How Many Have 2 Or More Stoves Going Today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
NATE379 said:
You guys must have big old farm houses to have to run 2 stoves when it's only ~15* out! My one stove has no trouble keeping the house cozy even at -20*.

I could easily heat my main floor with 1 stove but the finished basement would be too cold. With 2 stoves I can get a much more even heat throughout the whole house.

In order to heat the whole house from the basement I have to burn hot or have an oversized stove which makes the basement uncomfortable.

We tried heating our whole house with a coal stove in the basement for 6 years. Even with cold air return vents and fans, the living room was rarely above 68 despite temperatures in the 80's in the basement. Last winter, we installed a wood stove in our living room. This fall, we replaced our coal stove with another wood stove. Now we have as much or as little heat right where we want it without wasting a lot of heat. We love it!

Having more than one stove is a nice feature to have. I have 3 zones, one pellet stove, a smoke dragon for when it is below zero and the main fireview. I am considering replacing the dragon with a cat stove.

My great uncle had made a woodstove my cousins farm house though, interesting design he bricked around the stove except for the loading door and then had a blower funnel which lead up through the floor grates, heated that old four square very nice. Had a huge amount of thermal mass.

Fired up both the Jotul 550 and the Hearthstone Shelburne. Temps mid teens with 30+mph winds. Our house is drafty so the wind makes a bigger difference.

Unfortunately even both were not up to the task. I envy you guys that can even burn just one stove and have nicely heated house. Our house is big but not really huge, around 2400 sqft I think. It is partly due to my woodstack not being as dry as it could, plus the wife maintaining the stoves in the morning, but when I got up around noon (working nightshift) the thermometer on the hearth around the corner 6' from the Rockland was at 60º. Kitchen about 56-58º, upstairs same as kitchen. Room with the Shelburn about 68º.

After about 5 hours of burning the stoves hard, Rockland in the 600's and Shelburn in the 500's, I got the thermometer up to about 63º. Still friggin cold in the upstairs, kitchen, laundry room etc.

This house is just not designed well for wood heat, even with two stoves. But I think I did pick the wrong style stoves for the rooms.

Yep, 2 stove week-end, but I'm totally fine with that.

Put another log on the fire and see if I can get Mama to ....make breakfast. Whadya think I was gonna say?!

I'm almost always have both stoves running this time of year. At 20 deg F this morning, the TLC-2000 is cranking down in the basement and the Accentra upstairs is idled back, just keeping it around 70. I'll be lighting the third stove, in the garage, to knock the chill out of there so I can clean up. I have one more chimney left in the house, at the opposite side of the coal stove. Still haven't figured out what to put in there. I'm thinking a Quadrafire for quick heatup and maximum heat output.

Two stoves burning here tonight. Forecast low tonight here in RI is 11F. Our house is a standard 2-story colonial with an open foyer. The Jotul Oslo F500 is in the living room and it keeps the main part of the house and the upstairs bedrooms nice and toasty.

Attached off one end of the house is a large, cathedral ceiling family room (where now we are watching Bledsoe beat up on Tebow). In the far corner of this room is a Jotul F100.

The Oslo in the main part of the house has been running 24/7 since early December, and the F100 is used as needed. Back in November with mild temps the little F100 worked like a charm keeping the whole house comfortable all by itself.

Terry

We are now in "ultimate" mode :)

stoveguy2esw said:
just 1 today but i expect i'll have 8 or 10 runing tomorrow (playing with fire in my lab :cheese:

How about some pictures?

Have two going, with outside air of 22 and the never ending wind. 'Sposed to go to 9 tonite. Both stoves set at feed of 3 air at 4....And we are warm! This weeks forecast is for the colder air to depart.

The Quad 5700 is going along with my Esse wood cook stove. Keeps the old farm house cozy. 0 degrees here this morning. 5 degrees outside, Quad end of house is 74 and the Esse end is 76.

Status
Not open for further replies.