How to store and move the knots and butts and lumps and chunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Having the attitude of "waste not" means I bring everything back from the woods, no matter how ugly it may be. This has left me with a pile of sheared knots, small chunks and various other morsels of hardwoods. Some are perfectly straight splits, that are very short. I don't put them on the pile because it would mess the stack up for certain. With all my efforts this past winter, and frankly, my good fortunes with finding wood, I have brought in and split n stacked about 12 cords so far. The stack of knots and shorts is pushing 2/3 of a cord on it's own. The stuff will burn great, no doubt. Just not sure how to best deal with storing and moving it for burning later on. My first inclination is to scatter the top foot or so of the stack with the stuff. At least I could bring it in gradually as I move through the stack. I was also thinking of bagging it and selling it for small stoves and patio fire pits. Any suggestions appreciated.

I personally use that stuff including the semi-punk for burning in the back yard in the shoulder / summer months. Friends show up, fire in the yard, a few cold beers... you know what I'm talking about. (?? - I hope)

You can start a scrap (crap) pile for the shoulder months when you don't necesarily need to get the stove loaded to the hilt. (?) I have a few $4.00 lanscape timbers on blocks, stacked with this stuff for both shoulder indoor, and shoulder out door burning.

Just my $0.02 for what its worth.

what i do like you said , stack them on the very top of the rows i already have.
or i have some pallets that i pile them on as neat as possible, just a pile really but try and keep some air flow.

i was also thinking of building a small box with pallets and just throwing all the small stuff in it.
useing the whole pallet as the side's and bottom.

or sure just use them for the outside fire pit.

I'm with fish on this one. I burn everything also which means keeping everything :roll: I just layed for pallets down into a square then stood up four along the edges to form an L. I just drove in T post to hold the pallets up and throw all my chunks, shortys etc in that "bin" area.

Every year I accumulate up to 1 truckload of the same - short cuts,slabs,knots,roots,scrap from the Alaskan mill & bandsaw off cuts,odd & ends,scrap from cutting out circles for bowl blanks,etc...Pieces that are too small/odd to go in the stacks yet too big to go in one of my lidded cans/barrels for kindling.I dont waste anything,whether its wood from parents acreage,stuff I scrounged for free or was paid to remove.

They just get tossed in a pile & is the first wood I burn in early Fall & the last in early Spring.

We do all of our outdoor cooking/grilling with hardwood so that stuff goes on the cooking pile pallets.

Any apple growers near you? You could maybe get one of those big ol' apple bins? They look like they could hold a heck of a lot of wood.

I made bins out of pallets. I use the shorts and uglies for camping and for shoulder season. Currently I have three bins filled, each bin is about 4 x 5 by 5 foot tall

I think both have been mentioned, but I cap my stacks with the shorts and uglies. It's the first to get picked from for bonfires and grilling. What doesn't fit on the stack get tossed in a pile or I give to the neighbors for their fire pit.

mywaynow said:
Having the attitude of "waste not" means I bring everything back from the woods, no matter how ugly it may be. This has left me with a pile of sheared knots, small chunks and various other morsels of hardwoods. Some are perfectly straight splits, that are very short. I don't put them on the pile because it would mess the stack up for certain. With all my efforts this past winter, and frankly, my good fortunes with finding wood, I have brought in and split n stacked about 12 cords so far. The stack of knots and shorts is pushing 2/3 of a cord on it's own. The stuff will burn great, no doubt. Just not sure how to best deal with storing and moving it for burning later on. My first inclination is to scatter the top foot or so of the stack with the stuff. At least I could bring it in gradually as I move through the stack. I was also thinking of bagging it and selling it for small stoves and patio fire pits. Any suggestions appreciated.

For this heating season that hopefully is getting done we stacked in a seperate pile then burned in the shoulder season.

Zap

What I do with my pile of chunks, punks and uglies that do not stack well . . .

Build a Holz Miete and throw 'em in the middle.

Toss the punks, chunks and uglies on top of your regular stack when you're finished stacking to the height you want to be at.

Toss 'em aside and burn 'em in the Fall or Spring when you don't necessarily need or want to stuff every cubic inch of your firebox with firewood.

In my own case I do all three things . . . but end up burning most of my chunks, punks and uglies in the Fall and Spring . . . in fact for the first few weeks this Fall I mostly burned from my CPU pile . . . I think it wasn't until late October or early November that I started on the wood in my woodshed.

We use a lot of the uglies to just throw on top of the stacks because we use old metal roofing and the uglies will weight down the roofing so it doesn't blow into the next county when we have high winds.

As for the short pieces and even a few of the uglies, I do put these right into the stacks and have no problem. It is just a matter of how you stack. For instance, you might have a piece with a big knot. It won't be straight in the row so just fill in that space with another uglie turned around or a short one. Doing it this way we never seem to end up with lots of odd shapes sitting somewhere else other than in the wood pile. The worst of them or the really small stuff gets burned usually in spring or fall.

I pile those on the tops of the rows and burn them with everything else. If I burn outside and need to grab some wood, I grab those first...

I cut to about 20 inches and stack on a long line of pallets. I put two rows on the pallets to give the splits plenty of air. That leaves a big gap in the middle of the rows of stacks so I toss the knots and little uglies into the gap.

throw 'em on the fire with the rest of the logs ;)

They get tossed in their own heap from the splitter and then tossed in the stove. I started burning them in the winter instead of the shoulder season this year. I figure I can run the stove a little warmer without overheating the house. That way if they aren't perfectly dry, I'm not gunking the cap up. It worked pretty well and kept my pile of chunks under control. I need to get my hands on some of those apple bins.

Attachments

• 042310chunks.jpg
    042310chunks.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 285
I also stack them on top of my piles but if I had an exceedingly large amount I'd be tempted to make a box or 3 out of pallets.

Something like this
worm-bin-150x150.jpg

pen

I am thinking of using a pallet with 2x4 corner posts and chicken wire walls. Could make 4 of them with 3 ft walls and pile high to get all the shorts off the ground. Cover with a contractors garbage bag cut to a sheet and bungy cord it down. Just have to figure a good place to hide such an ugly thought.

Well, finally got the time and initiative to deal with the pile of chuniks. The burlap bags held 150lbs of coffee beans at one time, but now are 3/4 full of wood parts. I believe it took 28 bags to clean up the pile. They are all stacked on pallets now, drying and waiting their calling.

Attachments

• tree55.jpg
    tree55.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 152
  • tree54.jpg
    tree54.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 192
Do they really dry well like that?

Burlap breathes and they are small. There will be a tarp over the top soon as well. The stuff was stacked in a pile for a while too. I most likely won't try to use any until 2012 if not later. Unless I find a potential way to sell it, it is in a spot that I will not come to for 4 years anyway. There's a lot of splits in line before these bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.