How to measure correct chainsaw pitch on saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't know if the MS 170 uses the same cutting equipment as the 150/151, but the 5.7 lb rating is without the bar or chain. I run it with the same 12" B&C setup as my pole pruner, which is nice.

Your back must be better than mine. I'm never putting a 12-14" bar on one of my saws again no matter how little it is.

Maybe I should look at pole saws... I've never owned one but now that you mention it, a real short pole saw might be good for old people and limbing, wonder if that's a thing?

Narrower kerf, less parasitic power loss, and lighter saw. I love the tiny 1/4" micro profile chain my my MS150. I felled a 14" DBH tamarack using that saw the other day. I am looking at the Echo CS 1511T pretty hard for another tiny saw, but it comes with 3/8 low profile from the factory and I would definitely change it out for 1/4 like my Stihl has. I could probably fell any tree under 20" DBH with that MS150 and some patience. It would be quicker with my Husky 460, but I don't drag that boat anchor out unless I have to!

How is it sharpening .250 chain? I don't think I've ever seen any.

I already get annoyed at .325 and even low profile .375 sometimes... ;lol

Be careful, I've seen several videos with similar saws, but the comments all say that the circular saw blades just don't handle the high RPM or hard objects very well. I bet it is awesome though, especially for dealing with saplings and other material under 3". I wouldn't mind a setup like that for clearing the several sapling thickets in our woods.

Well, here's what I'd do.

You take your PTO brush hog, weld some wheels to the top, flip it over.... maybe one of those 72" circular sawmill blades? ;lol

Reactions: SpaceBus
How is it sharpening .250 chain? I don't think I've ever seen any.

I already get annoyed at .325 and even low profile .375 sometimes... ;lol
Yea, the .250 is not fun hand filing. I bought my 12v precision grinder with the tiny chains in mind. It goes quick with the grinder.