how much wood do you need for your stove to burn all day/night long? coments wellcome :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tclapes1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2009
Madrid
hi again, its my second post walking arround this side, and of course. the first question of my wife vas how many tones of wood would we need to heat up the house burning during the day ( at home at day is not used to be people inside ) so i was thinking of fill it up at evening and have it till morning, then, when i go work fill it up again and hope heat lasts untill i arrive in the afernoon.
what do you think?¿
ah! another question is about my pipe.
plomber install a 200mm stainless steel about 5 or almost 6 meters long, but, i´ve seen that many stoves, at least the one i hope to buy after reading here has 150mm diameter.
so...
people have told me to make a reduction from 200 to 150 mm but im not sure if its posible. i know there are pipe reductions but how does them work, i mean for the combustion process....
another idea that people told me was just put a 150mm inside the 200 and go up, so gases wont come back home by the wider one.
any sugestion?
thanks in advance

I am a 100% newbie, BUT, for my osburn 2400 woodstove, about 8-10 pieces (which vary obviously in size)... I heated my WHOLE house last year with 100% wood heat with (about) 8 face cord, not sure what that translates to for you. And the usage will vary with the type of wood and type of stove.

For us inches and feet folks I will translate the the 200mm is roughly eight inches, the 150mm is roughly six inches and the 6 meter height is roughly 20 feet.

You should be just fine with that setup with a reducer with that tall a chimney. You want a reducer that slips into the stove collar and the pipe slips down into it so in the case of any liquid creosote running back down the chimney it will run back into the stove instead of out of joint and onto the chimney and stove.

Edit: You want the reducer to slip into the stove collar if the pipe is straight up from the stove through the roof. If the pipe goes into the wall then use 150mm pipe to the thimble through the wall and put the reducer at the wall thimble.

Wood useage depends on a lot of different factors like type of wood, stove design and size, weather, house size and others. I live in a pretty cold climate and burn 24/7 from mid Oct to April and burn 3 cords of hardwoods a cord measures 4'x4'x8' or 128 cubic feet. Seems most here go through 3-6 cords.

aha, i think i understand brohterbart. as you have said, pipe is just atraight up, but maby a bit close to the wall. and dont know exactly how much temperature in F can get a pipe , would be great to know anyway, you say that i could install a reduction from pipe instaled, directly to de stove? i mean... is it not a problem if pipe is not same diameter in all his long? that would be great for me so i dont have to spend more money to buy more pipe ot install inside the other.
ah, dont worry about meassures, wen i am here, i use to open some few more windows like farengeith to degress, sq to m2, etc ;)amm, i found one cord is about 128 cubic feet, so then going to one of my pages is about 3,6 m3.
wow, if it was water would be exactly 3 tones of water !!
well, i supose it will be the mesure that you use to say a not to big truck????
thanks

The manual for the Oslo will tell you that you should not have a chimney with an area of no more than three times the area of a a six inch, 150mm, pipe. The 200mm will be two times the area so it should be just fine.

Your usage will depend on the area you are heating--folks around here are heating 1500-2000 sq ft, or 150-200 m^2 living space. Tell us about your climate, probably more like the US west than the east coast.

A cord of dry hardwood weighs about 3000 pounds, or 1.35 metric tonnes. The volume of a cord is 128 cubic feet, or about 3.63 steres (m^3).

i have about 2500sf house and heat it with 2 3 cords of not so hard wood i.e. aspen and engleman spruce from mid oct to late march

Attachments

• 7409 127.jpg
    7409 127.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 891
redbulldude said:
I am a 100% newbie, BUT, for my osburn 2400 woodstove, about 8-10 pieces (which vary obviously in size)... I heated my WHOLE house last year with 100% wood heat with (about) 8 face cord, not sure what that translates to for you. And the usage will vary with the type of wood and type of stove.

For a Yooper to burn only 8 face cords is fantastic!!!

I burn 24/7 and will put in 8 logs with each load, more or less depending upon their size. Typical size is about 4" across at the largest dimension. One full load at 6:00 am, we toss in 2-3 at a time during the day when people are around the house, then another full load at about 9:30 pm. During cold months, we can go for months without ever letting it go out, just cleaning up ash, levelling out the coal bed and loading up again. That comes to about 4 cord of hardwood here in MA.

Todd said:
Wood useage depends on a lot of different factors like type of wood, stove design and size, weather, house size and others. I live in a pretty cold climate and burn 24/7 from mid Oct to April and burn 3 cords of hardwoods a cord measures 4'x4'x8' or 128 cubic feet. Seems most here go through 3-6 cords.

Todd,

How many square feet are you heating?

And what is your insulation R values in your walls and ceiling?

I always enjoy reading your posts.

Thank you,Hiram

If I remember correctly about 7 cubic feet of stack disappears a day. It's generally mixed hard and softwood. This year I have all oak and maple so I should do a bit better.

It seems like my number is about what others say theirs is. I just upgraded stoves and they are saying the 3.5 cubic foot firebox is equal to a 10+ hour burn. Fill it up twice and you get about 7 cubic feet.

Matt

Put in simple measures, 2 rounded wheel barrel loads per 24 hours keeps my house +/- 70f unless i've been ice fishing and really need the heat, then it's three loads. 7 cord a year, average. brand new house and i gotta plastic the windows or might as well leave um open. {SuperSeal, my ass!}

2 days of wood for a 3k house.
3770709494_b1c284206f.jpg

I just found that out for sure recently...I replaced last years wood with some I had way out back and it took 95 buckets like that to do it.

Backwoods Savage said:
redbulldude said:

For a Yooper to burn only 8 face cords is fantastic!!!

Don't forget Dennis,
In the U.P., it's so cold, they don't even feel how cold they are, so fewer fires.
Just a "trolls" thought. :)

This is going to have as many answers as there are woodstoves in houses. Way too many variables here.

hi again, like i see, begrenn is right again. now i have the real idea, obviusly, it seems to depend on woodstove, house sq meters, and some more things

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Thank you,Hiram

1800sq ft including basement where stove is located, don't know the r value in the walls but it's 2x4 construction and a few years ago I had another 8" blown into the attic, oh and also new windows last year. The attic insulation made a big difference.

For a Yooper to burn only 8 face cords is fantastic!!![/quote]

LOL... well, a stove rated for 2400 sq in a house that is 1200 "might" have something to do with it. I was guessing... I only got 6 loads of wood (load was longbox F-150 full)- figuring about 1 1/4 cord per load... as the wood was cut and split in the woods!

BeGreen said:
This is going to have as many answers as there are woodstoves in houses. Way too many variables here.
I agree. Let me be the first to just set the bar then. I have a completely open fireplace and it can't heat the whole house, but if I run it at "full capacity" all day long (about 7am to 11pm = 16 hours) then I'd go through 4 hoppers of wood. My hopper is 384 inches square, and my logs are 18-22" long, so let's say 7,680 cubic inches x 4 = 30,720 cubic inches of wood in 16 hours or 1920 cu inches in an hour, so for a max, if I stayed up all night keeping it going then I could burn 46,080cu inches which is 26.7cuft, that's about one fifth of a cord in 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!

This is all guessing, because if I run it all day I generally go through about 2 "hoppers" of wood in a day because once I get the brick surround heated up then it doesn't need a lot of wood to keep it heating the room. i'm going for a maximum usage scenario, though, so I really think I could go through 2x that amount if I wanted to throw some real heat (mostly up the chimney, lol)

SO, that's the size of a stack of wood similar to my small refrigerator. (30x60 inches). Basically, this means you should burn much less than that no matter what. So all we need now is for someone with a super high efficiency stove in a teensy house to report. and then we have a max and a min wood usage range.

savageactor7 said:
2 days of wood for a 3k house.
3770709494_b1c284206f.jpg

I just found that out for sure recently...I replaced last years wood with some I had way out back and it took 95 buckets like that to do it.

Savage,

Our climates I believe are somewhat similar, I too have 3000sf house & I believe I go through 1/2 the wood you show in that sexy bucket in the same period in mid Jan :eek:hh:

My readings: The stove room 700sf. is mighty toasty (talking mid Jan here) 25-26 *C (what is that in american $) %-P. Back rooms on the same level are around 23*C, the furthest room upstairs (conveniently our room :) ) is about 15*C in the mornings & this is when the NG will sometimes kick in.

Our house is very well insulated....is yours? I just can not believe the discrepancy! We should be pretty much at par.

Todd said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Thank you,Hiram

1800sq ft including basement where stove is located, don't know the r value in the walls but it's 2x4 construction and a few years ago I had another 8" blown into the attic, oh and also new windows last year. The attic insulation made a big difference.

Todd, What is your average inside temp?

My wood consumption is double Yours and Dennis....My place is 2020 sqft

I just put another 6" in the attic so hopefully that will help.

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Thank you,Hiram

Todd, What is your average inside temp?

My wood consumption is double Yours and Dennis....My place is 2020 sqft

I just put another 6" in the attic so hopefully that will help.

I like to keep my upstairs living room above 70 and it's always a little hotter downstairs. The extra insulation will help, it did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.