How many times (on average) do you have to handle your firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How Many times do you need to handle/move your firewood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I voted 1-3 but was just thinking of major moves. Really it is:
buck and stack rounds or toss in truck if logs weren't dropped off
unload and stack rounds if they are off site
split and toss
load in wagon and take to back yard
stack
2 years later, load in wagon and take 2 days worth to house
stack in house
put into stove
remove ash

So, 8 or 9. We are crazy!

But, the Fireview is putting off some great heat tonight!

This has bugged me since I stopped buying c/s firewood. It seems like I spend more time moving/cutting/splitrting/stacking wood than I do burning it!

1) Load it on my trailer
2) Unload it
3) Cut into rounds
4) Stack
5) Bring to indoor storage (for the weeks supply)
6) Load the stove

Am I alone or is this common?

I am up for suggestions on processing.

I just pile it!

I too am right around that figure, except I do not bring it in and store it in the house. I bring it in and toss it into the stove.

Not that I really mind handling my wood...

Way too much, I'm probably in the 3-6 but closer to 6 maybe more depending on the load and what I feel like doing when I'm splitting. One more step if I heap before stacking. Looking at it on paper is depressing! Now that I have a good amount stacked I hope to just heap it up moving forward.

1 - Pile to stack
2 - Stack to wood rack on front cover porch.
3 - Rack to Stove

Werm said:
This has bugged me since I stopped buying c/s firewood. It seems like I spend more time moving/cutting/splitrting/stacking wood than I do burning it!

1) Load it on my trailer
2) Unload it
3) Cut into rounds
4) Stack
5) Bring to indoor storage (for the weeks supply)
6) Load the stove

Am I alone or is this common?

I am up for suggestions on processing.

1. Throw it from my log pile.
2. Pick up the round - stack it (skip 3) or split it (step 3).
3. Throw the split piece from the splitting block, towards the pile.
4. Stack it (usually one of my kids does this step).
...Wait one year....
5. Throw it onto my trailer.
6. Throw it into the basement woodroom.
7. Stack it in the basement woodroom.
8. Throw it into the boiler.
9. Take out the ashes.

To be fair, the kids do a lot of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and sometimes 8.

during.jpg

Happy burning!

I know we do too much but we just look at it as good exercise.

1. I cut the wood and load it onto the trailer.
2. Remove from trailer and place in splitting pile.
3. Split
4. Stack
5. Move to porch.
6. Move to stove.

Then there is also the removing of ashes and then spreading them on the garden plot.
Also the cleaning of the chimney and taking any soot and putting with the ashes.

I do feel one of the biggest benefits of wood burning is the exercise one gets from the wood handling. It is normally done in the winter and spring and that is a time when many are looking for exercise to get rid of the fat that has settled unto the body over the fall and early winter; especially the Holidays. How does one place a value on this? There certainly are no monthly fees, you can do it any time you wish and you are in the great outdoors getting fresh air.

Polls like this will simply reinforce the belief that we're all crazy....especially with the current low fuel prices! ha.

I'm 6 or 7 times depending on how you look at it. And shoot, if I include ash cleanout I'm probably 8 or 9!

I'm sometimes...maybe once....jealous of my brother in law with is OWB. He cuts, loads trailer, unloads trailer right next to OWB. For probably 50% or more of his wood consumption this is it before burning - throw it in the fire on move number four (4). The size splits he burns are mind boggling. If it's not 8-10" or more in diameter he doesn't touch it again. His splitter barely gets used...

stee6043, I recall when we got married and in a couple of years the price of fuel oil went up to $.16 per gallon! Wow! We gotta go back to burning wood because this is a ridiculous price to pay for oil!

So, what was that you were saying about low cost fuel? Naw. We'll keep on burning wood even if the price of oil drops to 50% of what it is now. No problem. I like wood heat.

cut into rounds - toss rounds from log pile
lift rounds onto splitter a few times
toss into a pile
load wagon and move to stacking area
unload wagon and stack
bring in
toss into stove
empty ash

1. Cut it in woods
2. load into truck
3. unload truck (depending on time of year...sometimes right next to stacks, in winter, staging yard)
4. split
5. stack
6. (winter to spring) load wood into truck for 100 yard trip to wood yard.
7. unload truck to stack
8. load truck to bring home after seasoning a year
9. unload truck at home into wheelbarrow
10. stack in back yard
11. bring from stack to stove

Most of my wood is worn smooth and has a name by the time it gets burned....sheeessss...what a bunch of work!

1 Buck logs into rounds
2 Pile or stack rounds
3 Split and toss
4 Stack outdoors
5 Load splits for trip to shed
6 Stack splits in shed
7 Move wood from shed to house
8 Toss in stove

Backwoods Savage said:
stee6043, I recall when we got married and in a couple of years the price of fuel oil went up to $.16 per gallon! Wow! We gotta go back to burning wood because this is a ridiculous price to pay for oil!

Indeed, but it's all relative. When fuel was $.16 per gallon the average household was probably bringing home $8,000 per year in income.

My point was more a comparison related to "recent" history, as in last year. Many of us make the same (many less) this year compared to last year. And yet the cost of fuel is half. That was more what I was trying to say...

To many...... That when I'm loading my stove I know where the wood was picked up from ....

1. Cut into rounds
2. Load rounds on trailer
3. Unload trailer at storage area
4. Split wood at storage area and throw on trailer (after drying for a few months)
5. Unload and stack trailer at home.
6. Load rubbermaid bucket and bring splits in house.
7. Load stove.

1.Turn key on loader/load deck
2.Flip switch on processor and conveyor/process
3.Drive truck to shed and stack
4.Throw wood into furnace room as needed.
5. Load furnace as needed.

Yep ,,,,,,, 5 times,,,,, mmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmm!

1) Load rounds into trailer then dump
2) Split into heap and season
3) Move to shed and stack
4) Move to stove and burn
5) Spread ashes in garden

Status
Not open for further replies.