How to tell if pallet wood is treated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JKanor

Oct 17, 2018
Northeast PA
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a BK princess and I'm aware or not being able to burn anything pressure treated or what not. I have unlimited pallets available from my dads work, a mix of pine and some oak. In the past some of them have burned funny or either smoldered or raged in my non EPA stove, like no in between.

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to tell if the wood has been treated or anything so I could split the boards up for starter wood and burn the supports after pulling the nails?

Usually on old treated wood I can see some green color towards the outer edges when I cut a piece of it. Good in you for now burning it. Some don’t care but it’s not good to release the chems into the air by burning the stuff.