how much overhang

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i will be building two more sheds soon. planning to use a roofline and 4/12 pitch to mirror my house (house is 2 stories at the location of the shed). shed will fasten to the house. heights of the shed are shown below. i'm planning to stack on pallets and two rows deep to save yard space.

i'd like to use just a single sheet-width of plywood for the roof (4ft) to save on material/hassle. i'm curious if at the 9ft tall portion of the shed if 16" is enough overhang to protect the wood in the winter rains. this will be on the north side of the house with a north exposure. should be pretty protected (we're in suburbs). but, i'd hate to short the width of the roof by a foot and have continually splashed wood all winter long. my sheds will be a storage and use-it shed --- no re-moving wood to a different location prior to burning.

thanks
shed.png

I think 16 inch overhang is fine. Have you seen the rain spray louvers, instead of gutters. They might help with the splash.

How wide is the overhang on your house on the north end? When you get the north rains, how wet is the siding "x" amount of feet down from the overhang? Build accordingly.

How wide is the overhang on your house on the north end? When you get the north rains, how wet is the siding "x" amount of feet down from the overhang? Build accordingly.
problem is i never paid attn to the north side since i had planned for the shed to be elsewhere. wife had different plans.

overhang on the house is 12" i think.

I would match the house for aesthetics. I just finished a woodshed and chose 18" overhangs on the back three sides and 24" out front. It looks "to scale".

Most rain is nearly vertical. Side splash is not a major factor. Heck, look how many of us simply top cover our stacks and the sides are continually splashed.

Any overhang is better than no overhang. Go for looks.