How often do you sharpen your chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather spend a few min touching up a chain every fill up than a bunch of time at the end of the day. It only takes a min to touch up a skip tooth chain, my full comp chain gets abused more and when its dull I take to the saw shop and pay 6 bucks.
You can definatly get a chain very sharp with a file... Once you have masterd how to do it. I personaly wrecked a chain or two in the learning process. And on the rakers, one pass with a good file is fine. 4 hard passes is a fast way to make a chain so agressive that unless you have a Ton of power your saw will be a grabby dog that bogs down instantly. Trust me I know.

Get the Stihl 2in1 sharpener!
View attachment 168294

Best tool to sharpen your chains ... as .. it sharpens teeth and rakers @ the same time .. like new chains again!==c

just to add. although I'm only a year into serious cutting, I bought a timberline and sharpen at every fueling on my 362CM. It only takes a minute or two and I've found Im less tried and get much more done with a razor sharp chain. Once I got over sticker shock, I bought a second cutter for my extra saw, an Echo Cs-530.
https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

I use the Timberline sharpener as well and find it does a good job. I'd recommend it.

Get the Stihl 2in1 sharpener!
View attachment 168294

Best tool to sharpen your chains ... as .. it sharpens teeth and rakers @ the same time .. like new chains again!==c

I have the Pferd version of the same thing. Since I started using that and got an Oregon 510A, I and my saws are MUCH happier.

I use the Pferd every two tanks, generally, unless it's needed more often. Gives me and the saw a break, and only takes a few minutes to dress up a chain very nicely.

When the chain gets rocked, or otherwise is too far gone for the Pferd, I put on a fresh chain. Once I get a few chains needing the Oregon, I spend a half hour or so in the shop making sparks.

This system has been great for me. It has taken all the stress out of chains. In the past I have fried a saw by pushing too far on a dull chain, and overheated the saw. Never again. I got 4 new Stihl chains for each saw, and life is good.

By the way, I have found that the Stihl chains stay sharper longer than anything else I've tried, and that includes Husky, Oregon, and Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.