How NOT to fell a large maple tree (w/ pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dreezon said:
mainstation said:
If you start to fell a tree, then that tree has to come down ...that day.

It's a shame we couldn't... because his car would have been out of the way.

For the record, neither my Dad nor I recommend Husqvarna. That saw cuts like crazy when it's running right, but it's amazing how much trouble we've had with it. It was over-revving without the user even touching the trigger. When we took it in that time, the dealer kept it for about three weeks, and since my dad got it back, it keeps wanting to die when you touch the trigger.

What mod. of new Husky is it? I've got one of the newer ones and have run well over a dozen tanks of gas through it and have had no probs.

dreezon said:
And who was this guy with the BS meter? Why on earth would someone make up a story so embarrassing to himself?
Why is a good question. I've met a lot of BSers in my time.

If you look closely at the pic, the tree appears to be in the foreground, not on the same plane as the car and just an illusion of it touching the car. Follow the branch in the foreground down to the base and tell me it's not obvious.

Its not obvious.

Looked and looked and even blew it up some...seems clear to me that the base of the tree is right on front of the camera and the branch thats laying scross the cop car is about 15-20 feet away from the camera.

Why make this post?

boostnut said:
Glad to hear that my tax money is going to help pay for your terrible judgement (I live in Tazewell County). Do yourself a favor, don't drop any tree that is anywhere near a structure, car, power line, outhouse, whatever. You obviously need some practice in a safer environment before you start cutting on hazard trees. BTW, how do 2 guys get anything done with just 1 saw? I usually have 3 just for myself + whatever my cutting partner(s) bring.

Let me put it in your terms. Do yourself a favor and don't post until you run it by someone who can tell you when you are out of line. You obviously need some practice in a safer environment before you post anymore.

The OP meant it for humor, to share, and to help others learn from it, why post crap?

dreezon said:
In case it's unclear from the picture, yes, part of the tree is, in fact, resting on top of the police car. I am not the police officer. I'm one of the idiots who neglected to ask him to move the car.

We had it tied off to a truck pulling it the way we wanted, but it wasn't enough to overcome the weight of the branches. The worst part is, I did ask him to move the car when we initially started the tree and had to quit due to a chainsaw failure, but for whatever reason, it did not occur to me this time.

Lesson learned.

Picture hijack.

zap

Attachments

• PoliceCarMaple-1.jpg
    PoliceCarMaple-1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 293
mike1234 said:
Why make this post?

boostnut said:
Glad to hear that my tax money is going to help pay for your terrible judgement (I live in Tazewell County). Do yourself a favor, don't drop any tree that is anywhere near a structure, car, power line, outhouse, whatever. You obviously need some practice in a safer environment before you start cutting on hazard trees. BTW, how do 2 guys get anything done with just 1 saw? I usually have 3 just for myself + whatever my cutting partner(s) bring.

Let me put it in your terms. Do yourself a favor and don't post until you run it by someone who can tell you when you are out of line. You obviously need some practice in a safer environment before you post anymore.

The OP meant it for humor, to share, and to help others learn from it, why post crap?

Out of line, c'mon. Guess I just think that the op should be responsible for the damages he caused. Keep in mind that we live in a state where the gov't is flat broke, both at a state and local level. I can't comprehend how the state or its insurance companies should pay the tab for something that could have been so easily avoidable.

UH-OH Better get Maaco!! I hope Nationwide is on your side!!

Tree doesn't look so big in the picture, do my eyes deceive me....... or were you pulling it with a Ford?

"If you start to fell a tree, then that tree has to come down ...that day."

Yeah, that's why I always carry an ax, handsaw, and felling wedge. Once you start you've got a lawsuit waiting to happen until it's finally down.

Heck, even if you notched it, then later a tornado comes by and uproots the whole thing and drops it on a house a mile away w/ the notch completely unbroken - you can be sure some lawyer will be talking to the homeowner. See, they only need to sue you for a little less than it would cost to defend yourself in court.

I keep looking at that picture and how small that tree is and have come to the conclusion that you should put your chainsaw away till you get some lessons on how to use it.

mainstation said:
I keep looking at that picture and how small that tree is and have come to the conclusion that you should put your chainsaw away till you get some lessons on how to use it.

I'm pretty sure the picture is just showing the top branches, I'd imagine the tree was similar in size to the rest of the ones in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.