How to PAINT a soapstone stove (Woodstock Fireview)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 10, 2022
Northeastern Vermont
I want to paint this ugly soapstone over with some paint. I am going to paint over all the brick and old wood in this whole house while I'm at it. Maybe a nice builder's beige color, like the late 90's/early 2000's. Something in the cheapest latex I can find, slopped on with a 50 cent brush. Make it hard for the next owners after I die.

Hahahaha.

So for real, I got the official paint from Woodstock Stove Company to paint the metal parts.
The stove is an old "belly baffle" (obscure model) and I just installed the rebuild kit (Woodstock complete baffle kit) to convert it into a 201. Anyway, you know the stove I am talking about.... what it looks like.

How do I paint the metal parts without getting paint on the soapstone? Painter's tape? I am worried that it will leak under the tape. I also worry that once any paint gets on the stone it would soak in and be very difficult to remove. It is spray paint, btw.

Has anyone ever painted one of these stoves? The metal is beat, but the soapstone is so beautiful on this particular stove. Woodstock now makes five colours, which are all pretty tasteful. I got the metallic brown, because I already have a blue Jotul stove, and my three antique stoves are standard off-black / dark-grey stove polish color. Also the brown contrasts the blue stone nicely.

But nobody cares what color I bought!

How to I paint the iron parts of the stove ?!

Thank you!!!

Tape it off and paint it like anything else. If you get a little paint on the stove buff it off with 0000 steel wool

That's it?!
I was worried it would be a catastrophe.
Okay.

Has anyone painted one of these (or metal parts on any soapstone stove)?
Was there any problem?
Yes I have which is why I told you what to do. I mean yeah it's a pain to tape but not that big of a deal

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Years ago I painted my Fireview but I didn’t use spray paint, regular black high temp paint in a can. Just free hand with brush.

Hmmm. That is interesting.
Woodstock sells their paint in spray cans.
Maybe I am overthinking this. I just envisioned paint leaking behind the tape... and then being stuck to the stone forever, I mean, have you ever tried to get paint off of bricks? It is impossible. I had to grind it off.

Hmmm. That is interesting.
Woodstock sells their paint in spray cans.
Maybe I am overthinking this. I just envisioned paint leaking behind the tape... and then being stuck to the stone forever, I mean, have you ever tried to get paint off of bricks? It is impossible. I had to grind it off.
Yes but soap stone is nothing like brick. Paint comes off easily

Several years ago we had a user repaint his Fireview. He used Stove Brite, brush paint out of a can. The results were excellent.

Yes but soap stone is nothing like brick. Paint comes off easily
Thanks, that is good to know.
Several years ago we had a user repaint his Fireview. He used Stove Brite, brush paint out of a can. The results were excellent.
This would be easier. But Woodstock sold me the spray paint.
I don't know what is worse... taping the stone, or free hand with brush. Anyway thanks for the info, as Stove Brite has lots of colors.

I find taping and brush on works well, rub on polish even better. Soapstone cleans up really well with super fine steel wool!

just spray in a cup, and then use a brush.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
I find taping and brush on works well, rub on polish even better. Soapstone cleans up really well with super fine steel wool!
Rub-on stove polish is temporary and is not good if painting is desired in the future. It sets up a barrier that inhibits good paint bonding unless it is completely removed which is a pita.

I like stove polish on my 3 antique stoves. It functions perfectly and gives the look I want.

But on the soapstone, i like the idea of paint. My Jotul is blue-black (like pen ink). I love it. I am planning brown against the blue soapstone. Either a light metallic brown, or a dark bronze.

Thanks everybody for tips.