How Much Space Between Stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
This summer I'm going to redo my wood lot, all the stacks are not, at this time, "into the wind." Much of the existing wood will go into the shed the rest, about 6 or 7 cord, will get turned 90 degrees to face into the wind and get new pallets as needed. All my stacks are single row stacks. How much space should I leave between stacks and should I stagger the stacks to provide good air flow. :)

I think I've read that into the wind might not be best - rather piling at 90° to the wind so the wind blows across the ends might be. I can maybe see that point with multiple stacks - if it all faces the wind, the ones behind will be blocked by the ones in front.

Myself, I don't think it matters much - as long as there is some space all around the wood, and the wood is where the wind can get at it, it's all good.

I like at least a couple feet to be able to walk between them and top cover in about a year, readjust any leaning or even to weedeat a little. The wider the stacks the more sun and air circulation seems to get down to a lower level. But because I have the space I have the luxury to do this......

I leave enough room to get a wheel barrow through comfortably

I like the idea of staggering the stacks and forcing the wind to take a crooked route through them, but I don't know how beneficial that would be....
I've been stacking two rows per pallet and hanging the splits over the edges to leave a little more space between. Not sure yet how well this is working but I'll test MC pretty soon and see how those stacks are doing (Oak.) I have a "plan b," just in case.... >>

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralphie Boy
I think I've read that into the wind might not be best - rather piling at 90° to the wind so the wind blows across the ends might be. I can maybe see that point with multiple stacks - if it all faces the wind, the ones behind will be blocked by the ones in front.

Myself, I don't think it matters much - as long as there is some space all around the wood, and the wood is where the wind can get at it, it's all good.

I remember seeing something like that as well but I've not been able to find it again. So maybe I won't change much because the stacks are situated now so the wind blows across the fronts and not through the stacks.

You don't have to have a space between each row unless you haven't put your wood up in time. If you cut this spring and want it to burn next winter, you'll no doubt have problems no matter what. In the pictures below, you see some stacked in rows of 3 and one picture, with the snow, shows 2 different stacks. I don't remember for sure but one stack had probably 10 rows while the other had a total of 21 rows all stacked together. No problem.

Christmas-2008b.JPG Wood-2009a.JPG Wood-2012d.JPG

i have limited space so i have something similar to Backwood above - the only problem don't expect it to be dry in the first year - mine will there for at least 4 years.

I also have a years supply stacked in 3 rows to a pallet (2nd pic). in the first picture you can't really tell but there is at least 30 rows of 7 pallets wide. these have since been covered with tarps.

CAM00191.jpg CAM00424.jpg

You don't have to have a space between each row unless you haven't put your wood up in time. If you cut this spring and want it to burn next winter, you'll no doubt have problems no matter what. In the pictures below, you see some stacked in rows of 3 and one picture, with the snow, shows 2 different stacks. I don't remember for sure but one stack had probably 10 rows while the other had a total of 21 rows all stacked together. No problem.

View attachment 132095 View attachment 132096 View attachment 132097

What about the wind? Are they facing the wind or is the wind blowing across the front of the stacks? Or does it make no difference? Like the song says: "Time is on My Side" cause I'm about 5+ years ahead.

Here the prevailing winds are SW or NW. Therefore, our stacks tend to be laid from N to S. This lets the wind hit from any of the westerly directions. I see no good reason for the wind to hit the end of the rows; hit the sides.

I just leave a few inches. That is mostly to my lack of space. What I have started doing is leaving more space under the stacks as well. I previously use pallets. After 2 years they rotted so the wood was essentially on the ground. Now my stacks sit on 2x4 sitting on top cinder blocks. I'll let you know how it works in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.