How much wood will it hold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle19

Jun 17, 2010
Rockland County, NY
I'm planning on building a wood shed that is 8 feet wide by 16 feet long and about 8 feet high. I'm using the plans that crash11 helped me with and hopefully my shed will come out somewhat like his. How many cords do you think i will be able to store in it when i'm done? My math says 6 or so but i have no friggin clue. I have about 7 cords split and seasoned already.

If stack perfect 8 cords, more likely 6.5 cords

If it's 8' tall in the front and sloped to 6' in the back, it will hold all 7 cord stuffed to the rafters.

Well its 2 cords deep and 2 cords wide and 2 cords long.

To me that equals 8 cords (2x2=4 x2=8)

HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS ARE FAST!!!! 3 replies in less then 15 minutes. Thanks for the info. I figured anywhere from 6-8 cords but I didn't know how much the slope from 8 to 6 feet from the front to back would take away. I'm gonna be sinking the posts this weekend and i will make sure i put some pictures up. My wife was originally against the idea but the tree guy dropped off another huge load the other day and i'm running out of room. If i can get all the seasoned stuff into one nice neat area it will both make her happy and me happy because no more tarps and dry wood!! Woo Hoo!!!

The only real issue is how good you are at stacking.....just because its full doesnt meen you have it full. A very good stacker would make the 7 range with good splits.

One must also remember that the size of the shed is measured on the outside. Inside will be a bit shorter. In the end, a lot depends upon your stacking skills. That can mean a lot. For example, when I used to allow my wife to help stack, I could stack about 1/3 more in the same space as she used. She no longer helps in that area...

My shed is 16x8 and slopes with the ground, 6' at the lowest point and 8' at the highest. The inside measurement of my shed is about 15.5 x 7.5. My math was for 6 cords but I get to about 5 cords before I'm lifting too high. I'm not getting on a step ladder to stack wood.

My shed has a footprint under roof of 12' x 16', but I left a 6' x 8' corner of it undecked. That leaves me with 144 ft² of stacking space. I can comfortably stack to about 7' high, and although the roof of the shed would allow for me going higher than that, I don't want to get into using a stepladder to stack/retrieve wood. So...144 ft² x 7' = 1008 ft³ = almost 8 cords (7 7/8). Realistically, I probably put around 6½ - 7 in there, leaving a bit of room to maneuver. Rick

The one I just built (still needs some wall planks) is 16x10- outside. Inside dimensions are about 15.5' x 9.5', although I'l only be using about 8' deep. I just estimate the average stacking height will be 6-6.5'. At the 6' mark, I should get just under 6 cords in there, and if I use the 6.5 mark, I should be able to fit 6 1/3 cord. I plan to have it full by the end of the week, if the weather holds out.
I don't think I'll need a stepladder. :coolsmile:

Using simple math it would seem that you could get 8 cords of wood in a shed this size . . . however . . . there is reality to think of . . .

Reality dictates that most folks measure the size of their shed from the outside dimensions as BS mentioned . . . and this means you will have to deduct some space to account for posts, walls, etc. In my case I lost 8 inches on the two sides (I used 2 x 4 walls with true 2 x 4s) and 4 inches from the rear wall.

Reality also dictates that there is no way to fill all 128 square feet with wood . . there will be void spaces . . . more or less depending on how well you stack and what your wood looks like (i.e. nice rectangular or square pieces vs. round vs. odd shaped pieces such as crotches, twisty or curvy wood, etc.

Reality also dictates that while the shed may be 8 feet high for many folks they may not feel comfortable stacking that high over their head . . . or they may require a step stool or ladder to do so . . . so you may not wish to stack wood that high.

I think 6 1/2-7 cord would be a safe and conservative estimate.

Adios Pantalones said:
Carry the one leaves naught, and adding the other naught with 2 gives you... 137 cord.

-Jethro Bodine on Paul's computer

:lol:

That's it. 137, not 7. I musta forgot to add the other naught. :roll:

Don't forget that the tighter you pack it, the longer the wood (assuming it's all not perfectly seasoned) will take to season.

Spikem said:
Don't forget that the tighter you pack it, the longer the wood (assuming it's all not perfectly seasoned) will take to season.

I don't think that inside the shed's the place to season wood. All my wood seasons out in the open and only gets moved into the shed during the year just prior to burning it (right now I'm shedding for '10-'11 comin' up). It'll continue to season in the shed, but it's already ready to burn or I won't put it in there. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.