How many people beat their stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Everybody used stove pipe. But only until we go thru a ceiling or wall. Then it has to be class A

My Grandfather ran 5” single wall too, and had the creosote issues one would expect. I remember having a chimney fire growing up. The world has moved on and there are better tools available. Think of it like tempered windshields in cars… and seat belts. Or cruise control!

Mine goes thru fireboard ( stove board ), double wall. The board is only warm at the most, a little more under the pipe. Do I think my set up is great? No. But im as safe as I can be.

Ok...I looked up some of the pieces for a chimney. $400 for a T? $400 to 600 for pipe, no clue what kit I would need, but there another 400 at least. Im looking at 1500 easy. Cant swing that.

MOD Edit: knob and tube discussion move to:

Last edited by a moderator: