How to detect the slightest smoke leak??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hondochica

Oct 9, 2017
Divide, CO
I have a VC Resolute Acclaim (later model) stove. Finally got it set up a day+ ago. (life does intervene! It got reallllllly cold!!). After operating the stove for 8+ hours - I came home (gone the last3+_ hours) to an ever-so-slightly smoky house; eyes burned and slightly visible 'smoke' in the room.

Is there any reliable way to determine where this likely ever-so-small leak is coming from? I tried closing down the stove to create lots of smoke and carefully scanned the outside of the stove (no fans - no discernible air movement) and could not see any smoke coming from the stove.

Also - I am not convinced the stove pipe (and 3 joints: stove to pipe; and 2 junctions of 3 pieces before the ceiling box) is not leaking smoke. The pipes are all Durablack pipe - supposedly seal sufficiently w/o some glue/sealant (no such instructions to use such material). Is there a material/glue/substance I can use around the joints to 'seal' the pipe and be sure they are not leaking ever-so-small-undetectable smoke?

Appreciate your time

Kelly

Turn off the lights in the room, then take an intense narrow beam flashlight and run it parallel to the stove surfaces. Smoke may show up in cross beam of the intense light.

Reactions: hondochica
Turn off the lights in the room, then take an intense narrow beam flashlight and run it parallel to the stove surfaces. Smoke may show up in cross beam of the intense light.
Begreen. Do you think it's might be the new paint.?
Kelly, It takes time to burn all the oil and cure paint on stove and pipes. Did you do break in fire? Is it brand new stove?

Is this a new stove or new pipe? New paint smokes a little (or a whole lot in the case of my 30nc) as it gets hot the first time or two.

Edit: posted the same time as Dmitry.

Wow! Great replies . . .

No this is not a 'new' stove; a mid/late 90's model bought off CL. I did replace all the gaskets (except glass which seems to be good; although there is a small crack in the glass; I'd be surprised if it's leaking)

the pipe is new; and I think DuraVent company (whatever their name) needs to put a better/stronger disclaimer on their instructions about "toxic" off-gassing when heated!! OMG!!!! I had the house open all morning in 17F temps; cooked the stove to nearly 'overheat' just to 'burn off' off the nasty gasses as fast as I could from the stove pipe paint! YIKES! Had to open the front door/back window, turn on ceiling fans and furnace just to try to blow that toxic smell out of my house as fast as I could. I'm sure it's still off-gassing, but not nearly as bad. (I'll be suing DuraVent should I come down with lung or some other cancer next year!). I had run the stove yesterday, but a a lower temp to 'break it back in' after at least 2+ years of non-use. so I didn't fire it up full first day; I noticed the smell several times last night while trying to sleep!

Guess it could be the pipe. But I'll light a small 'smoky' fire, turn off the light and see what I can see. (Awesome idea!)

Stay tuned - more ideas welcome

Kelly

btw: I've let the stove cool for now so I could check gaskets etc - fyi

Wow! Great replies . . .

No this is not a 'new' stove; a mid/late 90's model bought off CL. I did replace all the gaskets (except glass which seems to be good; although there is a small crack in the glass; I'd be surprised if it's leaking)

the pipe is new; and I think DuraVent company (whatever their name) needs to put a better/stronger disclaimer on their instructions about "toxic" off-gassing when heated!! OMG!!!! I had the house open all morning in 17F temps; cooked the stove to nearly 'overheat' just to 'burn off' off the nasty gasses as fast as I could from the stove pipe paint! YIKES! Had to open the front door/back window, turn on ceiling fans and furnace just to try to blow that toxic smell out of my house as fast as I could. I'm sure it's still off-gassing, but not nearly as bad. (I'll be suing DuraVent should I come down with lung or some other cancer next year!). I had run the stove yesterday, but a a lower temp to 'break it back in' after at least 2+ years of non-use. so I didn't fire it up full first day; I noticed the smell several times last night while trying to sleep!

Guess it could be the pipe. But I'll light a small 'smoky' fire, turn off the light and see what I can see. (Awesome idea!)

Stay tuned - more ideas welcome

Kelly

btw: I've let the stove cool for now so I could check gaskets etc - fyi
I’d worry about small crack in glass . The glass is compromised, so it’s not that durable anymore. And it can leak air, it will lead to uncontrollable fires

Well - I started a small smoky fire, turned off the lights and grabbed a flashlight. Not a narrow beam but have studied, intently, every gasket seal and the small glass crack, and every pipe joint, from every angle several times. I can't find any definitive smoke. A couple almost imperceptible whiffs from the top 'door' and it's quite possible it was dust (it's amazing how much dust is in the air!!). So - it's now 4F outside and I need heat!! Maybe it was just the pipe.

thanks for your help as always

stay warm
Kelly

with more fire (brighter) in the stove, I can see there is a small gap between the back side of the stove pipe and the stove collar. don't see smoke there but certainly seems possible. Is there any product I can use to 'seal' that gap?

Kelly

You can finger trowel a little Rutland stove/furnace cement into the gap.

You need to replace your glass. It would scare the sh%# out of me burning my stove with cracked glass. If your load shifts mid burn and hits the glass you could come home to what's left of your house smoking...

Reactions: coffeecup86
Will try the cement; I think I have some left over from the new gaskets.

As for the glass - the crack isn't going anywhere; it's a very small semicircle at the edge. I appreciate all the concern for 'burnin' down the house' (great Talking Heads tune!) . . I'll keep an eye on it. The wood can't hit the glass' there are these 2 iron pegs in the way.

thanks for the help

Happy Holidays
Kelly

Just remember your playing with fire that glass sounds unsafe to me.