How Much Wood Did U All Burn This Season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
we burned just about 3 cord. We burned roughly 14/7, but we also did a lot more cold starts than we did last year when we were 24/7.

i was trying to get through some of lesser btu wood this year too, so it was mostly pine and willow.

Burning 24/7
Went through 3.65 cords
House over 2000 sqft
Walked around in shorts alot..
we are heating around 1900 sq ft, in a poorly insulated house. In fact, for the coldest months of the year, we had no insulation, with the winds blowing directly into hour attic space. I could feel the cold air blowing through the electrical outlets. i'm glad that room was in the stove room (but it was also our living room, so we used a lot of blankets)

we are heating around 1900 sq ft, in a poorly insulated house. In fact, for the coldest months of the year, we had no insulation, with the winds blowing directly into hour attic space. I could feel the cold air blowing through the electrical outlets. i'm glad that room was in the stove room (but it was also our living room, so we used a lot of blankets)

Im pretty sure it was the most iv burned.. it was the warmest my home has been also.. what upped the final count was that in years past during shoulder season i use to put on the gas fireplace .. this year i didnt.. all wood..all the time

Im pretty sure it was the most iv burned.. it was the warmest my home has been also.. what upped the final count was that in years past during shoulder season i use to put on the gas fireplace .. this year i didnt.. all wood..all the time
i did find myself turning on the gas furnace a bit more this year instead of doing cold starts. I burned about 4 cord last year, burning 24/7.

i did find myself turning on the gas furnace a bit more this year instead of doing cold starts. I burned about 4 cord last year, burning 24/7.

For the space we have and how warm it was i really feel i didnt burn that much..couple of times i came home and my wife was running the stove, i had to open the windows in the house and cool it down...i open the door to the house and its like a wall of heat hitting you in the face.. i got palm trees growing in the dining room

Reactions: moresnow
Between 6 and 8 cords for the house. Hard to say because I heat the garage with wood as well but only as needed. I also sold/gave some two of my neighbors. I burn 24/7 during the coldest parts of winter then as needed near the end. We might have 1 or 2 random burns in the fall but we mostly hold off in fall until the cold sets in to stay.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I burned about 2 cords to cover 2/3 of our 2400 sq ft heating from December to April. That was running it about 72-75°F. The Ashford was down many times for service/repairs and malfunctioning otherwise we could have done more.

My husband and I are preparing for next winter trying to get as much wood as possible. Trying to get as much free wood as possible so we don't have to buy much. How much do you all have for next winter and do you cut and split your own wood?

My husband and I are preparing for next winter trying to get as much wood as possible. Trying to get as much free wood as possible so we don't have to buy much. How much do you all have for next winter and do you cut and split your own wood?

Im sitting on 13 cords CSS which is 3 years ahead ... i have aprox 1 cord in rounds all oak I have about 3 cords in log length that i will start to cut into rounds come november, all oak and black cherry..all free.. iv been lucky.. iv never have had to purchase wood .. so all together im like 17 cords..

Word of advice.. if you even think your going to need to purchase any wood.. get it now and start to season it.. major mistake thinking someone else will do it properly for you..

Reactions: deborita3
i am sitting on roughly 10 cord of cut/split/stacked, and roughly 5 more that need to be processed. We are about 6 years ahead at our current rate.

The first year I burned I was mixing in a lot of 2x4 and construction scraps, wet wood, and was cleaning my chimney often. My wife says we have too much wood, but she doesn't complain about the fact that we no longer need kindling.

I'm using up all the storage space I have available with 1c hickory, 2c Maple and ash for 2020; 1c w oak/hard maple + 1c red oak for 2021.

I'm planning to try keeping at least 1cord for 2yr wood like w oak, hard maple and hickory and fill the rest with 1yr wood like red maple.

All the wood is free from craigslist, fb marketplace and a little from our woods. Study up on your dendrology!

Probably less than two cords, I'm only a weekend burner, but I was running low on seasoned wood and by the end I was using some borderline oak. I've gone from famine to feast however, I had to get some tree work done, and with the cost of the equipment needed to take down a huge oak 15 feet from my house and leaning over power lines, it was more economical to keep that crane busy so now I have a large Tulip Poplar, four Oaks and miscellaneous trimmings mostly already cut and stacked for firewood through 2023 at least. My yard looks like a firewood hoarders dream!

TE

I'm using up all the storage space I have available with 1c hickory, 2c Maple and ash for 2020; 1c w oak/hard maple + 1c red oak for 2021.

I'm planning to try keeping at least 1cord for 2yr wood like w oak, hard maple and hickory and fill the rest with 1yr wood like red maple.

All the wood is free from craigslist, fb marketplace and a little from our woods. Study up on your dendrology!

We have found alot of free wood from FB marketplace, Craigslist as well and from neighbors. Hoping to not have to purchase any.

Probably less than two cords …

I burn at night. 140 fires this past season. Less than 1 1/2 cord.

I split my own wood. The tree guy I use was working in the street right behind my house last week. Dropped off an F-350 dump load of 14' - 16" oak from my neighbor's yard for $100. My three Woodhaven Half Cord Plus racks are almost full. I'll just stack the rest by the racks and cover the top with a tarp.

Attachments

• IMG_2126 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2126 - Copy.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
I burned just shy of 3 cords, but I'm still lighting fires here and there at night when the temps are in the 40's. If not then my living room lingers around 61-62 degrees.

3/4 of a cord 2100sqft. Burned evenings and some mornings. Burned mostly poplar with a bit of sweet gun mixed in. We usually burn a cord so we burned less this year due to the warmer winter. We are stand alone wood heat, so not bad. Still have 3/4 of a cord waiting for next year and another cord worth of rounds that need split.

Burned almost 7, which is way more than normal, especially since winter didn't really happen out here on the seacoast.
The difference is that I CSS over 20 cords in the last year and a half, so instead of switching to oil as soon as possible, we kept the stove going until we couldn't turn it down anymore.

Since we are down to only burning a small fire in the evening, I can say it's been about 3 to 3.5 cords burning wood as our only heat since mid November. Our house is in Maine, but well insulated with passive solar heating. Currently I've got three cords cut, split, and stacked, but we only just moved here in November. We had to use a pallet of Bio bricks (I'm counting that as one of the cords we burned) mixed with two cords of wood since the wood was too wet. We also have two large stacks of Balsam fir and spruce logs, with more on the way, I'm going to process into firewood, shingles, and lumber.

Just measured the hole in my wood pile and it's more like 10 cords, not 12.

You still got me beat, buddy. We had to quit late March, because we had a project going on around our main chimney. I was at 8.5 cords, at that point. Would’ve cleared ten by now, if we’d kept going. Almost entirely red oak, with a few other mixed hardwoods.

You still got me beat, buddy. We had to quit late March, because we had a project going on around our main chimney. I was at 8.5 cords, at that point. Would’ve cleared ten by now, if we’d kept going. Almost entirely red oak, with a few other mixed hardwoods.
i have never burned a piece of oak in my stove.

but I did reload this morning with a few elm pieces, some willow, and some aspen. When I left the house, the stove room was 72º and there was 4 inches of snow on the roof :)

. When I left the house... there was 4 inches of snow on the roof :)

We are well into spring, here. Holding 57F today, but we’ve already seen a couple of days into the 70’s. Right on schedule.

Been a late spring, cold and wet, 1-2 pine fires a day still, only not had a fire 5 days total since the insert was put in 2/23. According to my calculations I’ve burned a bit over 2 cords. Looks like this week I will still be having a few fires. Highs of maybe 60.

Philadelphians have been complaining about our general lack of spring my entire life. It typically goes from cold to hot, real fast, with often just a scant few days between.

Now, last year and this, we are having a real spring. Cool weather right up into June, albeit we have too much rain. The funny thing is that now they’re complaining about the cool weather, they’re used to warm in May and friggin’ hot by June 1.