How Many Cords On Your Property?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We are only on 2 acres, but I have access tio many more abutting up to our two.

As far as wood, here's my spreadsheet I use to keep track.

View attachment 245924
Nice organization on this spreadsheet, but I can’t quite get a grip on it. Does it say at the end that you’ve got 59 cords??

Nice organization on this spreadsheet, but I can’t quite get a grip on it. Does it say at the end that you’ve got 59 cords??

yep. It was something I just created quickly and I could definitely improve upon the readability of it. ;lol I never intended to share it, so as long as I knew what all the numbers meant it was good for me. :)

how do you fit 59 cords of wood on two acres of land? I can’t imagine what that must look like

Reactions: Lone_Gun
how do you fit 59 cords of wood on two acres of land? I can’t imagine what that must look like

Looking at my spreadsheet again, it's actually a bit over 60 full cord stacked. 57 of hardwoods and 3 of soft.

Easy peasy. 60 cord stacked ~5.5' tall only covers an area of ~1,400SF. Two acres are 87,120SF. So it's only taking up ~1.6% of the 2 acre area. Seeing I'm leaving gaps between the stacks, I'm taking up a bit more of a footprint than that though.

Here's a video taken from Feb of '19 before I split/stacked this past winters haul. Turned out there was 7.75 cord in that pile after I split/stacked it, so what you see stacked is ~52 cord.

The video was taken from the deck of the house with a GoPro, so it has fisheye distortion.

*EDIT* The pile of unsplit wood shown in the video probably is NOT 7.75 cord, as I am pretty sure I added to it after this video was taken in Feb.

Last edited:
On my mostly treeless suburban lot, I have just more than enough fuel for two years of full time burning. 10-11 cords in a shed. That's about all I want to keep on hand. I am starting to believe that wood can be too dry.

That’s an awesome shed/stack.

Of my 4 acres, I only have 5 cord stacked :(

I need a utility trailer for the Jeep. I won’t bother scrounging until I can carry a cord back home.

18 acres +/- depending on which town records you access.

I've had as much as 10 cords of oak ready to go
but really slacked off with back woes last year and the year before.
Down to one cord of well seasoned oak, three cords of red maple and a cord of split white pine.
Have a lot of red and white oak sitting in rounds and logs that need processing but very little of it will be well enough seasoned to use this year.

I've been 4 or 5 years ahead and I guess right now I'm down to 2. Except for the pine. I have one cord split, One cord in rounds, several logs and a few dozen down and leaning pine trees that I get to when I'm bored or have nothing better to do.

Also using up the wood stored in one area as there are 3 big pines and two oaks that need to come down and of course they need to come down right where the wood is/has been stacked.
Attrition can be a slow process.

Last edited:
7.75 cord

I love it when people calculate down to the 1/100th of a cord. Anymore, I’m happy if I can guess my stash to within +/- 5 cords, between the CSS’d and unsplit.

I brought home another half dozen cords last week, same as the week before. This weekend I’ll probably bring home another 3-5 cords, depending on weather. If I keep this pace up for another few weeks, I’ll be able to keep a firewood processor busy for a few days splitting it all... or I’ll be spending a LOT of days at the hydraulic splitter this winter.

I love it when people calculate down to the 1/100th of a cord. Anymore, I’m happy if I can guess my stash to within +/- 5 cords, between the CSS’d and unsplit.

Just pick up one of these new age tools:

stanley-tape-measures-33-735-64_1000.jpg

Then input the numbers into this magical program:

1271694-565817-34.jpg

and you too can do the same. You can even change the significant digits it displays, if you don't like it displaying the results to the hundredths. :p ;lol

As far as the unsplit pile......again get out the trusty tape measure and use the volume of a spherical cap formula in Excel to calculate the volume of a spherical cap. :) It will get you in the ballpark, at least in my experience anyway.

15-20 cord
At 4.5/yr, 3 to 4yrs ahead.
Stacked on the ground on locust poles, not covered, with t-posts on the ends. Usually at the end of August next winters supply comes inside. And usually, fingers crossed, July and August are bone dry drought conditions. This year I put some tar paper over what will be coming inside. It's all out in the open, with the sun and wind working in favor.

Just pick up one of these new age tools... Then input the numbers into this magical program:

Oh, I understand how you did it. But I also understand significant digits, and your accuracy does not support that precision.

But my comment was more about whether 1/100th of a cord precision is useful. It amounts to a few hours of burn time, at a usage rate of 5 - 6 hundredths of a cord per day. One doesn’t usually need to predict what time of day they will run out of wood, on a 3-year plan. [emoji14]

Oh, I understand how you did it. But I also understand significant digits, and your accuracy does not support that precision.

But my comment was more about whether 1/100th of a cord precision is useful. It amounts to a few hours of burn time, at a usage rate of 5 - 6 hundredths of a cord per day. One doesn’t usually need to predict what time of day they will run out of wood, on a 3-year plan. [emoji14]
It could be like years ago - figure a whole bunch of stuff with a slide rule, out to 3 or 4 digits, add and work them around, then apply a safety factor of 2 maybe 3 to the whole works.

Or use one of these - good to 15 digits, state of the art before digital:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful

Sarcasm doesn't come over too well on the forums. My tongue was firmly planted in cheek in response to what I was sensing as you being sarcastic. Of course I realize when I'm sometimes rounding to the nearest foot when measuring my results will not be remotely accurate to the hundredth. It's just how the spreadsheet was setup; not knowing it would cause some people to be offended by it. Next time I post something like this I will make sure to change the precision on it so I don't raise the blood pressure of some of you. ;lol :p

I think you looked a bit too far into the number. LOL I simply made that spreadsheet to keep track of things, not to precisely measure what I have. Besides, what I measure right after splitting will not be the same 3 years later anyway, due to shrinkage.

Reactions: sloeffle
Sarcasm doesn't come over too well on the forums... Next time I post something like this I will make sure to change the precision on it so I don't raise the blood pressure of some of you. ;lol :p
No blood pressure was raised. It's all good. I appreciate the sarcasm, I was just poking fun, too. In fact, I was just gearing up to start measuring my firewood in milligrams.

Some of us are just getting grumpy because we haven’t been able to light the stove since March.

Others like myself were more fortunate. We didn’t have to shut down until May...

Reactions: Sawset and Lone_Gun
No blood pressure was raised. It's all good. I appreciate the sarcasm, I was just poking fun, too. In fact, I was just gearing up to start measuring my firewood in milligrams.
Why in the world would you want the weight of your wood in Grams ? ;)
You number would be astronomical !!! do it on a sunny day rain would really add up ;lol
Now on the lighter side of the NEWS ::P

As a gaschromatographer, I think in nano grams and pico grams. Just calculated what I have. Tried to type it in a message. Keyboard exploded, too many digits. Off to Best Buy for a new keyboard.

Reactions: Sawset
I have a googleplex googleplex atoms of wood...plus or minus a few google atoms.
[emoji6][emoji16][emoji16][emoji6]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I think we are only two posts away from invoking Avogadro’s number.

Reactions: Sawset
I think we are only two posts away from invoking Avogadro’s number.

lmao....I was just going to do that last night while out to eat but was irritating my other half being on my phone. I was actually refreshing my memory on it as I haven't dealt with mols or Avogadro's number since the late 80's, early 90's.

Funny you mention it.

Reactions: Ashful
I went back to school for some advanced degrees later in life. Having to re-learn all that chit a second time in your 30’s has a way of making it stick in your memory. 6.022E+23.