How to connect a DVL clean out T to an insulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nuggsy

Nov 30, 2022
Dallas
I am in the process of installing a Morso 6140 vented out the back through a masonry chimney. The chimney is in the center of the house and I am not sure of the clearance on the backside ( I know for sure it is at least 7in ) so I plan to use the DVL clean out T. The chimney is lined with the insulated liner from Rockford.

The DVL- t fits tightly onto the stove without an appliance adapter but I cannot find an answer on how to connect the DVL to the liner. I've already called Rockford who recommended a universal adapter but it doesn't look like that will attach to the DVL. I've called Duravent customer support but they haven't called me back.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Stove

DVL T

Chimney Liner

A standard appliance adapter like they suggested should work. It would insert into the DVL tee's inner liner which is 6" ID. If too snug, crimp the end of the appliance adapter.

Thank you for the response. I can't see how the various adapters would work with this set up?.

This is the part he showed me: https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.c...himney-liner-vertical-appliance-connector.php

But I don't see a way to attach it. The DVL screw holes do not go through the inner pipe.

I looked at the DVL appliance adapter as well but that will recreate the current female end on the DVL T.

DVL states it "must be used with close clearance (cat ccp) connection installation." I'm assuming it is referring to this part:
The installation instructions only discuss through-wall /ceiling with the DVL stove pipe. Nothing about liner connections. And just looking at the close clearance adapter, I can't see how to use that to connect the T to the liner.

What am I missing?

I would drill clearance holes through DVL and tap holes in the appliance adapter. But really, the DVL is unnecessary here, just skip getting the DVL and use a stainless tee with the liner band clamp on top.

Thanks begreen but I can't meet clearances with that part (I already have it). They may have told me I can insulate/wrap it but it will be partly visible in the hearth. I didn't need zero clearance so the DVL meets the 6 in clearance I wanted for the back.

So now, I'm posting my own answer here in case anyone reads this in the future. The DuraVent tech support finally called me back. She was super helpful. Essentially there is no adapter that will work to connect the DVL to the insulated liner. The air holes between the double layers would be left open and you'd have to screw through the inner layer. She recommended the insulated T with the universal adapter that Rockford mentioned.

Thanks begreen but I can't meet clearances with that part (I already have it). They may have told me I can insulate/wrap it but it will be partly visible in the hearth. I didn't need zero clearance so the DVL meets the 6 in clearance I wanted for the back.

So now, I'm posting my own answer here in case anyone reads this in the future. The DuraVent tech support finally called me back. She was super helpful. Essentially there is no adapter that will work to connect the DVL to the insulated liner. The air holes between the double layers would be left open and you'd have to screw through the inner layer. She recommended the insulated T with the universal adapter that Rockford mentioned.

What clearances can't you meet? Is the tee going to be inside a fireplace? Some pics would help

How would you get that in your chimney if your team is already built?