How we looking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
woody.jpg

How many years ahead are you?

Five severe winters minimum,to the left not visible is a split pile over 40 feet long x10 wide and about 5 high.

Reactions: Blazing
Five severe winters minimum,to the left not visible is a split pile over 40 feet long x10 wide and about 5 high.
How long and high are all the stacks? I love it. I look forward to seeing you on a future episode of "Horders".

Last edited:
How long and high are all the stacks? I love it. I look forward to seeing you on a future episode of "hrrders".
The long stack up front is just at 100ft,with a twin row behind it. Stacks vary from 4 to 6 ft.Probably 500 ft of stacked wood.

qNjhoMEkH3ZbsHqjlIoS5JEhG0nw2nUJNr84RhCN6oh2zSq0m8DIf1Tn1rvxcuNFvSC98Lo6S3gqp-SIyYE=w871-h653-no.jpg

Nice! Only thing I can say is there looks to be plenty more space for stacking :cool:

Plus a couple dozen fallen ash,and a dozen standing that need cut,whenever.Love burning ash in a year dry as a bone,in my area it seems to last unusually long before it rots.It baffles me when guys say it goes bad quickly.

i got a half cord of ash been drying for 2 years. i pickup a piece and it seems heavy that's why it got another year. so i lift another this year it's still just as heavy as green oak so i took a piece split that and it says 16% on the meter. is ash always like this?

i got a half cord of ash been drying for 2 years. i pickup a piece and it seems heavy that's why it got another year. so i lift another this year it's still just as heavy as green oak so i took a piece split that and it says 16% on the meter. is ash always like this?
Yes most of the time. Around here dead standing for 4 or 5 years is solid as a rock if the tree was in good shape before the borers started in on it. Ash has a tighter grain than oak so maybe that's why it doesn't rot away as fast.

I had the same thing going on it looked like it wasn't drying even after being stacked two years,when I started pulling pieces off the rack it was at 15 to 17%bone dry and two pieces popped together sounded like two baseball bats.Good stuff.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
BTU Battery Bank...

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualized behaviors you feel compelled to perform.

But I love it. Nice job!!!

P4EubEwc-uJpvGChIKiQHS3xH4Wagtsra9Qc7m7vOCf2a50OD3UXIoqCrVTBxnCmKYjeXQ8fWekLbX3HNLI=w879-h659-no.jpg

This is a better picture of some of my stacks... As you can see, I still have a few piles to stack, and a few to split... This is not including the stuff for this year, or the couple of trees that have to come down still (don't worry, they are elms!!)

View attachment 215327
This is a better picture of some of my stacks... As you can see, I still have a few piles to stack, and a few to split... This is not including the stuff for this year, or the couple of trees that have to come down still (don't worry, they are elms!!)

You know you have a lot of wood when you need to take the aerial recon photograph.:)

You know you have a lot of wood when you need to take the aerial recon photograph.:)

I tell my wife that if she looks at it from the top, it doesn't look like that much. The stacks still haven't shown up on google yet :)

i do have a very easy roof to get a good vantage point...

Reactions: Soundchasm
Bish,
The property looks much cleaner than last year when we were bantering
about all the mess we were bringing home. LOL

Mine's mostly cleaned up too into da stax and redneck woodshed.

(Both our wives weren't super impressed by the mess, and instead of
splitting, we kept bringing home more roadside gold. hehehehehe)

CheapMark

Reactions: Dobish
Bish,
The property looks much cleaner than last year when we were bantering
about all the mess we were bringing home. LOL

Mine's mostly cleaned up too into da stax and redneck woodshed.

(Both our wives weren't super impressed by the mess, and instead of
splitting, we kept bringing home more roadside gold. hehehehehe)

CheapMark
It feels good to be ahead. I'm enjoying it right now!
befdf4d3c012226d0cfb51db5e6eda57.jpg

Lookin' good indoors too there in Colorado!
We did our hearth up finally in
a "Pintrest special" mortar wall with the
rocks traced out before the stuff cured.
Ceramic tile-topped base pad.

Gonna be a warm winter with a neat appearance making it warm to the eyes. lol