How much wood have you burned!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

logfarmer

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2015
Ohio
How many cord(s) of wood have you burned this winter and with what stove! I’ve burned about a cord+ not quite a rick so far with a englander 24 IC.

So far I'm at 2.109 cords. The last couple weeks we have really run through the wood. My wife is home every day and pretty much so are the kids. My usage may be up some. Keeping the house roughly 72/74 and at night no less than 67. Im not shutting down as early now that its colder as compared to earlier this winter.. I was shutting down the stove at like 6pm now I'll wait untill 8ish..
VC encore 2040 24/7 and loving wood heat..

Reactions: logfarmer
I've burned 3.5 cords so far in my Osburn 1600 insert as our primary heat. Its actually been fairly cold for a while here so we've been chewing through wood.

I started off the season with a lot of bone dry questionable poplar/butternut that went up like tinder. I also wanted to use my new toy all the time so my usage is a little high. I think if I had good wood to start and wasn't burning for fun in October I'd be more around 2.5 cords so far.

3.5cord
Temps averaging around zero outside means keeping stovetop temps 400-600f and fairly frequent reloads. At that rate a cord lasts about 3wks. Jan and Feb will consume half of the usual 4.5cord for the year.

On my 3rd cord.-38°f here this morning.osburn 2300.

20210213_071005.jpg

Last edited:
More than i wanted to;) I am up to about 2-3/4 cords. Going to be cutting it close and most likely will need to raid a stack that was slated for next year.

Reactions: NickW and logfarmer
I think you are on to something. With all of us being executive ordered into our homes, it makes sense that our usage is up. Through 2 into 3 cords this year. I have enough for the rest of Feb/Mar, but if its needed, then I will buy enough NIELS to get me through. Its nice to have that as a backup.

Hard to get exact but about 3.5 cord hardwood and 3/4 cord pine so far. Hard wood burned in the Myriad II and Tundra II. Pine went in the CW2900 insert. Wood is primary heat source.

anyone feel that with people being home more due to covid that they are going through a little more wood..
I am right on par with what I went through last year. Maybe a bit more but I have been running 2 burners at same time alot this year. I think the new stove has helped with a bit less wood consumption compared to the old smoke dragon.

Not enough... I will be in better shape 2 yrs from now. Next year is likely still judiciously firing up the Blaze King Chinook 30.2 (rather than to have it simply burn continuously on low if I don't need much heat) to make sure I have some dry wood left for a cold spell at the end...
About a face cord of maple and a face cord of sassafras. Then a face cord of [cherry + oak].

Gotta step up that wood game @stoveliker ! It's definitely hard at the beginning.

I'm gonna make it myself but I utilized 3 standing dead ash trees in my woods to supplement what I had allocated for this year. I have 11 cords on my property now though so we're good moving forward. Trying to get 3 years ahead but running into space issues. I expect a 3-4 cord a year habit so I'm close...I'm negotiating with the wife for more space! ;lol

With working from home during covid, I've got 2 stoves going basically 24x7. I'm about to finish my third bush cord. Definitely more than usual!

2.75 cords to date. Half of this year’s “bay” in the shed. 100% wood heat for house in the mid 70s and shop in the upper 50s.

All Doug fir at 14% has been a real treat.

I got an extra 3 cord log load delivered and processed in late summer 2020 in anticipation of extra usage due to working from home but it looks unnecessary now for whatever reason.

Gotta step up that wood game @stoveliker ! It's definitely hard at the beginning.

I'm gonna make it myself but I utilized 3 standing dead ash trees in my woods to supplement what I had allocated for this year. I have 11 cords on my property now though so we're good moving forward. Trying to get 3 years ahead but running into space issues. I expect a 3-4 cord a year habit so I'm close...I'm negotiating with the wife for more space! ;lol

My plan is to build a shed this year. 144 sq ft, 6-8 ft tall, so holding 7.5 cords or so. Did not get permission from the wife for two sheds (and 144 sq ft is the limit for no permit here ...).
That'll allow me to burn 2.5 cords a year with three bays, which should be more than enough here.

I already have a tree company lined up for free logs/rounds delivery. Waiting for the snow to clear to get some pine etc.

Reactions: NickW and logfarmer
I'm intimately familiar with the permission from the wife issue. That's one reason I went with the long/skinny plan of a row of racks with lean-to roofs. Cost about $1,000 to make and will hold 8 cords but also not permanent. Its all able to be taken down and moved relatively easily. I have 1 of 4 build and plan to built the rest this spring. Then I have some random spots on the property I can stash 2-3 more cords they are just not super great spots for drying.

Nice about the log sourcing! I don't get mine for free as I think you know but the cost is mostly a fee for their time and the ability to get all hardwood. Around here you could get all the pine you want for pennies.

This snow is killing my wood processing. I have way cords c/s/s and another 3 cords of rounds sitting in my driveway waiting to be processed and put away. Very annoying. Wood processing is my me time...One day!

I'm intimately familiar with the permission from the wife issue. That's one reason I went with the long/skinny plan of a row of racks with lean-to roofs. Cost about $1,000 to make and will hold 8 cords but also not permanent. Its all able to be taken down and moved relatively easily. I have 1 of 4 build and plan to built the rest this spring. Then I have some random spots on the property I can stash 2-3 more cords they are just not super great spots for drying.

Nice about the log sourcing! I don't get mine for free as I think you know but the cost is mostly a fee for their time and the ability to get all hardwood. Around here you could get all the pine you want for pennies.

This snow is killing my wood processing. I have way cords c/s/s and another 3 cords of rounds sitting in my driveway waiting to be processed and put away. Very annoying. Wood processing is my me time...One day!

Same for me. My me time. But my driveway is now full with 6 ft piles of snow... And that is where I process my wood.

Anyway, the wood shed will be long as well, to have more exposure.

The wife today said she was surprised how much we used this winter (1st with the BK)... After a year of telling me we had enough...

I think I am at 2.5-3 cords give or take a little..I am using less than prior to tightening this house up...which was knocking on 7 cord..depending upon what February brings I am looking at using 5.5-6?