How much moisture is too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you buy a MM yet? Checking the M/C will only confirm what your saying.

Im guessing its above 30% and maybe higher?

Some people have little to no pride left and are idiots. He sells a product that isnt what he says it is and then shorts you?

Lesson learned. :( Sometimes it sucks to learn the hard way. But it wont happen again.

Get ahead and stay ahead. Best advice I was given here. EVER. :)

Reactions: amateur cutter
Don't bother, this guy is a complete jerk to be polite! When he delivered the wood to me I measured it after I stacked it and he was 77 cu.ft short, I contacted him and he was sooo sorry and gave me an excuse that one of his trailers was smaller than the rest. Anyway, he brought me another load and apologized for shorting me. I paid $600. for 3 trailer loads and it was supposed to be 300 cu.ft. He gave me an extra 50 cu.ft so me being a nice guy offered to give him another $100. for doing that. After finding out he sold me unseasoned wood I contacted him again and said I was not going to give him the extra $100. and his wood was loaded with moisture. The guy freaks out and demands to come back here and take all his wood back and give me a refund, I replied and said no thanks, I'll keep the wood but you lost a future customer. He threatened to go to the police and have them investigate me and his wood! He just sent me an email telling me to return the extra load of wood or ay another $200. or he's going to sue me for the money plus legal fees!!! What the hell!!!?? This guy is nuts to say the least. I told him I'll never pay him the extra money and the wood is mine, he accepted payment already, he can't change his mind..... Man, I'll never use craigslist again for firewood! Too many idiotic people out there.
You should let him take his wood back and find some seasoned wood, most of these wood guys are a little off their rockers, I thought he was a decent guy but I wont recommend this idiot anymore.

You should let him take his wood back and find some seasoned wood, most of these wood guys are a little off their rockers, I thought he was a decent guy but I wont recommend this idiot anymore.

He seemed like such a nice guy too, he's trying to tell me I have 10 days to comply to his demands or he will charge me his legal fees every 10 ten days until it's resolved! I told him I paid for the wood he gave me, you can't change your mind on a price a week later or demand to take your wood back. I will never let this guy on my property again, I can't believe how he just turned into a psycho over night! He sent me an email asking how he can help me resolve this and said he didn't want to disappoint any of his customers and when I told him we were all set and I was keeping the wood his next email was he already went to the police and contacted his lawyer and they told him I had 10 days to comply and then he could sue me. I told him I added him to my junk email list and to NEVER contact me again, so I'm sure I'll see him in small claims court because he is that nuts to sue me over $100.! Oh wait, now he wants $200. and legal fees so it will be $5000. by then I'm sure......

It's people like this that screw up our legal system and basic human nature! I am a good person and try to give people the benefit of the doubt and I forgive quickly but I'm sure this will turn into a HUGE ordeal and I just don't have the time or patience to deal with irrational people, but I'm a man of principle so I will not cave to this guy either.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Under 20% is where I am on all my wood before it goes into the stove. Keep in mind, though......the further under 20% you are, the more benefit you will get out of that wood. I don't use a MM but I've burned enough over the years to pretty much know where the MC is. If that wood is sizzlin' and smolderin' real bad, you're too wet.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Did you buy a MM yet? Checking the M/C will only confirm what your saying.

Im guessing its above 30% and maybe higher?

Some people have little to no pride left and are idiots. He sells a product that isnt what he says it is and then shorts you?

Lesson learned. :( Sometimes it sucks to learn the hard way. But it wont happen again.

Get ahead and stay ahead. Best advice I was given here. EVER. :)

I'm going to get one today if they're not too expensive at homedepot, if they are I'll find one on Amazon. You're right Dexter, I've learned my lesson but I'm sure I haven't seen the last of this tool!

Under 20% is where I am on all my wood before it goes into the stove. Keep in mind, though......the further under 20% you are, the more benefit you will get out of that wood. I don't use a MM but I've burned enough over the years to pretty much know where the MC is. If that wood is sizzlin' and smolderin' real bad, you're too wet.....

Yeah that's what I thought, I'm sure a little sizzle for a couple minutes would be acceptable but that load was still sizzling after 30 minutes. It's going to be warm here for the next week so I will sort through some of the wood and pile up the stuff I can burn this year. I still have a cord and a half left over from last year, that stuff is dry but some of the wood is 22" long and won't fit in the fireview. I'll have to sift through that pile as well but it's raining here now...... :(

Yeah that's what I thought, I'm sure a little sizzle for a couple minutes would be acceptable but that load was still sizzling after 30 minutes. It's going to be warm here for the next week so I will sort through some of the wood and pile up the stuff I can burn this year. I still have a cord and a half left over from last year, that stuff is dry but some of the wood is 22" long and won't fit in the fireview. I'll have to sift through that pile as well but it's raining here now...... :(
Can you cut thr 22 inch splits down? I made a box to cut long splits down to the size I need, last year I used a chop saw biut its quicker with a chainsaw and the box I built.

IMG_4930.jpg

Reactions: dylskee
Can you cut thr 22 inch splits down? I made a box to cut long splits down to the size I need, last year I used a chop saw biut its quicker with a chainsaw and the box I built.

IMG_4930.jpg
That's an awesome idea WG! I was going to cut some down to 16" but wasn't sure how I was going to go about it, this will work perfectly.

I just walked into a scrounge offer that I will probably never see again. 2 DWS red oaks, little punchy on the outside but very clean on the inside. Came in at 18% MC when I split a test piece last night. It comes down to the numbers...

You need to get a MM. Take pics of the wood with a time stamp and date. Then take pics of the fresh splits at 39% or whatever. Will go a long way if he does take you to court!

I got mine off Ebay. It came from Hong Kong but i think i paid around $12 for it. When i say HK i just dont mean made in china, it was one of those things shippped from china!! I did not notice that till after a week when i had not come. Went and looked, was from a Hongkong seller. I have no problem with that it just takes about 2 weeks to get your stuff. All of the cheapest pricepoint stuff electronics stuff is sold from HongKong on Ebay. Its the same stuff the US sellers have but jjust $20% or more cheaper it seems. Sometimes the pictures of the product are actually the same!!

You need to get a MM. Take pics of the wood with a time stamp and date. Then take pics of the fresh splits at 39% or whatever. Will go a long way if he does take you to court!

Oh yeah, I already got an email from him this morning. He's taking me to court, this was all over 50 cu.ft extra that he gave me. I thought I would be a good guy and pay him for the extra but after putting the water logged wood in my stove I declined to give him the extra money. That's what he is going to sue me over but now he wants the full price of the load!!! And now he's going to sue me for legal fees and interest!! We never signed a contract, this is firewood here! $100. worth of firewood and this guy is freaking out! Did I mention it is firewood and not a $30,000. car or something?? Wow....... I told him to watch judge Judy for a few days so he can see how small claims court deals with people like him. In his emails he even admits he shorted me and offered the full load at no extra cost. He will be pleasantly embarrassed in the courtroom! I told him I have 6 weeks of vacation so a couple hours in court is not a problem for me, hell it will be a vacation....... :)

He's taking me to court, this was all over 50 cu.ft extra that he gave me. I thought I would be a good guy and pay him for the extra but after putting the water logged wood in my stove I declined to give him the extra money.

You have the extra wood, it doesn't matter if it's seasoned or not you should either be paying for the extra wood or giving it back if you don't want it. When you say the "extra that he gave me" was this considered "free" at the time or was there a price tied to it? If it was thought to be "free" from the beginning I'd say you're good but if you verbally offered to pay for it I think you should be paying for it or giving it back.

When you buy a product you're not happy with it doesn't give you the right to keep it since it was not a good product. You have a choice to either pay for it and keep it or give the worthless product back.

I really think both sides sound crazy to be taking it this far. ;lol

You have the extra wood, it doesn't matter if it's seasoned or not you should either be paying for the extra wood or giving it back if you don't want it. When you say the "extra that he gave me" was this considered "free" at the time or was there a price tied to it? If it was thought to be "free" from the beginning I'd say you're good but if you verbally offered to pay for it I think you should be paying for it or giving it back.

When you buy a product you're not happy with it doesn't give you the right to keep it since it was not a good product. You have a choice to either pay for it and keep it or give the worthless product back.

I really think both sides sound crazy to be taking it this far. ;lol
You didn't understand me, I paid for 300 cu.ft. he brought me 223 cu.ft, when I asked him to come over and measure it himself he said no need he knows why it came up short. And told me the trailer he used is buldged in the center and he didn't stack it tight enough and just went on and on. He told me he would bring me another trailer load and keep the extra for bearing with me. I said, no problem.... I then told him I would give him a $100. for the trailer load because I really only needed half to get to the 300 cu.ft. he said "cool thanks." I didn't owe him anything at this point. This has nothing to do with returning the wood because I don't like it, I told him the wood was real wet and I'm keeping the extra hundred that's when he freaked out. I paid good money for DRY SEASONED wood and didn't get it. He wanted me to drag ALL the wood 400 feet from my shed to the driveway so he could take it back, that's not reasonable and I'm keeping it. And after measuring it today it measures 307.84 cu.ft so I owe him $15.68 if anything.....

You didn't understand me, I paid for 300 cu.ft. he brought me 223 cu.ft, when I asked him to come over and measure it himself he said no need he knows why it came up short. And told me the trailer he used is buldged in the center and he didn't stack it tight enough and just went on and on. He told me he would bring me another trailer load and keep the extra for bearing with me. I said, no problem.... I then told him I would give him a $100. for the trailer load because I really only needed half to get to the 300 cu.ft. he said "cool thanks." I didn't owe him anything at this point. This has nothing to do with returning the wood because I don't like it, I told him the wood was real wet and I'm keeping the extra hundred that's when he freaked out. I paid good money for DRY SEASONED wood and didn't get it. He wanted me to drag ALL the wood 400 feet from my shed to the driveway so he could take it back, that's not reasonable and I'm keeping it. And after measuring it today it measures 307.84 cu.ft so I owe him $15.68 if anything.....

I understand it, I'm of the believe if you verbally said you'd give him an extra 100 you should be giving it to him. I assume you seen the wood before promising/offering the extra 100 bucks. You gave him your word then took it back after realizing the wood isn't seasoned. Buying seasoned wood doesn't exist, we've read it countless times on this site.

I'm not defending what the guy is doing or did, I like to play the devils advocate. There is always two sides to every story.

dylskee, I doubt if this will even go to court. He is just trying to rattle your chain and hoping for some more dollars.

Reactions: Treacherous
If you haven't already, I would take a picture or print a copy of his CL add advertising "dry" or "seasoned" wood.

I haven't bought wood from a dealer for many years now. The last time I did something similar to this story affected me too. I'd say before any loads are ever dropped the consumer should have the driver check the MC in front of them along with the sq ft of wood to be purchased. That way he can avoid any headaches

If you haven't already, I would take a picture or print a copy of his CL add advertising "dry" or "seasoned" wood.

The problem is most states haven't defined what "seasoned" wood is. From what I've read posted I've seen 9 months since cut while one other I read about on here actually had a m/c defined but it was in the 30's to be considered seasoned. I'm not sure what MA has so that may be worth checking into, I wouldn't count on much though.

Edit: I found this here. http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/dont-get-burned-on-firewood-sales.html

"Purchase fully seasoned firewood or split your firewood at least six months before use. Keep it off the ground and covered with plastic, allowing air to circulate freely."

Even the state web-site doesn't know what seasoned wood is, it'll be hard to argue it in court.

Here is some other stuff from the site.

"Make sure that you get what you paid for:
Get a receipt. If the firewood is sold and delivered to your house, the seller of the firewood
is required to provide a receipt including the seller’s contact information, sale date,
type and quantity of wood purchased, and the purchase price.
Stack the wood and measure it before using any. Determine the quantity by multiplying
the length, width, and height. You will be able to calculate the total volume of the firewood
stacks and compare that to what was represented to you on the invoice issued by the
firewood seller.
If you feel you have been shorted, contact the seller to correct the problem. If the
problem cannot be resolved, don’t burn any of the wood and contact your local weights and
measures office or the Massachusetts Division of Standards (DOS) at 617-727-3480. To find
out more about fuel oil or firewood regulations, visit www.mass.gov/dos."

Wow - sorry to hear about all of this mess. Most people who sell wood call it seasoned but it's not. Makes me glad I cut my own - no one to blame but myself.

Reactions: amateur cutter
Status
Not open for further replies.