How much time do I lose by not bucking right away?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

waltercervantes

Sep 3, 2020
Texas
Hello friends

Currently in the process of harvesting white birch and sugar maple on my land. I am stacking them in 6-7 ish feet lengths on pallets on the ground. Bucking them in bar lengths now is going to be too much work for how much free time I have I'm afraid. The drying chart tells me I'm looking at 2 years drying time yet I bought 8 feet lengths of birch logs to compliment this year's supply, cut in June 2019, and it is BONE dry...

Is there a huge difference between leaving my harvest in their current lengths versus bucking them now? They will be split and stacked in a super windy field as soon as the snow melts.

Thanks

I live in MA so it's a different climate. In my experience white birch is like a sponge and rots very fast. Only way it stays good for me is if I cut, split, and stack right away.

Hello friends

Currently in the process of harvesting white birch and sugar maple on my land. I am stacking them in 6-7 ish feet lengths on pallets on the ground. Bucking them in bar lengths now is going to be too much work for how much free time I have I'm afraid. The drying chart tells me I'm looking at 2 years drying time yet I bought 8 feet lengths of birch logs to compliment this year's supply, cut in June 2019, and it is BONE dry...

Is there a huge difference between leaving my harvest in their current lengths versus bucking them now? They will be split and stacked in a super windy field as soon as the snow melts.

Thanks

Same ere in WI. got to split right away or it turns to mush

as far as birch goes if your not splitting it right away it rots and goes punky quick. as far as the rest of the wood it doesn't start seasoning until its split and stacked.. so if your short on time.i wouldn't grab any more and start opening what I have

Yep I learned the hard way with birch. Needs to be cut and split otherwise it rots. It’s because the bark is waterproof. Maple should keep for a while and not rot though