon metal totes. We have a walk out basement so I can take the tote and drop it into my basement with the tractor. A lot less wood handling. Currently I have 12 totes full of wood. That comes out to roughly 4 cords of wood. We only burn about 2 cords a year so that should always keep me 2 years ahead.

Last year I didn't put any plastic on them until August. Due to all of the rain we had last year some of the wood was still wet when it came time to burn it. I put plastic on 6 totes this past weekend. Hopefully the wood will be drier this year.

wood_zpsr7peoacj.jpg

wood2_zpsosjd9gou.jpg

IMG_3667_zpsseij2dgl.jpg

Reactions: Bushels20
If you can hold the plastic up off the wood, a’la solar kiln, then there’s no reason to remove it. It’s only an issue if it’s installed in a way that inhibits moisture escape, but that’s often the case.

You may want to check some of the posts on solar kilns, if you’re interested. Members @Poindexter and @Woodsplitter67 have lead a few of these.

I’ve read about these on here. Always seems like way too much work for me given I am not in a pinch to get my wood dried/I have plenty c/s/s’d.

I will just uncover until September/October.

Last year I started putting my wood into 330 gallon metal totes. We have a walk out basement so I can take the tote and drop it into my basement with the tractor. A lot less wood handling. Currently I have 12 totes full of wood. That comes out to roughly 4 cords of wood. We only burn about 2 cords a year so that should always keep me 2 years ahead.

Last year I didn't put any plastic on them until August. Due to all of the rain we had last year some of the wood was still wet when it came time to burn it. I put plastic on 6 totes this past weekend. Hopefully the wood will be drier this year.

View attachment 245756

View attachment 245757

View attachment 245758

How convenient. Jealous.

View attachment 245756

View attachment 245757

View attachment 245758

I am so jealous of the IBC totes. Back when there was still ice and snow on everything I built some totes out of pallets. I probably won't use them much once I empty them, they don't hold up well like the IBC totes.

If you have the plastic inserts for the IBC cages then you can cut them diagonally and they make perfect pyramid lids to keep the rain out. (two lids from each plastic tank)

If you have the plastic inserts for the IBC cages then you can cut them diagonally and they make perfect pyramid lids to keep the rain out. (two lids from each plastic tank)
Great idea. Unfortunately the totes I'm buying had mulch dye in them so they are usually pretty nasty when I get them. Next time I get a load of totes maybe I'll be a little more picky and try to get totes that don't have a lot of dye left in them. I'm probably going to get 6 more totes late this summer and call it good.

The mulch dye that was in the totes is some pretty nasty stuff. I accidentally poured some out in my dirt pile 9 months ago and it is still there.

What do you do about mice, @sloeffle? Dormant queen wasps and stink bugs? I’d be bringing a lot of undesirable nature into my basement, if I used your system.

What do you do about mice, @sloeffle? Dormant queen wasps and stink bugs? I’d be bringing a lot of undesirable nature into my basement, if I used your system.
I only have one year of bringing my wood into my house with this system under my belt. Last year, I didn't have any issues with mice, wasps or stink bugs. I didn't really notice more bugs in the basement than normal last year. My bet is the mice jump off of the tote when I start moving it with the tractor. ;) IMHO - touching a piece of wood one time after it is split to get it into the house outweighs touching it 4 or 5 times to get it into my house after it is split.

Last edited:
Yes I have had no issues with rot plus a lot of my wood is locust. I have been adding some maple to the stacks lately so I will keep a eye on them for rot. But I have never had really any problem with wood turning. I think if you keep it off the ground that should be good but I have never had this much either. So we shall see.

I tried not covering and after the 3d year I started to get a fungus filled soggy bunch of wood.

I don't have much locust which is pretty rot-proof and my stacks are on the edge of the woods with little sun or wind filled drying space.

I have to top cover mine, too much rain, leaves, pine needles and stuff would get crammed in there, stay wet and keep the wood wet and make it punky.

Reactions: Dug8498
I am in the process of stocking up my wood supply. I also have gotten permission from my wife to make another bay for wood in my current set up, giving me 5 bays for wood (Yard space is precious so that is huge...).
According to the cord calculator in the forum, each bay will have about 3.5 cord each. So, 3.5 cord*5 bays equals about 17.5 cord of wood total. Tickled about that.
I do top cover come July-August because in August the new semester starts and scrounging slows down...and it helps the top layers to dry out before winter, keeps the pine needles & leaves to a minimum. Anyhoo...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
We are only on 2 acres, but I have access tio many more abutting up to our two.

As far as wood, here's my spreadsheet I use to keep track.

Wood.jpg

Attachments

• Wood.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 265
How long have you been stock piling? You are set up for a boiler!
Started cutting some Honey Locust in Oct. of 17. I have sold about 6 cord since then. 3 cord of what’s here is supposed to go to my son-in-law’s father. I have burned all the uglies & nasties in the fire pit, probably a couple of cord of them. I got tired of messing with them & the nieces & nephews enjoy a good fire.