How much wood have you burned!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not really sure.

Unlike most folks I never really keep track of my wood usage . . . mainly because I know short of having another Ice Age glacier descend into Maine I am all set with seasoned wood in the shed for 2-3 years with at least 2-3 years worth of wood in the process of being seasoned in stacks outside.

Running out of wood is a non-isssue.

Now that all said . . . it seems as though I am going through less wood this year . . . but we still will be burning until at least April or May.

Reactions: Gearhead660
“Are you gonna put some more wood on the fire?” “Honey it’s 80f in the hallway, that means it’s around 85f where you are, aren’t you hot?” “No”.
Around 2 cords oak in NJ. Jotul f400.

Reactions: thunderhead
I'm sweating just thinking about 85 degrees in the living room. My stove room will get up to 78-80 when I have it cranking during a cold spell and it's oppressive in there! The rest of the house is a nice comfy 70-72.

“Are you gonna put some more wood on the fire?” “Honey it’s 80f in the hallway, that means it’s around 85f where you are, aren’t you hot?” “No”.
Around 2 cords oak in NJ. Jotul f400.

Just do as she asks. Eventually she'll adapt her outfit;)

Yeah it gets so hot I can’t even sit in the room. But wife can be there with the down jacket on and be just fine. Pretty sure she has Alien blood.

short of having another Ice Age glacier descend into Maine I am all set with seasoned wood

I have heard that Maine is the place where even Polar Bears migrate south for the winter..... :eek:

And that Mainers laugh at Siberians for complaining about "cold weather", while Mainers frolic around in shorts and t-shits..... ;lol

And that Mainers are not to be underestimated.

But of course, that is only what I have heard..... ;)

Last edited:
Probably a bit over 4 cords already with 2 months to go at least. I sure seem to go thru more wood than most you guys do. Granted i heat my whole house solely on it all winter and burn 24/7 from Nov thru March so maybe it aint to bad. I'll probably go thru 6 cords this winter

Reactions: logfarmer
I have heard that Maine is the place where even Polar Bears migrate south for the winter..... :eek:

And that Mainers laugh at Siberians for complaining about "cold weather", while Mainers frolic around in shorts and t-shits..... ;lol

And that Mainers are not to be underestimated.

But of course, that is only what I have heard..... ;)

Nah . . . that's just stuff we tell the summer tourists so they're not tempted to move here permanently.

That said . . . I will admit I do routinely go outside in my boxer shorts and "T-chit" . . . but it's just to go get the mail, grab some firewood or watch the dog do her business.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
Probably a bit over 4 cords already with 2 months to go at least. I sure seem to go thru more wood than most you guys do. Granted i heat my whole house solely on it all winter and burn 24/7 from Nov thru March so maybe it aint to bad. I'll probably go thru 6 cords this winter
Wow, that seems like a lot... What's the stove? I'm not too far south of you and expect only 4 cords of mixed. I heat 2400sf 98% with the new stove. Old smoke dragon I used 5-7 cord and only managed I would guess 70% because the overnight was gone too fast and the baseboards kicked in. During this cold snap we're coming out of they kicked in only a couple of mornings.

Wow, that seems like a lot... What's the stove? I'm not too far south of you and expect only 4 cords of mixed. I
The Drolet Austral. I do notice on the weekend when im home i go thru a lot more wood as i tend to throw just a few logs in at a time and dont turn the air down. Im trying for small fires to keep the stove going and moderately throw heat as anything more it'll get to hot in the house but that seems to use up more wood. During the week im gone to work for 8 hrs so it gets filled when i leave and when i go to bed.
Seems this year im on pace to use at least a cord more than previous years

i tend to throw just a few logs in at a time and dont turn the air down.

This is why you're going through more wood. Youre losing a lot of your efficiency running it this way. These EPA tube stoves are designed to run with the air closed down to promote secondary combustion and burn in complete cycles. I throw a few splits on here or there to hit better reload times depending on what I'm doing...I think we all do that, especially for overnight, but not as a regular way to run it.

If you're after lower more even heat a cat stove would probably be best for you.

Last edited:
The Drolet Austral. I do notice on the weekend when im home i go thru a lot more wood as i tend to throw just a few logs in at a time and dont turn the air down. Im trying for small fires to keep the stove going and moderately throw heat as anything more it'll get to hot in the house but that seems to use up more wood. During the week im gone to work for 8 hrs so it gets filled when i leave and when i go to bed.
Seems this year im on pace to use at least a cord more than previous years
I do this also with my NC30, but make sure I get enough in to choke it down and get secondaries. A full load is anywhere from 8-14 chunks of wood. My daytime loads tend to be 3-5 splits. Stt around 450-500 instead of 650+. Active burn time is a little shorter. Spring & fall this season I started using softwoods.