How to lift wood onto a deck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mdmallard

Nov 20, 2014
Maryland
Hi Everyone,

We have a two year old Blaze King Princess, which we love, and I recently finished my deck/screened in porch project. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the firewood onto a wood rack that we'll be placing by the door of our house where our storage bin is currently located in the attached picture. Other than carrying 100 loads up 8-9 steps, I've thought about building a removable/temporary gantry crane. I've also thought about somehow installing one of those pickup truck bed cranes into a concrete post in the yard and swinging a pallet of wood over the railing and onto the deck.

I'd like any ideas or solutions people on this forum have previously used to get wood onto a raised deck or porch.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 306
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 480
Many years ago we had a fellow that rigged up a clever hoist on swing out davit that could lift up a whole cart of wood at a time. There was another fancy version too.

And fancier yet: A wood waiter

They make small convayer belts that would not take up much room. If you could find one used, or even rent one, it would make a two person job go very quickly.

conveyor-rentals.html

Reactions: St. Coemgen
How much are you looking to put up on the deck? Same as what you have been? More? Can the deck take a larger load? Curious.

Didn't think of a conveyor belt. I'll look into that. Thanks! I have a 6ft storage rack that's 5ft tall. Yes the deck can handle the added weight.

Reactions: moresnow
I use the Bucket on my Tractor. 5ft is easy. (Wife hauling my Son last year). Craiglist. I bet there is person around you can hire too.

Attachments

• JOhn.JPG
    JOhn.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 348
Didn't think of a conveyor belt. I'll look into that.
Have a treadmill? Point it up to the deck...turn on high...launch wood into bin (after dialing in the target ;) )
I just seen a video the other day where I guy had a treadmill pointed into the basement window to load wood into the basement...

Reactions: D8Chumley
Every old barn had a rope hoist.
I have one in the shed I built for raising equipment to the overhead loft. Unistrut makes a trolley for use on their channels.
In winter, summer equipment goes up, and the winter stuff comes down for use.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I have 4 steps from the paver patio up to my porch where I store wood.

I built a simple ramp out of galvanized floor decking, and picked up a DR Power Wagon so I can just put-put in first gear right up onto the porch to unload

Hi Everyone,

We have a two year old Blaze King Princess, which we love, and I recently finished my deck/screened in porch project. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the firewood onto a wood rack that we'll be placing by the door of our house where our storage bin is currently located in the attached picture. Other than carrying 100 loads up 8-9 steps, I've thought about building a removable/temporary gantry crane. I've also thought about somehow installing one of those pickup truck bed cranes into a concrete post in the yard and swinging a pallet of wood over the railing and onto the deck.

I'd like any ideas or solutions people on this forum have previously used to get wood onto a raised deck or porch.

Thanks!
100 loads is just 10 trips/day for 10 days . just start doing it!

Cheap, but effective is get a heavy duty wagon and lay a ramp down. If you have a riding mower or atv you can figure out a way to mount a snatch block then pull it up the ramp. An ice fishing sled would work great too. Keep an eye on CL. I see handicapped stair elevators every now and then. You could mount a box where the chair sits and run it up.
Another option is to make a swinging gate out of one of the deck panels. Open the gate and the deck would be at the right height to set the wood on.

Last edited:
Hauling wood up those steps is really consuming and takes you away from doing other things. Plus it's a health hazard in the winter.... at least that's how I'd pitch it to my wife before leading into the advantages of a compact tractor that we need to buy. :) (just got one this year, seriously more efficient and I don't know how I lived without it).

It's probably not what you're looking for but I'll mention it anyway just in case.
A lift that is designed to provide wheelchair access to a deck may work. You can sometimes find used ones online.

1602847416802.png

Look into tile lifters. Roofers use them to lift tile and shingles to roofs. They are basically a vertical track that a cart rolls on to lift things. You can even build your own:

Is there a different place you could keep the wood rack?

Reactions: EbS-P
make more kids. they pay for themselves with the child tax credit and firewood hauling capability! it's a win win situation.

make more kids. they pay for themselves with the child tax credit and firewood hauling capability! it's a win win situation.
I think the shingle lift idea would be more reliable. No care and feeding, no coercion required.

Reactions: ClintonH