How much wood will I burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again jake. I will start working more at air control. I'm certainly no novice to burning wood. My chore at 10 was chopping and keeping the fire going. Now 34 years later I'm still using wood. My wife has almost the same experience. It took us two winters to get really good at using our Yukon Eagle furnace. Armed with better info, I think next winter we should have this nailed down. With your help I think it will vastly improve this week.

@Richard sadly I caught this a little late. I've been preoccupied and wasn't really paying attention to what I was burning. I've burned up quite a bit so far. I will have to grab a cord before spring. :(
Yup. Brand new jotul purchased right down the street at the Preston Trading Post. Its a great stove that we both absolutely love. Now to just nail down our wood burn. It will be perfect once we get it down to 5 cords.

The only complaint I have about the carrabasset is the two firebricks that stick out in the back corners and the short box. I wish I could squeeze in 20-22" logs for a few big splits I have. But we knew that going in so no surprise there. Its really a great stove. If I wasn't losing my job we may have gone with the more expensive Lopi. But my wife likes the look of the carrabasset better anyway and the box issues are not that big of a deal. We still get lots of heat and an ey 10 hour burn with a super easy start in the am.

@Big Redd. Close. I think this year we're at a full cord. I expected to burn a little less than our 41/2-5 cord last year so I went high with a full five cords. Its going to be 6 I'm afraid. :(

A cord a month.

TK-
Not a whole lot more i can offer since these guys are so knowledgeable and have offered great advice. I too am in my 40s and grew up splitting, stacking and hauling wood since I was a grammar school kid. The EPA stoves are just different though. It takes about 2 years to get effective with them and they are very finicky with wood. I use a moisture meter and don't stage any wood for burning unless it reads 20% or less. My wife thought I was nuts at first, but is now a true believer in well seasoned wood. She loves tending the fire and really loves a 70+ degree house. I expect to burn 3 full cords as it looks like we are finally going to have a real winter. I also hand split just about everything and I have learned to make the splits smaller for the expedition of drying, especially oak. I am burning 15 month seasoned oak that i split smaller over 30 month split oak that I split large because it reads at a lower moisture meter reading. I just add more logs and try to alternate N/S with E/W stacking in the fire box. Best of luck to you and stay warm.
Jeff

This is straight out of my owners manual for my EPA stove.

Use the air control settings that work best for you.

No single air control setting will fit every situation. Each installation will differ depending on the quality of the fuel, the amount of heat desired, and how long you wish the fire to burn ,outdoor air temperature and pressure also affect draft. The control setting also depends on your particular installations draft, or the force that moves the air from the stove up through the chimney. Draft is affected by such things as the length, type, and location of the chimney, local geography, nearby instructions, and other factors. Too much draft may cause excessive temperatures and could even damage the stove. On the other hand to little draft can cause back puffing into the room and or the plugging of the chimney.

TK-421, 10hr burn? Nothing to complain about there! This season has been colder than the norm, next year you may burn less by this time.

I've burned a good bit so far, there have been no days warm enough to let the snow slide off the roof. One blessing is: this year we got the wood in early and it is much drier than last year. Have a great winter.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.